Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nature's wonder medicines: Garlic, vinegar and honey

Default Nature's wonder medicines: Garlic, vinegar and honey

by Sophie Playle

Garlic, vinegar and honey have all been used as both food and medicine in numerous cultures over thousands of years. Their healing properties should not be undermined by modern medicine; often the most simple and natural treatments are the most effective.

GARLIC
    This is considered to be a Super Food. Garlic is highly antibacterial, and studies have proven that it aids immunity, helps prevent heart disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and even cancer due to the presence of allylic sulfur compounds which serve as an anticarcinogen. It has also been reported that garlic can be used to help control blood sugar levels, so along with medical advice, it can be used to help those with diabetes.

Garlic has huge antibacterial properties. It can help heal infections, and can treat parasitic infections such as intestinal worms, as well as fungal infections such as thrush.
    Garlic doesn't even have to be consumed for the benefits to work: contact with the skin also allows absorption. Garlic is a very effective treatment for verrucas and warts due to its antibacterial properties: simply place a slice of raw garlic over the wart and hold in place with a plaster, and replace every day.
    Garlic is also a traditional aphrodisiac. Unfortunately, this doesn't pair well with the famously unpleasant smell of garlic breath! However, a few mints can cover the odour well, and there are even odourless garlic capsules available in health food shops which can be used as a daily supplement.
    The health benefits of garlic are more effective when the garlic is consumed raw or only lightly cooked.

VINEGAR
    Vinegar's use as a traditional household cleaner highlights its highly antibacterial properties. In China, they often use it to help stop the spread of infections such as SARS. Like garlic, it also may help lower cholesterol due to the acetic acid it contains. Many studies have proved that an application of vinegar to a meal helps satiate hunger, causing less food to be consumed, therefore acting as an aid for dieting.

Apple Cider vinegar has been reported to help joint pain and arthritis. Simply drink a glass of water containing two teaspoons of vinegar before each meal. This concoction is also known to relieve stomach aches.
    For over 100 uses of vinegar, including health benefits, visit this useful website:
    http://www.angelfire.c om/cantina/homemaking/vinegar. html

HONEY
    Honey contains protein, vitamins and minerals, but no cholesterol, and has both antioxidant and antibacterial properties.
    Recent studies have proven the beneficial nature in some applications of honey, including as antibacterial treatment for burns and ulcers. The science behind this is that honey has osmotic properties: it withdraws water. Water molecules strongly react with the sugars in honey, leaving little water available for microorganisms, which means the infection-causing bacteria is literally dehydrated to death by honey.

Honey is also traditionally used to alleviate sore throats. Mixing two teaspoons of honey and one teaspoon of vinegar in a mug of boiled water and sipped slowly helps heal and sooth throat infections.
    However, honey can be dangerous to babies due to C. botulinum spores which may be harmful to the undeveloped immune systems of infants.

In all, garlic, vinegar and honey are some of nature's best medical remedies and preventatives. Consuming the right quantities aids general immunity and promotes good health, in addition to the many individual applications and uses these three super foods have.

http://tinyurl.com/2dy6tlt

Default Re: Nature's wonder medicines: Garlic, vinegar and honey

Raw honey is good for cuts, also. I sliced my finger (sneezed, kittehs spooked and landed on my hand as I was washing paring knife)) and have some raw Manuka honey plus Band-Aid on it.
    Looking good so far! The honey was a gift from Katee-it is wonderful stuff! Thanks Katee

Aotearoa - Land of erm... sheep and clouds and grumpy volcanoes

One of my teachers likes to tell a story about when she sliced through her face when an electric fence wire snapped (think The Joker... right through her cheek from the corner of her mouth). She used masses of manuka honey, it healed beautifully, and left not even a scar.

It's a traditional remedy here in NZ... I remember as a kid whenever something was wrong it was zinc ointment and/or manuka honey. The first sign of a sore throat or cold we were given a spoonful of it. Any cuts or scrapes had it slapped on. Burns were honeyed. Always works wonderfully. Nice to see the rest of the world catching on to it now, lol.

We wouldn't be without a jar of Manuka honey in the cupboard.

I ran out the other day - oh nooo, crisis!! Haha. Made do with some of my uncle's amazing Pohutukawa honey instead... yummiest stuff in the world. Did the trick on my blister that was about the size of Australia, ha. Honey ftw.

I have a hot lemon, ginger and manuka honey drink for breakfast every morning. A healthy and tasty treat.

Interesting! I've been doing the same but without the lemon; maybe I need to add that. It seems to have calmed my cough right down. My manuka honey was a gift from Dawn. Is this a Girlfriend tradition? It's so magical, when I did a supplement order this weekend I ordered a jar, to be sure I always have some on hand. Thank you again, Dawn!

Altrude, would you post your recipe? We are going into winter, when that would be good on a cold morning.

We don't follow a particular recipe.
    We just grate enough ginger root into a cup to suit our taste buds. (In our case, that is quite a bit). Add the juice of one lemon, add the hot water, then put in a good teaspoon of manuka honey and enjoy.

I don't have a grater that won't add my blood into the mix, so I dice the ginger very fine and put a tablespoon or so in the mug. Add hot water & a tsp. of honey, steep 10 minutes, eat the ginger as I drink the tea. Pure pleasure!

Afterthought: I do this twice a day, and sometimes put a green tea teabag in the second cup of the day.
    Last edited by Islander; 11-01-10 at 04:34 PM.

The best grater to use for ginger is a ceramic grater made especially for the purpose of grating ginger.

http://www.thefind.com/kitchen/brows...ceramic-grater

Just be careful adding honey to hot water if you want the full medicinal honey effect - hot water kills all the beneficial enzymes and a lot of its properties, so it's better to wait till it's cooled down to sort of lukewarm or slightly warmer and then add the honey.

Of course, if it's only for the taste then add it when it's hot. But if you need the medicinal benefit it's something to bear in mind.

I can't afford Manuka honey but, I do get raw local honey. I have used the raw honey on various infections (including one of my incisions from my hernia surgery) with great results.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyIzzy
    Just be careful adding honey to hot water if you want the full medicinal honey effect - hot water kills all the beneficial enzymes
    If you are using Manuka honey, this isn't necessarily true, Diz. It is to some degree, of course. But my recent research with Manuka honey is that it's unique factor (actually a trademark called UMF or "Unique Manuka Factor" if it is bottled in NZ & only bottled in NZ can use the trademark) is not effected by pasteurization. All other honeys are effected by pasteurization, so anything you buy from the grocery store is automatically worthless. (Well, we know that is true about 95% of what they sell, anyway.) Once pasteurized, honey loses its ability to create hydrogen peroxide.

If you are buying honey, buy it locally & RAW.

Manuka honey is best raw, too, but it does not lose its unique factor due to pasteurization.

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyIzzy
    Just be careful adding honey to hot water if you want the full medicinal honey effect - hot water kills all the beneficial enzymes and a lot of its properties, so it's better to wait till it's cooled down to sort of lukewarm or slightly warmer and then add the honey.

Of course, if it's only for the taste then add it when it's hot. But if you need the medicinal benefit it's something to bear in mind.
    This is why I add the honey last. I use hot water, not boiling water, and by adding the hot water to the lemon juice it is further cooled by the cold lemon juice.

For the same reason when I am making Olive leaf tea, or other herbal teas, I add the hot water to the cup, then add some cold water before adding the infuser with the tea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information