Thread: The Top 10 Natural Heartburn Relievers You’ve Probably Never Heard Of

Default The Top 10 Natural Heartburn Relievers You’ve Probably Never Heard Of

Friday, December 17, 2010

Dear Reader,
    Every year at the start of the holiday season I promise myself that this will be the year I don’t overeat. I’ll say “No thanks” to the cookies. I’ll pass the turkey without taking a second helping, and I’ll walk right by the latest gift basket to arrive in the office without even a second glance.

And every year, I, of course, fail.

It seems as if overeating...along with picking the wrong foods to eat...is as much a part of the holidays as are Christmas trees and presents. And so, unfortunately, is the heartburn to go with it. That’s why I’m sharing this handy list of the top 10 all-natural heartburn relievers you’ve probably never even heard of:

(1) Raw-potato juice: Rinse off a potato and toss it, with the peel still on, into a juicer. Drink the juice immediately.

(2) Fresh papaya: At the first sign of heartburn, try eating some fresh papaya WITH the seeds. There are enzymes in the tropical fruit that help break down food. You can also keep a bottle of papaya tablets around to accomplish the same thing.

(3) Fresh pineapple: Like papaya, pineapple is packed with an enzyme that aids digestion by helping to break down food.

(4) Vinegar: If you know you’re going to overindulge, or that a particular food is likely to cause heartburn, fix yourself a vinegar tonic by mixing a tablespoon of apple-cider vinegar into a glass of water to sip during your meal.

(5) Fennel seed: Grab the fennel seeds off of your spice rack and mix 2 tbsp. into about a cup of boiling water. Let the mixture steep for several minutes to make a tea to sip on.

(6) Rhubarb: Slice off a piece of rhubarb stalk and chew on it for a few minutes. It will be sour, but many swear by its ability to sooth the burn.

(7) Anise seed: Visit your spice rack again and grab a few anise seeds to chew on.

(8) Fresh parsley: Don’t toss out that parsley garnish at the end of the meal. Nibble on the fresh sprig to relieve indigestion.

(9) Aloe-vera Juice: You can buy Aloe-vera juice online or at your local natural-food store. (If you’re diabetic, however, be careful with Aloe-vera juice as it may lower your blood-sugar levels.)

(10) Peppermint: You can grow your own peppermint or pick it up at the grocery store. Chew on the fresh leaves at the first hint of heartburn. Natural peppermint tea works too.

If you’re feeling the burning pain of a little holiday overindulging, why not give one of these natural solutions a try? You can avoid those stomach-acid-robbing drugs and still get a good night’s sleep.

Beating back the burn naturally,

Alice Wessendorf

Default Re: The Top 10 Natural Heartburn Relievers You’ve Probably Never Heard Of

I would like to take exception to peppermint: While it is apparently effective in many people, there are equal numbers of people whose heartburn gets worse with the use of peppermint oil. Peppermint oil is known to relax the Lower Esophageal Sphincter. A weak LES allows stomach contents and acid to back up into the esophagus and this is what causes "heartburn". Since peppermint can cause the LES to relax, it would allow even more reflux. Chocolate also relaxes the LES.

Default Re: The Top 10 Natural Heartburn Relievers You’ve Probably Never Heard Of

I do better with the peppermint tea-oil is too strong.

And sometimes a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in water really helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat
    I do better with the peppermint tea-oil is too strong.

And sometimes a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in water really helps!
    I didn't mean peppermint oil as in essential oils...I just meant that the oil is what gives peppermint its flavor and properties. That oil will be found in all things peppermint.
    Last edited by mellowsong; 12-17-10 at 11:37 PM.

Mellowsong, do you mean, peppermint tea? Or an artificial flavor?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander
    Mellowsong, do you mean, peppermint tea? Or an artificial flavor?
    The oil is what imparts peppermint's flavor and properties. I'm referring to real peppermint. I was just warning people that it may actually make heartburn worse, not help. I edited my other post to explain better...

Thread Information