Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Cause Baby It's Cold Outside...' Books

EmmaPeel@Work

Default 'Cause Baby It's Cold Outside...' Books

Okay.....I'm settling into this frigid arctic winter and need some suggestions.

I am looking for something new to curl up with this winter, as I am finishing my current reading...

Anyone make any suggestions regarding any more of McCall-Smith's books in addition to the next one coming out in March?? Anything else??

Default Re: 'Cause Baby It's Cold Outside...' Books

I just finished reading the first of the Lisbeth Salander books, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and now have started The Girl Who Played With Fire. In addition there are the Martin Beck series of Swedish detective books, which evidently have been republished. Good thing, as I had about every second one in the series, the originals from the 1960s, but now I have filled in the others from the new reprinted ones, and am back at it again. Really I will have to retire some day, to do all of this reading...

Emma, my librarian recommended a different McCall series to me. I forget, I'll have to get back to you.

I had seen the movie The Godfather, but never read the book. Picked it up on impulse just to have a work of fiction on hand. I don't know what your tastes are but I find this compelling reading. If you, too, have seen the movie, this sort of fare may not be your cuppa tea.

What do you like? Mystery? Romance? Humor?
    I enjoy the Aunt Dimity mysteries by Nancy Atherton, hilarious mystery series by Donna Andrews featuring a lady blacksmith Meg Landsdowne, and Nora Roberts Irish trilogies (series Jewels of the Sun, and the Born series).
    Last edited by Reesacat; 12-12-10 at 11:49 PM.

Betsy

Maurya, thank you for the Martin Beck recommendation. I also liked the Lisbeth Salander series (The Millenium Series, I recently found out) and look forward to trying another Swedish series.

May I recommend a website to those who like book series? It's called FictFact. You sign up, follow one or more series, and it will give you a list of all the books in order. You mark the ones you've read, and your home page will show the next one to read. It also tells you if there's anything about to be published in the series. The site doesn't bury you in email, either. I think I get one email a month, reminding me to enter the monthly drawing for an Amazon gift certificate.

I have no connection to the site other than being a happy user.

Quote Originally Posted by Betsy
    Maurya, thank you for the Martin Beck recommendation. I also liked the Lisbeth Salander series (The Millenium Series, I recently found out) and look forward to trying another Swedish series.

May I recommend a website to those who like book series? It's called FictFact. You sign up, follow one or more series, and it will give you a list of all the books in order. You mark the ones you've read, and your home page will show the next one to read. It also tells you if there's anything about to be published in the series. The site doesn't bury you in email, either. I think I get one email a month, reminding me to enter the monthly drawing for an Amazon gift certificate.

I have no connection to the site other than being a happy user.
    Thank you so much for the site, Betsy
    Welcome to the forum-we have a new member section where you are welcome to tell us a bit about yourself and what health interests you have.

Betsy

I'll hop on over there and introduce myself properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Betsy

May I recommend a website to those who like book series? It's called FictFact.
    Thanks! You just made my day!

EmmaPeel@Work

Wowzer! Thanks gals! Okay, yes I do like well written mysteries, non-fiction and fiction, but I always like them humorous or quirky....yes, yes, just like ME! HA!

Thank you and welcome to Betsy and Woozie!! Looking forward to many happy interactions here!

...just ordered the Isabel Dalhousie series(first 3 books) from Alex McCall Smith, Jon Stewart's "Earth"... AND...wait for it....

THE 3 SET DVD OF NO. 1 LADIES DETECTIVE AGENCY! Should be here before Christmas! YIPEE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaPeel@Work
    I do like well written mysteries, non-fiction and fiction, but I always like them humorous or quirky....yes, yes, just like ME! HA!

Ok, both these guys are recently deceased, but they are at the top of their class for both of the above:

Donald Westlake: any/all of the Dortmunder novels. Dortmunder is a sad sack type of criminal who plots elaborate schemes with his small band of regulars, only to see something go spectacularly wrong at the end. Quality is erratic; most are top-notch and some are ROL (roar-out-loud).

Robert B. Parker: the Spenser novels are the best, though the Jesse Stone series is well done too. Not quite as lighthearted as Westlake, and good solid mysteries. Tragic that he has written his last novel.

• Still living and hopefully, producing great mystery suspense thriller crime fiction: John Sandford. It's important to read these in order as the protagonist's life and adventures progress on a timeline.

• Absolute Number One best mystery suspense thriller crime writer: Lee Child. He must have 8-10 out at this point. Not necessary to read in order, though you might be pleased to see his inimitable skill progress from earliest to latest. Not much in the way of funny lines; definitely quirky plots, real page-turners, and hugely satisfying in the way he smacks bad guys around. He's my hero. That is, both the protagonist (Jack Reacher) and Child.

Happy reading...that should hold you for a while!

Sigh... I guess I will have to start building a whole new bookcase, devoted to just the mysteries. A long series, from the early 1960s would be the Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte mysteries, mostly set in Australia, by the author Arthur W. Upfield. Don't know if these are still in print or not; my copies are very old. [No wise cracks about the owner of the books, from the peanut gallery]
    Last edited by Maurya; 12-13-10 at 09:28 PM.

Those sound interesting-I'm going to check the local library to see if they are in circulation.

EmmaPeel@Work

Oh Pegg...Maurya...Reesacat...Betsy....what have you done to me????

Now I must get them all...must get...them ...all....

Back away from the keyboard, Emma. You can only read one at a time anyway. Good heavens, you must have a library in Winnipeg, probably underground....

EmmaPeel@Work

Libraries frustrate me because I am like a kid in a candy store who can never decide what she wants and spends hours and hours loading up her arms....

(Good thing it's a quiet night over here...really quiet...okay, back to my charting...breaks over...Hahahhahaa....)

BTW...I never read one book at a time. Always have two or three on the go...like to read from all different area's!

Currently reading Talbot's Mystery and Physics; Forster's Passage to India and The Death and Life of Nichola Goddard by Fortney

Almost done...
    Last edited by Islander; 12-14-10 at 12:10 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information