Thread: Homemade Mouthwash

Default Homemade Mouthwash

I love natural health and beauty products. I love them even more when they actually work. And I really love them when they're cheap. So homemade mouthwash is right up my alley. This natural mouthwash is easy to make, costs next to nothing and includes ingredients you can actually eat. My motto is: don't swish it if you can't swallow it.

I had my personal reasons for wanting to find an easy homemade mouthwash recipe. During RRARF, I made a commitment to avoid sweet things for a period of time. The thought of mouthwash being sweet didn't occur to me till a couple days into RRARF. I guess being off sweets for a few days heightened my sense of taste because suddenly mouthwash tasted sweet! And it occurred to me that if I'm trying to avoid sweets in order to test the PCAT theory, then why would I swish with something with such an overwhelmingly sweet flavor right after eating?

So I experimented with a few ideas and came up with this natural mouthwash recipe:

My Homemade Mouthwash Recipe

16 oz pure water (preferably filtered)
    3-5 drops of peppermint essential oil
    2 tsp baking soda

Mix all ingredients together in a glass bottle. The baking soda will dissolve after a little while. I still suggest shaking it up a bit before using it to make sure the essential oil is mixed in well. Swish for 30-60 seconds and then spit (although this mouthwash is obviously non-toxic, I don't suggest you swallow it!).

The real beauty of homemade mouthwash is that you can really cater to your own preferences. There are a lot of variations you can use with this natural mouthwash:

You can mix and match essential oils to find the right flavor for you. Spearmint, citrus or cinnamon are some other ideas.
    You can also add a teaspoon or two of vodka if you prefer mouthwash with a little bite.
    If you'd prefer your mouthwash sweet, you can add a little stevia or xylitol.
    You can experiment with the amount of essential oil and baking soda to see what works for you.

http://networkedblogs.com/aCnep

Default Re: Homemade Mouthwash

Anyone heard of oil pulling? You take a T or so of coconut oil in your mouth and swish it around for 5-10 minutes (not sure of the time). Then you spit it out. supposedly it draws out bacteria very effectively. I have no source, just anecdotal claims of how well it works.

Sesame oil can be used for oil pulling, as well, so I have heard.

Coconut oil does work indeed. Because of my "Coke habit" I get my teeth cleaned professionally every 4 months. I just had my cleaning today, and the hygenist made a LOT of notes on how my gums are so much healthier. She said, "I see that you have finally listened to me, and are not drinking so many Cokes." She was dumbfounded when I told her that I eat about 250 calories worth of coconut butter per day, and I woosh it around my teeth; this is absolutely proof positive that coconut is working on my teeth.

I still drink Coke.

EmmaPeel

Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    Anyone heard of oil pulling? You take a T or so of coconut oil in your mouth and swish it around for 5-10 minutes (not sure of the time). Then you spit it out. supposedly it draws out bacteria very effectively. I have no source, just anecdotal claims of how well it works.
    I used EV. olive oil just a few days ago when I felt some discomfort in my lower front gums.

Not only did it whiten my teeth,surprisingly, but after a few days of 'pulling' twice a day, the discomfort was gone and the gums are no longer reddened.

Both times I put in a few drops of oregano oil.

Oil pulling: Use about 1 tablespoon of either olive, sesame or coconut oil. The Ayurvedic practitioners use Ghee (clarified butter).

I only swished this oil for about 10 minutes, but I have heard of some going as long as 30.:p:p

Sorry Samarai, never liked Cola's or any pop for that matter. Must be an acquired taste! Ick....

When I was on all those nutrition groups a lot of people were using it with great success. I did try it but I just couldn't handle the "feel" of that much oil in my mouth.

Thread Information