Thread: Low Fat vs. Low Carb

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Default Low Fat vs. Low Carb

Science as a Candle in the Dark
    by Fred Hahn on October 2, 2010

That of course is the subtitle of the late Carl Sagan’s 1995 book The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark. (Affiliate link.) A book I read on my honeymoon 14 years ago on the island of St. John. A book that changed the way I view everything.

Not many things in life affect a person profoundly (though I believe that more things should.) We are often numb to things that should have great meaning to us and rather than embrace the experience, concept or idea, we give it short shrift or ignore it completely. This is a shame because we have such precious little time here. We are all too often walking in our sleep.

While sauntering around in our human fog, it’s commonplace to kid ourselves and talk about things – things we know little or nothing about – with staunch conviction. We often blindly accept concepts that we do not understand; concepts we have not researched or studied but which require such. And one of them is nutrition.

The USDA recently came out with its 2010 guidelines. The major changes from the last published guidelines are:
    1. Eat even less saturated fats
    2. Eat less salt
    That’s about it.
    The table at the top of this post indicates the rising levels of obesity in the U.S. since the USDA has introduced its guidelines. Yep – we’re getting fatter – a lot fatter. The excuse of course is that no one is following the darn guidelines! But that is not true. Take a look at the NHANES data for macronutrient consumption:

As you can see, we have indeed complied. We have decreased total fat intake and increased carb intake.

Many of the proponents of the current guidelines poo-poo this and state that this is because the type of carbs that people have been eating more of are the refined carbs, not fruits and vegetables.

OK but the refined carbs are what the USDA wants us to eat the most of. Take a look-see:

So we have indeed complied. And we have indeed gotten fatter and sicker. Since the powers that be are clearly motivated by profit and impervious to nutritional reality, who do we call for help? Ghost Busters? Enter the Metabolism Society. Enter Science as a candle in the dark. If you care about your family, if you care about yourself, if you care about your fellow man you will read this paper in its entirety.

Here we go. Paul Revere would be proud.

(The paper in its entirety is written definitely in science-speak for those of us rusty on reading such things. Katee)
    Last edited by Islander; 10-02-10 at 05:07 PM.

Default Re: Low Fat vs. Low Carb

I need to come back to this when I have more time. Meanwhile, a lot of nutritionists have criticized the 2010 guidelines as little more than corporate promotion. I think I posted one of those in the NUTRITION forum.

Random thoughts, prior to reading the article:
    • low-fat often means high sugar
    • low-fat means we aren't getting the sat fats we need
    • refined carbs may heighten gluten intolerance
    • HFCS was introduced in the early 80s and may play a role
    • the increasing trend of both parents working means more cheap, fast, prepared convenience foods

Back later.........

Default Re: Low Fat vs. Low Carb

Low fat also leads to depression, hormonal problems, and dry skin.
    The fats they promote in the low-fat diets are heat treated vegetable oils which encourage inflammation, insead of good fats like extra-virgin coconut oil, olive oil, butter, lard, etc.

Thread Information