Thread: Adults may not be spreading whooping cough: study

Default Adults may not be spreading whooping cough: study

By Julie Steenhuysen
    Thu Nov 11, 2010

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Children largely spread whooping cough among themselves, so blanket vaccination campaigns targeting teens and adults may be a waste of time, according to a study that looks at how social patterns affect disease transmission. The findings, published on Thursday in the journal Science, contradict the notion that infected adults are behind outbreaks in California and elsewhere of whooping cough, a contagious disease caused by the bacterium Bordetella pertussis.

A U.S. advisory panel last month recommended that adults over 65 be given a booster of the "Tdap" vaccine for tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis, or whooping cough, to protect infants under a year old, who are too young to be vaccinated. But older people may not be the main culprit, Pejman Rohani of the University of Michigan and colleagues say.

Whooping cough, which causes uncontrollable, violent coughing, infects 30-50 million people a year globally and kills about 300,000, mostly children in developing countries. There are regular outbreaks in developed countries, including one in California that has affected more than 6,400 people and killed at least 10 infants, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

To study the effects of social interactions on spreading whooping cough, the research team used a situation in Sweden.
    That country halted its whooping cough vaccination program in 1979 because of vaccine safety concerns, and did not resume routine vaccination for 17 years. But health authorities continued to track cases of whooping cough by age group. "We took advantage of an unplanned natural experiment," Rohani said in a telephone interview.
    The team compared this to a 2008 study of more than 7,000 people from eight European countries that tracked social contacts by age. They plugged this into a computer model to see how social contacts affected the spread of whooping cough. The team found that when Sweden resumed vaccinating young children, there was a big drop in the number of cases of whooping cough in all age categories except in teenagers.

With the patterns of social mixing, children mostly interact with other children, and are unlikely to be infected by adults, they found. "Infant immunization produces a protective effect for other children, who are likely to be mixing with other infants," the team wrote. Infected adults did not play a major role in spreading whooping cough to children.
    Rohani said other studies would be needed to explain how social networks affect regional disease outbreaks.
    But he said looking at social networks is another way to better understanding how infectious diseases are spread -- and may save health officials the time and expense of mass vaccination campaigns that may not work.
    (Editing by Vicki Allen)

http://tinyurl.com/394q7ws
    Last edited by Islander; 11-12-10 at 03:32 PM.

Default Re: Adults may not be spreading whooping cough: study

Adult outbreaks of pertussis have been occurring here in Oz for the past 12 months, three newspaper reported deaths in my State. All cases have been Baby Boomers of my vintage when childhood vaccination was mandatory. Last year, both my next door neighbours developed it.
    Sorry, can't reference the figures, didn't keep and can't find articles on Net.

In 1996 (I think) I had what was initially diagnosed as bronchitis, then pneumonia. I have never coughed like I was then. The cough was so bad, I actually broke a rib. I was working as a dialysis nurse at the time. They would not give me time off, so just wore a mask. Anyway, after the broken rib, 3 months of coughing and virtually every antibiotic I wasn't allergic to, a doc had a brainstorm and tested me for pertussis and lo and behold...guess what I had! At that point, it was too late to treat and had to run its course. I would not wish this on anyone. It was much worse than pneumonia. However, had it been diagnosed and treated early, it would have been a fairly mild illness.

Aotearoa - Land of erm... sheep and clouds and grumpy volcanoes

I'm pretty sure I had it a few years back in the UK. It was absolutely awful - started out as just a cough I picked up from my friends who'd returned from a music festival, but within a couple of days I was absolutely debilitated and bed-ridden. Couldn't move more than about 50m without gasping for air, was choking in my sleep, constant coughing that just would not stop, and the cough was so bad I was covered in bruises around my diaphragm and back, it was absolutely exhausting and there was just no relief. I was passing out rather than sleeping because sleep was impossible. Two lots of antibiotics did nothing - they told me it was bronchitis, then 'adult-onset asthma' (gave me an inhaler which did help a couple of times when I foolishly attempted to leave the house and collapsed on the footpath), then laryngitis, then the flu... then all of them at once. I was bed-ridden for weeks, didn't even have the energy to really go downstairs and watch TV. It was absolutely the most horrific, exhausting, painful thing. Of course, I was unfortunately vaccinated so they never tested me for pertussis but it certainly fit the bill far better than anything else, in hindsight. That or pertuss + flu.

Oh, and in the end I looked up what natural therapists were in the neighbourhood, found a homoeopath around the corner, was sceptical (even though I'd been to them since childhood) but staggered around nevertheless and collapsed on the poor woman's doorstep. Left 90mins later with 6 little pillules and a very sceptical mindset, took them anyway because nothing else was working so why not.... and within 4 days or so I was back at work and perfectly fine. I could literally feel them working, it was absolutely amazing. Homoeopathy ftw - I don't care what the journals say about it.

And that's what convinced me I needed to study natural medicine - and here we are!!

I remember that-we were chatting on Mercola trying to help you figure out what was going on and what to.
    You took a crisis and turned it into a career helping people-I am so blessed to have been able to walk with you on this journey.
    Will you be done with ND school at the end of this semester?

Nope, got another year to go... I'm done with the extra papers to get the herbal medicine diploma this year, and next year I'm doing the extra ones I need to get a nutrition one, so this time next year I'll be almost finished and have a Diploma of Naturopathy, a Diploma of Herbal Medicine, and a Diploma of Nutrition... and then I'll do another six months/3(?) papers and it'll turn into a Bachelor of Naturopathy.

Booya!!

You Go, Girl!!

Wonderful Izzy! Keep up the good work!

Over half way there. It is all downhill now

Haha, except that I'm a sucker for punishment and looking at doing post-grad/masters...

EmmaPeel

Diz that is AWESOME! You can open a practice with your BA!

If you get your Masters you can teach at a higher salary, right?...BOOYAAA!!

Haha, there should be better moneys, yes... but I just want to know everything I can. Start writing books while practicing and helping all the autistic people out there who desperately need help as well... then when I have kiddliwinks I can work from home around them. Not so silly eh.

Thread Information