Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Causes of skin aging

Default Causes of skin aging

http://www.lef.org/newsletter

Although there are many diseases that can affect the skin, the most common problems that we all have are the effects of our exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun over time. Having a tan has, in the past, been a sign of good health. In the last 10 years, with the changes in the ozone layer in the upper atmosphere, it is clear that the effects of UV radiation from the sun are much more dangerous than originally thought. There are many causes for the accumulated cellular damage in the skin that we call aging. Among these are the oxidative processes and related free radical damage that result from UV sunlight, smog, toxins, cigarette smoke, X-rays, drugs, and other stressors. Young skin is also exposed to these potentially damaging changes, but when we are young, there is sufficient cellular energy (ATP) for DNA repair and cell renewal. Enzymes that provide antioxidant activity such as SOD and catalase are readily available. As we age, there is increased wear and tear, while at the same time the energy for cell repair and renewal is diminished and the antioxidant enzymes are less available.
    Skin cancer typically occurs in skin that is photo-aged. Wrinkles, laxity, uneven pigmentation, brown spots, and a leathery appearance characterize photo-aged skin. In contrast, chronologically aged skin that has been protected from the sun is thin and has reduced elasticity, but is otherwise smooth and unblemished.
    The following factors can accelerate skin aging:

• sun exposure
    • first- or secondhand cigarette smoke
    • environmental toxins
    • poor diet
    • excess alcohol consumption
    • stress
    • harsh soaps or detergent-based moisturizers
    • sleep deprivation

One way of mitigating the effects of these skin-damaging foes is to increase levels of protective antioxidants through a diet rich in fruits and vegetables or by direct topical application.

http://tinyurl.com/4m6pcah

Default Re: Causes of skin aging

"One way of mitigating the effects of these skin-damaging foes is to increase levels of protective antioxidants through a diet rich in fruits and vegetables or by direct topical application."

Does anyone have suggestions on the best direct topical application for antioxidants? I have a lot of photo aging on the left side of my face from all the driving I do.
    Last edited by highlander; 01-17-11 at 06:46 PM.

You can put Vitamin C directly on your face-just dissolve a tablet or powder in water.
    Anything you eat you can put on your face-I will take a used teabag and wipe my face with it.

I use coconut oil and flax seed oil on my face. I use them separately - they are not mixed together. Usually I will use coconut oil one day and flax seed oil the next.

I have also used Vitamin D drops on a couple of my moles and it seems like they are better.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Does anyone have suggestions on the best direct topical application for antioxidants? I have a lot of photo aging on the left side of my face from all the driving I do.
    That struck a chord, because I have the same thing, but for a different reason. Every morning, from January 12 until the first of May, I sat in the #1 greenhouse, the one adjacent to the retail store, seeding or transplanting. All day. The sun came up on my right, over the store, and did not hit my face until afternoon. Every afternoon for 12 years. I never noticed it until someone called attention to it. So when you take pictures of me, please get my good side. I look 10 years younger on the right! (And Highlander, I don't think there's anything we can do about it).

Looking at your FB profile photos 1 and 2 you can see it if you are looking for it Islander but from those two photos, it doesn't appear to be too obvious.

FB has effed up my profile so bad, I have no idea what's there any more!

Vitamin E oil also is great for the skin

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong View Post
    Vitamin E oil also is great for the skin
    Vitamin E oil has helped a lot with the dry lips I was getting after I started using it on your suggestion mellow.

Causes explored from a slightly different perspective, well documented: http://www.jacn.org/cgi/reprint/20/1/71.pdf

That is a very interesting paper Islander. I have often been amazed at how well my skin has weathered the polluted building I was working in but the findings in this paper suggest my diet has played a large part.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaltrude View Post
    Vitamin E oil has helped a lot with the dry lips I was getting after I started using it on your suggestion mellow.
    So glad it helps and you tolerate it!

I could kick my younger self now for those years I smoked. 20 years from now I may want to kick my now-current-self for my occasional booze consumption and messed up sleep patterns. (Of course I can't do anything about the sleep right now).

Having read all about astaxanthin on JM's site, it seemed to be a useful supplement to take. I recently decided to add some to my moisturiser, as I'd read somewhere about topical application. I squeezed one capsule into a small jar of lotion - it turned bright orange! It's orange on the skin, but this disappears after about an hour. I guess I won't know for a while if it is helping.

My face has fine wrinkles on the left, which makes no sense, as the driver's seat is on the right in my part of the world. Finally figured out - I sleep on my left side. My hair is much drier on the left also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information