Thread: Saturated Fat vs. Trans Fat

Default Saturated Fat vs. Trans Fat

by Michael Morning on 09.1.10

I was just over at the American Heart Disease – er, Association – website and I think we can find a good lesson there. In a nutshell, these nutritionally dense people are missing the forest for the trees and not clearly defining the issues.

Long story short, they basically look at saturated fat and trans fats and call their effects equal. They will tell you that both cause a rise in LDL and a decrease in HDL. And that’s true as far as it goes…but it’s VERY deceptive.

But before we get to why this is deceptive, it’s first important to note that they don’t mention a single one of the other problems with trans fat, including the fact that it’s been shown to cause systemic inflammation, weaken the immune system, cause a disproportionate storage of fat around the belly and organs (a heart disease risk factor), and, potentially, many forms of cancer. In essence, it’s a toxin that should have no more place in your diet than rat poison.

Back to the deceptive part…
    Saturated fat and trans fat both do cause somewhat varying increases in LDL with a lowering of HDL. However, groups like the AHA are not defining LDL. There are two types, Pattern A and Pattern B. The former is a relatively benign larger molecule that’s not implicated in heart disease. The latter, however, is the small molecule VLDL that is directly related to heart disease.
    And in case you haven’t already guessed, saturated fat tends to cause a rise in harmless Pattern A while trans fat causes a rise in the Pattern B (VLDL). So do these so-called scientists (educated bureaucrats) really not know the difference…or do they honestly believe it doesn’t make a difference?

Aside from the negative aspects, we can also find a remarkable difference between saturated fat and trans fats in their health benefits:
    With trans fats, that’s easy; there are none.
    With saturated fats, however, there are numerous health benefits, including strengthening the immune system, providing cell integrity, aiding calcium and fat-soluble vitamin absorption, supporting a healthy brain, heart, lungs and kidneys, preventing strokes, and on and on. These fats are also the best to cook with because they resist heat better than polyunsaturated oils like canola, thus producing less free radicals and less carcinogenic byproducts.

Finally, the medical establishment and, really, people as a whole, need to come to the realization that dietary fat is not the same thing as body fat. I wish someone had come up with different names for these two things because “fat” is really not a descriptive term for the fatty acids stored in the lipid cells of our bodies. Carbohydrates and even protein tend to store far more readily as body fat than dietary fat. But try getting anyone to believe that.

Interestingly, bodybuilders and farmers have both figured this one out on their own. Bodybuilders have been cutting out carbs. since the 60′s and 70′s to build lean physiques and farmers have been feeding their cattle grain forever to fatten them for market.

For a tremendous breakdown of why saturated fats have been wrongly disparaged, plus a detailed listing of the scientific evidence, read THIS ARTICLE.

http://www.michaelmorning.com/2010/09/saturated-fat-vs-trans-fat/

Default Re: Saturated Fat vs. Trans Fat

Beautifully written, Islander. I enjoyed reading every word, as well as most of the referenced article by the two Weston A. Price Foundation founders, Sally Fallon and Mary Enig. There are many more article by these two ladies at the Foundation's web site: http://westonaprice.org/

The Foundation "is dedicated to restoring nutrient-dense foods to the human diet through education, research and activism. It supports a number of movements that contribute to this objective including accurate nutrition instruction, organic and biodynamic farming, pasture-feeding of livestock, community-supported farms, honest and informative labeling, prepared parenting and nurturing therapies. Specific goals include establishment of universal access to clean, certified raw milk and a ban on the use of soy formula for infants."

I've heard they are heavily supported by the American dairy associations, and probably the beef growers, and so can be expected to lean toward, as they say "nutrient-dense" foods.

I think they are right on when they say the current American diet, compared to the "turn of the century" (by which they mean that OTHER turn of the century) diet, is now way high in polyunsaturated oils (up to 30% by calories). They recommend polyunsaturated fats should comprise at most 4%: 2 1/2% omega-6 and 1 1/2% omega-3. They mention that native populations in both temperate and tropical climates consume about these percentages from natural whole sources such as legumes, nuts, fish (for the grosser amounts) but also green vegetables. Not from commercial vegetable oils.

Then they make a slight slip, and just say that "Excess consumption of polyunsaturated oils has been shown to contribute to a large number of disease conditions including increased cancer and heart disease; immune system dysfunction; damage to the liver...." This implies that ANY excess would cause the problems. Even though the very last sentence preceding was "Not from commercial vegetable oils".

So intentionally or not, they are doing with "polyunsaturated oils" the same deception that you explained that the American Heart Association did with respect to saturated fats and trans fats. They are saying that an "excess" of polyunsaturated oils causes the modern diseases listed. I doubt anyone has even tested what an excess of organic, cold pressed, and dark-container, cold stored polyunsaturated oils would do to a group of humans over a period of time!

They go on to say its "too much omega-6". And yes, I the defender of "give us at least our 2 1/2% intake of omega-6" say again, I doubt anyone has tested healthy omega-6 intake. They are all using Wesson safflower oil, or a reasonable fuksimily, calling it "polyunsaturated oil" as if there's no other kind, but also pointing out that it is "omega-6", which it surely is, but not as you would get from you farmer's market legumes, greens, walnuts and wheat berries.

What we have evidence of, and all we have evidence of, but I think there is enough of it to say we have conclusive evidence of, is that the commercial vegetable oils and trans fats that are being put into our bodies in all kinds of succulent and tasty foods available at our local markets and junk food outlets to the extent of 30% of our calorie intake are what is causing all these modern diseases. And if we got rid of just those consumer products, that 26% of our calorie intake and left the healthy 4% of polyunsaturated oils taken in from food sources, then we would rid ourselves of most of the modern diseases. We'd be back to "native status quo".

Then we could work on toxic chemicals, electromagnetic fields, and stress as causes of disease. But if Brian Peskin is correct, the adulterated oils are the primary cause of cancer and the other things like pollution are secondary. Here's a good 3 page summary of why you need to have healthy polyunsaturated oils, and no adulterated ones, written by Andrew Rader, and acupuncturist and herbalist:

http://www.brianpeskin.com/BP.com/pu...heory-1.09.pdf Page 2 explains why you don't want to be eating oils that have been adulterated, oxidized, etc.

Now, back on topic, I think your information on the importance of saturated fats, together with this information on the importance of unsaturated fats, both in only adequate quantities gives us a chance to understand the total fat requirement a bit better.

I'll work with you to find another name for one of the two fats (body vs dietary) if you help me find another name for one of the two omega-6's (healthy vs adulterated). Of course you realize, if you accept this challenge, that you will be taking on a couple (at least) of the worlds most powerful, lying conspiracies that have unlimited resources that they will aim at upsetting our organic apple carts.

It's way too late tonight to accept your challenge, Stoneharbor, but I see your point. I make the same case for carbs: there really ought to be two separate food groups for the starchy grainy carbs vs. the green leafy carbs. But I digress.

You do realize that I write nothing original here, only re-post published work of others. It just bothered me a little when you said, "Beautifully written, Islander," when Michael Morning was the author.

Hey Stoneharbor, nice to see you posting on HH.
    I just wanted to mention on the 6:00 news the other night Dr Jay (what's his name) was saying that saturated fat and trans fats were bad and should be avoided. He totally lumped the two together and then went on to say that coconut oil should be avoided. This was the day after JM was on OZ talking about coconut oil. How counfusing this must be for some people, and how frustrating to see old myths being perpetuated.

Hi bmc65. Still see you active on Mercola and enjoy your input. My TV died last Spring and I've been free of that media ever since. Keep putting off the temptation and it gets less and less each month.

Could it be that the mega-businesses fed Dr. Jay the words, as their pit-bull, and released him to at least spread confusion?

After thinking in bed last night what I had written, and Islander/Michael Morning had written, I began to realize that agri/drug biz is really just hanging by a thread now. Fighting tooth and toenail to keep the confusion alive, and it mostly, ultimately hangs on the intentional mis-use of a few words, like "saturated" and "omega-6" and "natural" to keep their show on the road. Yes, these words can then support whole articles and interviews can be presented including deceptive "studies" and "tests", but I believe that people standing up and explaining the intentional mis-information and mis-use of words is what is needed to clear the air.

I have functioned, before retirement, as an efficiency consultant, and continue to think that way. What I am continually looking for in addition to the truth about health, is an efficient way to REVEAL the truth, and reveal the deception and the huge expense the deception costs the public, and reveal it across as wide a spectrum as possible. Yes, TV would be great for that, but it's in the hands of the enemy isn't it? What else can we do?

Stoneharbor, that (efficient way to get truth out) is why I support the Weston A. Price Foundation.

Stoneharbor, I wish I knew the answer. This site is my attempt to educate and spread the word. I also signed up for Twitter only to be able to tweet articles there that bring eyeballs here. Within 30 seconds of posting a tweet, I can watch 15-30 guests on the site, reading that article. I have urged mercola readers repeatedly to contact corporations via their websites (Heinz, Libby, Kellogg, Campbell, etc. etc.) and assure them how quickly they would embrace their product if it didn't contain ________ (fill in the blank: HFCS, MSG, etc.) Not very efficient, I admit, but change is happening. I can walk the aisles and see some products proclaiming in bold print, NO HFCS. NO MSG.

Authors like Michael Pollan and movies like Food Inc. and Supersize Me have had an impact on the public, and both print and broadcast media have picked up on the local/organic/unprocessed trend. In fact, I credit Pollan with being the "agent of change" to direct the nation's attention to what's wrong with the way America eats. I'm sure Joe Mercola has played a role as well.

Each one teach one. I started something when I asked the 18-year-old in the produce section last August if their sweet corn was GM. He had no idea what GM meant so I gave him the 3-minute infomercial. He went off in search of the produce manager and I followed. Behind closed doors, things were happening. I waited. Through the window I could see the manager on the phone. Soon afterward, the young man returned and reported that the Hannaford chain does not carry GM produce, period. As we walked back, he asked for more data so I gave him the 5-minute infomercial. He was interested and attentive, his eyes opened to something going on all around him that he was clueless about 15 minutes ago. Each encounter like this makes the light shine a little brighter.

I have a poster in the works that site users can download, print, and spread around (supermarket bulletin board, natural food store, local library etc.) touting this site. It has tear-off tails at the bottom with the site's URL. I've been holding off on revising and fine-tuning it till after we upgraded to the current version and got the inevitable bugs out. Probably time to get back to it now and present it to you all in final draft form.

Please chime in with whatever efficiencies you can suggest!
    Last edited by Islander; 01-23-11 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks Reesa and Islander. Both good ideas. I've never tried twitter. Used Facebook for a short while and became afraid of it. But I've thought they both hold promise for spreading the word quickly.

Yes, the each one teach is a good example. On the surface it seems slow, but if you think about networking, each person may contact many per day and if they just use most of the opportunities to make conversation and direct the attention to the chosen subject, then there can be great power in that. Great story about the produce department!

How about starting a forum subject for efficient ways to spread the word, as we're really talking about saving lives here as I see it! I would rather leave that up to you two, as administrator and moderator. I'll get braver in the future!

Along these lines, many months ago I went on a website that will let you build your own bumper sticker. I made one with the normal "just say no" logo, but it said "Just say no to drugs -- yes to vitamins" to punch one to the legal drug industry. I have it on my farm truck but not my car! I don't want the windows broken out of my car. I've thought of putting an ad on eBay asking for a minimum bid of $400,000 for the copyright to the bumpersticker, hoping the big drug associations would just buy it, but feeling it was more likely they would have it yanked and probably me as well. So I'm keeping relatively quiet.

LOL! I'm a libby living in a nest of conservatives. I have NO bumper stickers on my car....

Nice get-rich-quick scheme you have there.

Thread Information