Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best Fish Oil

Default The Best Fish Oil

29 Jan 2011
    Dr. William Davis

The best fish oils available are the liquid forms. Contrary to many people's expectations, the best liquid fish oils have no fishy odor or taste.

I use a lot of liquid fish oils because of the higher doses we use in the Track Your Plaque program, as well as our strategy of high-dose fish oil to reduce lipoprotein(a). Women, in particular, don't like taking the oodles of capsules required to achieve the higher doses we need. So the ladies really like the liquid forms.

The best liquid fish oils are non-fishy, highly-concentrated, and come in the better absorbed triglyceride form. Many capsules, including prescription Lovaza, are the less well-absorbed ethyl ester form. Several studies, such as this one, have now demonstrated that the naturally-occurring triglyceride form yields higher blood (RBC) levels of omega-3 fatty acids, likely due to more efficient digestion via pancreatic lipase.

While there are many good forms of fish oil and only a few bad, these are the best of the best:

Pharmax
    The Pharmax Finest Pure Fish Oil with Essential Oil of Orange contains 1800 mg EPA + DHA per teaspoon. This is the preparation I've been taking.

Nordic Naturals
    The Nordic Naturals lemon-flavored ProOmega Liquid contains 2752 mg EPA + DHA per teaspoon, the most concentrated of any fish oil I've seen.

(This list is not exclusive. These are just two brands I've used extensively with good results.)

These highly-concentrated, triglyceride forms are more expensive, due to their concentrated nature. 1 teaspoon Pharmax fish oil, for example, provides an equivalent quantity of omega-3 fatty acids as 6 standard fish oil capsules on a milligram for milligram basis, but more like 8 to 9 capsules when absorption efficiency is factored in. The triglyceride form is also more laborious to manufacture. On our Track Your Plaque Marketplace, our Pharmax 500 ml runs $58.95 list. (500 ml provides 100 teaspoons or 600-capsule equivalent.)

Note that, minus the protection of the capsule, liquid fish oils will oxidize if not refrigerated. So be sure to keep your liquid fish oil in the fridge.

http://tinyurl.com/6a7djm3
    Last edited by Islander; 01-30-11 at 02:37 PM.

Default Re: The Best Fish Oil

I have trouble getting the liquid fish oil down-it just sort of gags me. So I am glad for the capsules!

samson's delilah

i also had a hard time taking the liquid fish oil because of the taste. i'm now taking it with Maxalife in soft gel capsules.

Welcome to the forum, samson's delilah. We have a New Member's Section — feel free to go over and introduce yourself.

Veteran Member

Hard to believe women prefer liquid fish oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    The best liquid fish oils are non-fishy, highly-concentrated, and come in the better absorbed triglyceride form. Many capsules, including prescription Lovaza, are the less well-absorbed ethyl ester form.
    Once again, I must be weird. I am a woman, and I do enjoy the taste of a good quality liquid fish oil, and of course I do keep it in the fridge. The capsules are my choice when I am forced to travel.

The line about Lovaza caught my eye, as I always wonder how the pharmaceutical companies continue to get away with charging unbelievably high prices for substandard versions of common nutrients. Think about prescription vitamin D2, which is worthless, as well. Should be telling us something, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    Once again, I must be weird. I am a woman, and I do enjoy the taste of a good quality liquid fish oil, and of course I do keep it in the fridge.
    So do I. By any chance, were you given it as a child? I remember cod liver oil, and I didn't mind the taste even as a kid. Many of our taste preferences are formed in childhood. I grew up on lamb and love it, which was the initial reason why we got into raising sheep. Yet it seems that most Americans don't care for lamb, possibly because they were never introduced to it as children.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    So do I. By any chance, were you given it as a child?
    I did not have fish oil, per se; but as a child I had been reared by Swedish foster parents, who favored a steady diet of various types of fish, including sardines, herring, etc. on a frequent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    Once again, I must be weird. I am a woman, and I do enjoy the taste of a good quality liquid fish oil, and of course I do keep it in the fridge. The line about Lovaza caught my eye, as I always wonder how the pharmaceutical companies continue to get away with charging unbelievably high prices for substandard versions of common nutrients. Think about prescription vitamin D2, which is worthless, as well. Should be telling us something, eh?
    I can't stand the feel of oil in my mouth. It has nothing to do with taste. I have tried oil pulling and can't handle that but a few seconds at a time. Very little makes me gag but plain oil in my mouth does. I bought one bottle of fish oil and ended up putting it in my smoothies. I'll stick to caps. I don't care how many I have to take!

I grew up on lamb and love it, which was the initial reason why we got into raising sheep. Yet it seems that most Americans don't care for lamb, possibly because they were never introduced to it as children.
    I don't think I'd ever had lamb til I noticed it in the Greenwise section of Publix a few years ago. It comes from NZ. Yes, it is pretty expensive but some cuts aren't. Anyway, I decided to try it and I do like it very much.

Ahem.

NOT ALL LAMB COMES FROM NEW ZEALAND!

Ahem. NOT ALL LAMB COMES FROM NEW ZEALAND!
    I know that!!! I was simply saying that was where it came from. I'm not positive but I think, even in the US, sheep are raised on grass and not given all the crap? Anyway at least with it from NZ, I felt like it was safe for me

Fish oils from different kinds of fish yield different ratios of EPA/DHA. I would love to see a well thought out study on the varying effectiveness of different EPA/DHA ratios for improving or alleviating many different conditions.

Most American lamb is finished on grain. I sold to the freezer market and learned how to live-grade lambs finished on grain to get them just right: enough fat for flavor, not so much that it would need to be trimmed away. Farming is both an art and a science! But back then, grain was not GM, nor did they get a lot, just a few weeks prior to slaughter.

It's true, you rarely see American lamb here. I know there are, or used to be, very large flocks out West, but in the East I believe most lamb is raised for the Easter market or for private sale, as I did.

Oh, and Mellowsong, I was teasing! All I ever see in the market is NZ lamb.
    Last edited by Islander; 07-29-11 at 09:13 PM.

As a skinny wartime child in UK I was given cod liver oil and malt. I think I quite liked it.

My son and DIL hosted an exchange teacher from USA last year. He was amazed that she had NEVER eaten lamb before! But she absolutely loved it. I think roast lamb must be my all time favourite meal. It used to be really cheap, but is now so expensive I can't afford it. No idea why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information