Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Causes of skin aging

Default Re: Causes of skin aging

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    My face has fine wrinkles on the left...
    So does mine; there's a substantial difference in the age of my face depending on which side you look at. Like you, I first thought of the car, but that wasn't the reason for me either. For 12 years I stood or sat at the same spot in the greenhouse daily, from January 12 until the first of May, seeding and transplanting. The retail building was attached to the right, so the sun hit the left side of my face all afternoon. I never noticed it until one of my kids pointed it out to me, after I had closed the business. Using sunscreen had never occurred to me, and perhaps that's just as well.

ntrll9875

Ageing is caused by the passing of time, not by any particular part of the body.

Even the humanitarian efforts of that well-known not-for-profit agency, Nivea, have been able to find any alternative explanation. Nevertheless, I am sure that Nivea scientists remain optimistic that each time you buy a £14.99 tub of anti-ageing cream, it increases their chances of stopping time altogether and banishing the scourge of ageing from the earth.

I've seen pictures of Tibetan monks who have very young skin even in their 90s while some Native Americans have deep facial wrinkles when middle aged. Excessive sun exposure ages skin fast as does smoking. Skin loves fresh-made veggie/fruit juice.

I agree with all causes of skin aging , i added some more to it :

Tanning is a sign of skin damage, evidence that the sun's ultraviolet rays have penetrated and damaged the skin's support structure. Most wrinkles are caused by sun exposure throughout life -- and it's never too late to halt the process.

The more years and packs smoked, the more likely wrinkles will occur. Wrinkles are also more likely to be deeper in smokers. Tobacco smoke gives skin an unhealthy color and coarse texture, as well.

The way you sleep may actually cause wrinkles. No matter how soft your pillow, it puts pressure on your face each night. Over years, this can etch lines into your chin, cheeks, or forehead. Your personal pattern of sleep lines depends on how you tend to rest your face on the pillow.

Even the humanitarian efforts of that well-known not-for-profit agency, Nivea, have been able to find any alternative explanation. Nevertheless, I am sure that Nivea scientists remain optimistic that each time you buy a £14.99 tub of anti-ageing cream, it increases their chances of stopping time altogether and banishing the scourge of ageing from the earth.
    ntrll9875, I love your tongue-in-cheek sarcasm!

Somewhere recently (could have been here) I read that a teaspoon or so of Aloe vera daily would literally reduce existing wrinkles. Takes about 90 days for results to show. Evidently it's not very tasty? I have big aloe plants and could easily supply the necessary amount, but I haven't started simply because I question my ability to stay with a regimen for 90 days. Be nice if it worked!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

How about using the aloe vera gel topically, as we do for treating sunburn? If the gel were to be applied to certain wrinkled areas that are a bother or are particularly visible, the value of aloe could be delivered right where it is needed.

Maurya, I wondered about that. Maybe external application was impractical for large experimental and control groups? I'd actually be more inclined to try it if it just mean running a cut leaf over my face!

Why don't you try the "one side of face treated with aloe, the other side not treated at all" type of experiment? The worst that could happen would be reduction of part of the wrinkles.

Think I'll do that to the left side, the side exposed to UVA all those years!

I'm experimenting with drinking a shot of aloe a day to help heal the intestinal damage of celiac. If I see any facial changes I'll report in.
    I add about a table spoon of Pom juice (other than that I don't drink the stuff) to help the aloe go down.

Juicing raw vegetables and drinking bone broth (love the collagen and hyaluronic acid from it) have really improved my skin.

I put aloe on my face every night and, when I remember, take a teaspon of aloe vera gel. Tastes like $#*! but so does cod liver oil and thousand other things "suposa" be good for you.

Thanks for sharing the causes of skin aging.

Veteran Member

Interesting, the concoctions people put on their skin. I think about everything was mentioned here but heredity. I was fortunate enough to inherit wrinkle-free skin from my mother, despite the fact that I smoked until I was in my 30's. I think it's related to the amount of natural oils/fluids one has circulating within the layers of the skin.

The downside of this blessing is that I have to wash my (luckily) thick but baby-fine hair almost every day or it looks like I combed it with motor oil. I've also had bouts of "teenage" acne most of my life. I doubt that I'll ever have wrinkles or crow's feet, but my skin is usually anything but nice and smooth. It isn't all that noticeable so I quit worrying about it years ago.

I do think nutrition plays an important part in skin appearance, and so does drinking a lot of water. I see ads all the time for expensive creams that promise to "nourish" the skin, but I don't think it's possible to nourish skin topically, other than to plump it up temporarily. As with the rest of the body, health comes from the inside.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

LMW - i, too, inherited lovely skin from my mother.

You mentioned washing your hair every day. Just curious, have you considered the "no 'poo" method of using baking soda? (There are many posts in a web search. Here is one: The Urban Homestead)

I didn't find it worked for me, i tried a couple of times with varying amounts of baking soda. But i do know people for whom it has been really good. It takes a while for your body to ramp down the oil production, so you go thru an uncomfortable phase.

I've been allergic to many of the shampoos on the market, so i was hoping it would work for me. But i've been able to find a couple i can tolerate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information