Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer shortcuts

Default Computer shortcuts

Hi there! Islander, your 69-year-old Admin, here.

Why disclose my age? Because I’m an old fossil, but I was fortunate to be exposed to computers back in the early ‘80s. That’s why I’m so comfortable with them today.

But someone reminded me that “you don’t know what you don’t know.” Most of us find the computer’s instruction manual practically useless and just wish there was someone to show us the basics. Others assume everyone knows these shortcuts, and is surprised that what they thought was common knowledge isn’t universal. Since someone brought it up, I thought this would be a good time to share some tips and reminders. If you’re one of those folks who already has it down, you can ignore this now.

Still here? OK, here we go....
    First, you don’t need a Bookmark or Favorite to access this site. If you haven't already placed it in your browser's toolbar, just start typing hawkeshealth into the address bar or URL (that long narrow white box at the top of any page). Before you get very far, the entire address will magically appear just below the bar. Click on it and the window will open to the home page immediately. (Or the address might automatically complete itself, in which case, just hit Enter). Some things work slightly differently depending on the browser, or whether you’re using a Mac or a PC.

Which reminds me: when doing any search — Google, dictionary, amazon or any search box on any site — you don’t have to use your mouse to click on the Go button. Just hit Enter (or Return) and off you go.

MORE TIPS YOU MIGHT FIND USEFUL

Double-click on any word to highlight it.

When filling out a form, hit TAB to move to the next line.

Use keystroke commands to speed your activity:
    hold down Control and press s to Save copy (Command + s on a Mac)
    Control + c to copy highlighted text
    Control + v to paste
    Control + x to delete (oh, and you can paste elsewhere what you just deleted)
    Control + f to find a word (in a file or on a web page. In a file, it will highlight the word, and clicking Next will continue to find other uses of the word. On a Web page, a little search box will open in the lower left corner where you type the desired word, and again, clicking Next will find further occasions of that word, if there are any).
    Control + a to select all (this highlights the entire page)
    Control + z to undo
    (and remember that there’s also an Undo option under the drop-down EDIT menu)

You can enlarge the text on any Web page. In Windows, press Ctrl and the + or - keys (for bigger or smaller fonts); on the Mac, it’s the Command key and + or minus. If your mouse has a scroll wheel, hold down Control and run the wheel up or down.

• Tap the space bar to scroll down on a Web page one screenful. Tap and add the Shift key to scroll back up.

Just putting something into the Trash or the Recycle Bin doesn’t actually delete it. You then have to empty the Trash or Recycle Bin.

You didn’t break it! It’s hard to do something permanently wrong on your computer. Undo, cut, copy and paste often work, even when you think they might not. You can recover files, deleted text, closed tabs, who knows what. For Windows, they are Ctrl-z, Ctrl-x, Ctrl-c, Ctrl-v — all in a row. On a Mac, it’s Command, instead of Control.

Ctrl + Left or Right arrow key while editing text jumps to the beginning of the previous (left key) word or to the beginning of the next (right key) word. Reduces the number of Left/Right button presses drastically. (On a Mac, it’s the Option key).

This is cool: You can text questions to Google. Enter a search term like “Pizza 04101″ (the zip code) to Google and Google will text back pizza restaurants in that area. This also works for sports scores, flight times, and businesses like taxi cabs. I’ll never pay for 411 again.

I love this gimmick: I google washingtonpost.com from the New York Times search box. If an ad comes up, I click it and make the Post give the Times a nickel. (You do know that when you click one of those Google ads, the site earns a few cents?)

• My final recommendation: If IE (Internet Explorer) is your browser, use it to download and install Firefox and make it your default browser. It’s what most professionals prefer. It has better tabbed browsing and many many features you’ll love!

Remember to back up your work! Accidents do happen: unexpected power outages...sudden crashes (PCs only)...virus invasions (PCs only)...etc. Use a CD, a thumb drive, or any external hard drive of your choice, but save your valuable work to a backup. Daily.

AFTERTHOUGHT: I use two browsers, Firefox and Safari. Firefox is my default, but I run anything dodgy on a separate, anonymous e-mail account on Safari. My Facebook page is linked to Safari too. At any given moment in the day I have multiple windows and tabs open. If I find an article on FB, for instance, that I want to read but don't have time now, I open it in a new window and minimize it till I can get back to it.

I’m always happy to answer questions. No question is “stupid” if you don’t know the answer. I'm no expert, but I've been fooling around in this playground for a long time. Hope this was helpful!
    Last edited by Islander; 09-24-17 at 09:36 AM.

EmmaPeel

Default Re: Computer shortcuts

Oh Islander! That is great! Thanks for this! I had posted the 'How to Enlarge your font' on the other thread, but this is better.

I am a self-taught computer person. No aficionado, by any means, just simple, non complicated stuff by most standards. Learning everyday, even though I started in 1992 with ...
    STEP #1 - How to turn on the computer....

I just started in 2006-self taught. Islander got on the phone with me to teach me how to cut and paste!
    Then I got banned from Mercola for computer hacking LOL! Idiots.....

This is great advice-thank you Islander!

Best piece of advice I got:

When in doubt, Google !

One useful tip I didn't notice in your post Islander (feel free to delete this comment if I missed it) is for highlighting text.

Place curser at beginning of text to be highlighted and click. Then place curser at end of text to be highlighted, hold down the shift key and click. All text between will be highlighted.

Thank you for posting these hints Islander. Thanks to a computer savvy husband, I knew quite a few of them but there were some that were new to me.

EmmaPeel

Aaltrude! I love that! My wonky mouse has been giving me hell for weeks...that makes it so much easier! (At least until I get a new mouse!)

I love the System Restore feature in the 'My Computer' part of my system.

If ever I download something dodgy and it puts gremlins into my computer, I do a complete virus/malwear scan and a system restore to a date in the past (like a few days before). Then run another scan.

Everything is usually tickity boo afterwards...
    Last edited by EmmaPeel; 11-23-10 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaltrude
    One useful tip I didn't notice in your post Islander (feel free to delete this comment if I missed it) is for highlighting text.

Place curser at beginning of text to be highlighted and click. Then place curser at end of text to be highlighted, hold down the shift key and click. All text between will be highlighted.

Thank you for posting these hints Islander. Thanks to a computer savvy husband, I knew quite a few of them but there were some that were new to me.
    I LOVE THAT! HOW COOL IS THAT!

As with everything computer-related, there's a variety of ways to do this. In addition to the clicks, you can place the cursor at the beginning of the passage, hold down the mouse button, and just drag it across the desired text. Or you can double-click a word...then click again, you highlight the sentence...do it again, you highlight the paragraph...or if you want to copy an entire doc, you just do Ctrl-A, then Ctrl-C.

I find the method dragging the mouse OK for short bits of texts but the method using the shift key better for a large amount of text.

I've recently been trying a new browser put out by Firefox called SeaMonkey. It is pretty simple but seems to work pretty well without bugs If you are interested check it out here:
    http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

I also like Google Chrome. I guess I think ANYTHING is better than IE, lol. Over time I don't think there is any browser compatible with Windows that I haven't tried. I liked Opera too but it wasn't compatible with too many things I do.

I just got Google Chrome and really like it for Windows-much better than IE.
    I wish there was a LOL Cat/I Can Haz A Cheezeburger browser........
    Last edited by Reesacat; 11-23-10 at 06:54 PM.

I use the "In Private" browser function of IE a lot - like numerous times a day. Do any of these browsers have that function?

Aotearoa - Land of erm... sheep and clouds and grumpy volcanoes

Don't forget alt+F4 for killing things when ctrl-alt-del doesn't work! If you hit it enough times it can shut the computer down though, which may or may not be a good thing.

Also, when selecting multiple files to send to somebody or upload or whatever, rather than having to add one, then go back through all the folders etc... just hold down ctrl, click on everything you want, and then hit 'upload' or 'delete' or whatever it is you're doing. Cuts down on time significantly.

There are also lots of other editing type ones, at least on Windows.

ctrl-E will centre things
    ctrl-B will bold things
    ctrl-I will italicise things
    ctrl-U will underline things
    shift-ctrl-> will jump the font size up to the next one
    shift-ctrl-< will jump the font size down to the next one
    ctrl-Y will repeat the last thing you did (useful for when you're doing repeat actions or words)
    etc

(Not always the case on web browsers, but for documents they all work).

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong
    I also like Google Chrome. I guess I think ANYTHING is better than IE, lol. Over time I don't think there is any browser compatible with Windows that I haven't tried. I liked Opera too but it wasn't compatible with too many things I do.
    You're spot on about IE!
    I think Opera was designed with the Mac in mind.
    I never tried Chrome...I remember reading something about it that put me off. Of course, now I can't remember what that something was....

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyIzzy
    Don't forget alt+F4 for killing things when ctrl-alt-del doesn't work! If you hit it enough times it can shut the computer down though, which may or may not be a good thing.

Also, when selecting multiple files to send to somebody or upload or whatever, rather than having to add one, then go back through all the folders etc... just hold down ctrl, click on everything you want, and then hit 'upload' or 'delete' or whatever it is you're doing. Cuts down on time significantly.

There are also lots of other editing type ones, at least on Windows.

ctrl-E will centre things
    ctrl-B will bold things
    ctrl-I will italicise things
    ctrl-U will underline things
    shift-ctrl-> will jump the font size up to the next one
    shift-ctrl-< will jump the font size down to the next one
    ctrl-Y will repeat the last thing you did (useful for when you're doing repeat actions or words)
    etc

(Not always the case on web browsers, but for documents they all work).
    Haven't had to use ctrl-alt-del through the last few iterations of the Mac. Those are good suggestions, Diz, thanks — and yes, they work universally, not just on Windows. See, you're never too old to learn something new!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaltrude
    I use the "In Private" browser function of IE a lot - like numerous times a day. Do any of these browsers have that function?
    Aaltrude, not sure what you mean. My e-mail client does, but the browser? Pls explain....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information