Thread: I lost ten years of my life as a middle class, NHS sponsored drug addict...

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Default I lost ten years of my life as a middle class, NHS sponsored drug addict...

I'm not going to recreate the whole article here because it is quite long. Also, the comments at the original site are quite worth reading. This is one account (anecdotal) of what can happen when a doctor prescribes medication for something that is normal, whether that be grief, adjusting to changes in life (new baby or a marriage or divorce), or stress. (This is Britain, so their way of doing things is a bit different than the US, but the result is much the same.)

The problem began when I got married. Uncertain about the commitment I had just made and torn between wanting to leave my wife and not wanting to hurt her, I started to drink . . . It was 1998. I was 25 years old, and had been married for just a year . . .

I was told, in the nicest possible way, that I was a depressed alcoholic. I was so shocked I gave up drinking immediately. I have not touched a drop since . . .

Then the doctor prescribed 90 Valium pills and a bottle of beta blockers to help with stress . . . I can still remember looking at the bottle in disbelief. I’d seen people thrown out of nightclubs for possessing two of these pills. The doctor had just given me 90!

. . . Put simply, this is where people seeking short-term help for anxiety end up hooked on powerful mood-altering drugs, sometimes for life.

. . .I remember these pills mostly for their side-effects. In one instance, I was offered a choice of two pills: one would make me fat, the other would give me a sexual dysfunction. I chose the weight gain.

. . . The tipping point came when I visited my GP to speak about my continuing prescriptions. She clicked through my records on her screen and casually noted that I should continue my medication because I was listed as being on my local council’s Severe Mental Health Register . . .

I’d gone to my doctor initially to seek help because I was a young man, overwhelmed and confused by the responsibility of marriage. At what point did I acquire severe mental health issues?

When did I become a threat to myself and others? I’m a threat to an open packet of chocolate biscuits, but not much else. I had found rock bottom.

. . . As of writing, I am 37 and two years clear of my last prescription. I have no mental illness apart from a low hum of depression (partly to do with my situation, as I feel that I have wasted a lot of time).

Life has happy and sad days as it does for everybody, and my mood moves up and down with it. I don’t drink, but only because I know it makes me miserable for a week after I do it, and I accept that at various stages in our lives some of us are more prone to sad thoughts than others.

The Daily Mail

Default Re: I lost ten years of my life as a middle class, NHS sponsored drug addict...

I hear the same thing from people in the USA-they have a rough patch and instead of getting some good counseling get pills and spend years on meds that numb them to life.

Default Re: I lost ten years of my life as a middle class, NHS sponsored drug addict...

I was in an abusive marriage, protecting an autistic child from her father in a foreign country. I had no family, very few friends and absolutely no support system or anyone who would listen. Yes, I became depressed. The resulting psychotropic medications prescribed for me then and for the next 25 years, I feel, cost me most of my adult life. I never responded to the drugs, but instead of dropping them, I was put on more and more and more. I didn't know any better, I was completely brainwashed, first with a degree in pharmacology, then as an RN. I think that the use of psychotropic meds for MOST people, especially for prolonged periods of time, is nothing short of criminal.

Patty, have you seen my recommendation (in RECOMMENDATIONS) of Comfortably Numb?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    Patty, have you seen my recommendation (in RECOMMENDATIONS) of Comfortably Numb?
    Yes, I saw that and have it written down I will say I don't think there was one comfortable day in that entire period of time!

EmmaPeel

Yet again, as I return to HH I am amazed at how similar our experiences are for most of our frequent flyers. Situations are different, but experiences are very close, especially when dealing with allopathic practitioners and being railroaded into medications that in the long run ended up causing long term damage both physically and emotionally.

This article says so much. Thank you Katee.

Mellowsong, your bravery has inspired me. You are one tough cookie & I mean that.

I am not sure if anyone read my post when LabDoc first arrived about my experiences.

All I can say is, I am forever relieved and grateful for not going on meds during a crisis situation in the early ninety's. And that is how I perceived it. A crisis 'situation'. There were events in my life that occurred that I felt I needed to pay attention to, to feel, and to adapt and to manage.

By no means, let me add, that it was easy. That was the most 'hell-on earth' 10 years of my life...

Personally, I decided that I did not need drugs as my doctor insisted...just time, counseling and a good friend or two...

If I had listened to Dr.Dragon Lady, I likely would have lost the wonderful moments of my only child's early life, and set myself up for burying those issues that needed to be dealt with...
    Last edited by EmmaPeel; 10-15-10 at 11:24 AM.

Emma, I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence-drugs just numb, and don't allow the issues to be dealt with.
    I do think sometimes in case of a trauma or shock a bit of tranquilizers/sedation is needed, but the issues have to be dealt with.

Thread Information