Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Vitamin D Levels Linked to Metabolic Syndrome

Default Low Vitamin D Levels Linked to Metabolic Syndrome

October 1, 2010
    By Carey Rossi

New research show that lacking the sunshine vitamin has a serious down side — metabolic syndrome and the major health threats associated with it. Metabolic syndrome is the name for a group of risk factors linked to being overweight that includes having a large waist, low HDL cholesterol levels, high fasting blood glucose and triglyceride levels, and high blood pressure.
    According to findings of a large cohort study presented at the Endocrine Society’s 92nd Annual Meeting in San Diego, insufficient and deficient levels of vitamin D may increase the risk of metabolic syndrome by approximately 40%.

Specifically, 1,300 Dutch men and women ages 65 and older had their blood sampled. Nearly 50% were vitamin D deficient, and were more likely to have metabolic syndrome than the subjects who were not deficient in the vitamin. These findings support previous ones and build upon studies that have previously linked vitamin D to impaired insulin secretion and resistance.

This isn’t the only way being deficient in D affects the body. Science has found that conditions such as osteopenia, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, fractures, common cancers, autoimmune diseases, infectious diseases, cardiovascular diseases, and diabetes could happen because the body lacks the vitamin.
    While currently researchers recommend a minimum of 1,000 IU of vitamin D daily, go to your doctor and have your blood tested to determine whether you’re deficient and find out what the perfect daily dose is for you.

http://tinyurl.com/25ywx9x

Default Re: Low Vitamin D Levels Linked to Metabolic Syndrome

I wonder what current research he's been reading...because what I've been reading is that 4000-5000 IU/day is a maintenance dose. If you are deficient, 10,000 IU/day would be more appropriate, at least for a few weeks, until you can re-test. There have been virtually no reports in the literature of Vitamin D toxicity.

EmmaPeel@Work

Boy, if they really want to test the efficacy of Vit. D/and sunshine on health, they should come here and study people who work night shifts.

...some of the most unhealthiest people I have ever seen work nights regularly...obese, grey pallor, brittle bones, depressed immune systems, adrenal fatigue, diabetes, hypertension...:(

My first two jobs in mental health were night shifts (well, 11-7 and 3-11). The 3-11 staff were normal enough, but the 11-7? One fat aide and me. Not that the job was demanding: 52 senile geriatric incontinent women. Duties: change bed linens & wash bums as needed; when we lost one, call the on-call to pronounce her, then wash her, stuff her, tag her toe and roll her to the morgue. Sounds callous, but you know what? Other than staff, there was not one single person in the world who cared about them. At least we gave them a respectful sendoff.

Respect means a lot-they were blessed to have you walk with them that last bit of the earthly journey.
    My beloved John had a good death at home surrounded by love and family and was shown such respect by all. That gives me great comfort as I go through the grieving process....

Mercola is recommending 5,000 IU for adults maintenance dose.
    Last edited by Reesacat; 10-08-10 at 08:00 PM.

EmmaPeel@Work

Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    My first two jobs in mental health were night shifts (well, 11-7 and 3-11). The 3-11 staff were normal enough, but the 11-7? One fat aide and me. Not that the job was demanding: 52 senile geriatric incontinent women. Duties: change bed linens & wash bums as needed; when we lost one, call the on-call to pronounce her, then wash her, stuff her, tag her toe and roll her to the morgue. Sounds callous, but you know what? Other than staff, there was not one single person in the world who cared about them. At least we gave them a respectful sendoff.
    I know exactly what you mean. It is so sad when people have to die alone, and no one will ever have to on my watch...

Getting back to the health issue of Vit. D. and circadian rhythm's...Back when I was a newbie, we worked 12 hour night shifts (7pm-7am)and talk about horrible. Not that the job was demanding either(aside from the odd combative brain injured patient), but it was very hard on the body in other ways. Never being one who slept well during the day, it was very hard to adjust and I began to display a myriad of health symptoms after about 6 months...headaches, moments of forgetfulness, I caught every bug going around, aches and pains, irregular menses..you name it.

If only I had known about Vit. D. back then...might have helped with keeping me free from being a walking receptacle for germs...but I still have this issue with insomnia when I take it...I can not take it everyday, but every second day and not anywhere near the doses that are recommended. I get hyper and can't sleep when I should. Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    I wonder what current research he's been reading...because what I've been reading is that 4000-5000 IU/day is a maintenance dose. If you are deficient, 10,000 IU/day would be more appropriate, at least for a few weeks, until you can re-test. There have been virtually no reports in the literature of Vitamin D toxicity.
    If your levels are seriously low, 5000IU is nothing and it will take a very very long time to bring them up. Even at 10,000/day it would take several months to raise levels from say 25 to 40. Unfortunately, when docs do prescribe Vitamin D, 9 times out of 10 it is D2, not D3. The body cannot utilize D2 and must convert it to D3. Of course, you can't predict how well it will be converted. D2 is usually given in huge doses, like 100,000 units.

EmmaPeel@Work

Can someone please explain the mechanism for why D3 keeps me up?
    Over stimulating the pineal? Pooped thyroid? Adrenal fatigue? All of the above?

Emma, I've read anecdotal evidence that it has that effect on some; I thought it might be the cause of my insomnia too, but that proved not t be the case. I wonder, does plain sunlight have the same effect, or is it only the oral D?

EmmaPeel@Work

No, the opposite. Direct sunlight even in a dose of 30 minutes will make me very sleepy. I have to nap if I have any direct sun on my skin for longer than 20 minutes...but it also depends on the intensity. Been like that ever since I was a kid...

I would be no fun on a southern sun vacation in the sand...need to stay in the shade.

Final diagnosis: you are built inside-out & backwards. Return for re-tooling.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong View Post
    If your levels are seriously low, 5000IU is nothing and it will take a very very long time to bring them up. Even at 10,000/day it would take several months to raise levels from say 25 to 40.
    Wow, thanks for this. Dr. Mercola is always so vague on what it will take to get up to a healthy level!

Like Islander, I worked in a mental hospital while finishing the last 2 years of college in Southern California. After training and some time on the 3-11 shift, I was always on the 11-7 shift, and got about 5 hours sleep per day and ate horribly. I guess one thing that helped was my attraction to the sun though. Once or twice a week I would finish classes by noon, and then go into the mountains to get above the smog (4000 foot level) and doze for a couple of hours in the sun on a forest service road, then go home and sleep during the afternoon, though sometimes only from dinner until 10:30. On the weekends I might go to the beach. I knew nothing about vitamin D though. Being in the sun was very refreshing though. And of course I was earthing too!

Stoneharbor, there's immense variability among individuals based on age, size/weight, lifestyle and just general physiology. As Mellowsong says, 10,000 IU/day may take months...or only a matter of weeks...to reach the desired level. Have you ever had your levels checked? People who think they are at a healthy level are often surprised at their first test.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Have you ever had your levels checked? People who think they are at a healthy level are often surprised at their first test.
    I don't really have time or money to go have things checked. I may do the on-line hair analysis thing soon. Thanks to everyone, especially you, Islander, for lots of good advice. But thanks to my strange nature, I only follow what seems easy to do! Any suggestions for easy hair analysis?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneharbor View Post
    Any suggestions for easy hair analysis?
    Only the info I already gave you. But the vitamin D test is simple and relatively cheap, for me anyway. I have a choice of blood draws within 6 miles of me in several directions. They are walk-in labs and it takes a few short minutes to do the blood draw; results back in under a week. Medicare covers mine (spring & fall) but out of pocket should be under $50 or it can be done on line, I'm told. My feeling is there's not much point in supplementing until you have a baseline. Hair analysis will not give you this info, BTW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information