Thread: Surprising reasons you're tired

Default Surprising reasons you're tired

January 30, 2011
    No Authour

THE reason youÂ’re always tired might actually be something youÂ’d never suspect and could easily fix.

1. You’re under-stressed
    We all know that stress can lead to poor sleep and fatigue, but research shows that being too laid back can actually make you feel tired and lethargic. It seems that in short bursts, stress will not only stimulate you, but also help to boost your immune system.

2. You’re buzzed
    If you need to catch some zzz’s, turn off your phone. Recent findings at the Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, showed that using a mobile phone an hour before heading to bed may interfere with your sleep patterns leading to less time in the deeper stages of sleep. “All electrical gadgets should be kept out of the bedroom,” advises associate professor Delwyn Bartlett, from the Woolcock Institute’s Sleep and Circadian Group.

3. You’re dehydrated
    According to Chiropractors Association of Australia president, Dr Simon Floreani, you need to drink one medicine-sized glass of water (30ml) daily for every kilogram you weigh to stay properly hydrated.

4. You’re out of balance
    “When your body’s out of balance it puts stress on isolated areas,” says myotherapist and director of The Wellness Club, Allan Mourad. “This places pressure on organs, such as your liver and kidneys, which can be extremely draining.”

5. Your liver is lacklustre
    According to Medical Scientist and Naturopath Annalies Corse, an under-functioning liver could be responsible for unexplained exhaustion. “The liver is the main detoxifying organ in our body. If it’s overwhelmed or working incorrectly, your body will feel sluggish, achy and lethargic,” she says.

6. You need some C
    “Vitamin C is critical to your health when you’re experiencing fatigue as a result of prolonged stress, illness or surgery,” says Corse. “Generally, adrenal glands support us during times of stress, but these glands must receive vitamin C from our diet in order to keep fatigue and stress at bay.” Vitamin C is abundant in vegetables and fruits. The recommended daily intake for adults is 45mg for adults (60 mg during pregnancy, 85 mg while breastfeeding). Good sources include: Apples, asparagus, berries, broccoli, cabbage, honeydew, watermelon, cauliflower, citrus fruits (lemons, oranges), kiwi, fortified foods (breads, grains, cereal), dark leafy greens (kale, spinach), red capsicum, potatoes, and tomatoes. To get 45 mg you need to eat one banana 10.3mg, one apple 12mg and one tomato 25mg.

7. And an M
    “Low magnesium levels are one of the most overlooked sub-clinical nutrient deficiencies in the western world, and often result in symptoms similar to chronic fatigue syndrome,” explains Corse. “Magnesium is critical to energy production, but becomes easily depleted by excess alcohol and the oral contraceptive pill.” Adults need 310 to 420 mg/ day for example, 6 brazil nuts (107mg), 100gram tuna (64mg), one cup plain yoghurt (42mg), half cup broccoli (16mg), one cob of corn (31mg), and one cup of green beans (99mg).

8. Your alarm clock is wrong
    “Having the same waking time each day is more important than the time you go to bed, as it communicates the end of your sleep cycle to your brain and body,” says associate professor Bartlett. That’s why sleeping in for more than an hour on the weekend can make you feel jetlagged. The perfect waking time? According to research, 7.22am is ideal.

9. You've got an underactive thyroid
    Your thyroid sets your metabolic rate (how quickly or slowly you burn food). If you’ve been feeling tired, sensitive to cold, forgetful and have gained weight, ask your doctor for a thyroid test.

10. You’re exercising too little – or too much
    Certified personal trainer Pete Tansley, owner of Priority 1 Fitness, says that “exercise releases key endorphins – serotonin and adenosine – which help regulate your sleep rhythms.” Too little exercise and you miss out on these. But too much exercise, and particularly exercising at night, can lead to higher stress levels. “Exercise elevates the stress hormone cortisol, leaving you feeling wiped out,” explains Tansley. “Steer clear of alcohol after exercising, and keep to a relaxing routine – stretching; a warm bath with relaxing music – to help set your body up for sleep.”

PLUS TIRING CONDITIONS YOU MAY NOT KNOW YOU HAVE

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    “If you’ve been worn out for more than six months without good reason, then speak to your GP to rule out other causes,” says McCoy. Other symptoms include a constant sore throat, muscle or joint pain, headaches and tiredness after waking.

Coeliac disease
    Check though that your symptoms aren’t caused by a gluten intolerance, regularly misdiagnosed as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Anaemia
    “Anaemia occurs when the level of oxygen-carrying haemoglobin in red blood cells drops below normal,” says Dr Ronald McCoy, spokesperson for the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners. “The body is forced to work harder to get oxygen to vital organs.” To confirm the diagnosis, you’ll need a blood test from your GP.

Depression
    One of the main symptoms of depression – particularly post-natal depression – is tiredness. Speak to your GP or a counsellor for help.

You snore
    Sleep apnea – caused when you stop breathing, or do so shallowly – is a major factor in tiredness, no matter how many hours you managed to get last night. Solution?

You’ve got diabetes
    If you’ve been feeling dry mouthed, moody and exhausted, then ask your GP for a blood test to check for Type 2 diabetes. “Many people who have undiagnosed type 2 diabetes attribute their lethargy to lifestyle factors,” says Dr McCoy.

You’re still working
    In findings published in the British Medical Journal, retirement is linked with a substantial decrease in both mental and physical fatigue. What better reason to hang up your boots?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/s...-1225996485544

Default Re: Surprising reasons you're tired

#4. I have NO idea what he means here. Anyone? (I mean, I don't fall down. How do I know what's "out of balance"?)

#6. RDA for C is ludicrously low. I'm surprised at the continued ignorance around C, when it is every bit as critical as D in achieving optimal health. A recommended dose would be 2-4 grams/day. What nutrition experts suggest: take gradually increasing doses (spaced throoughout the day) until your stool becomes loose. This is an indication that you have reached your body's tolerance. Back down a notch or two; when your stool is again normal, you've found the right daily dose for you.

And I was just thinking this morning that most of the working world wakes up to an alarm every morning. That must give your adrenals a start...not to mention arousing you before you had finished sleeping. When I was a wolrking gal, my clock radio woke me gently to classical music, but I went to bed early enough that when the "alarm" went off, I had slept for the 8 hours I need, and sometimes woke up before the alarm. These days, no matter how late I may fall asleep, I can sleep and sleep until I'm all slept out, which is still about 8 hours. And I find if I have to get up early for some reason, my brain is foggy and I'm kinda useless unless I can nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    #4. I have NO idea what he means here. Anyone? (I mean, I don't fall down. How do I know what's "out of balance"?)
    I was wondering the same thing and was thinking maybe I need more sleep to decipher that one.
    If I don't get enough sleep I am stupid. I mean room-temperature-IQ# dim. I avoid phone calls and decision making until I get some sleep. Last week I had only about three or four hours of sleep each night for four nights. I reached a point where I couldn't figure out how to put the car in reverse. Seriously. I thought I broke the transmission. I was sitting in the car thinking how pissed my husband was going to be. I also forgot how to turn on the windshield wipers. Derp. Time to get out of the car and go to sleep.

#4:Out of Balance
    I think he means body alignment-I have heard that term used by chiropractors.

I have a curved spine and my shoulders and hips are not aligned, which throws my balance off. On days where I am tired and my muscles are tight, it is worse. So for me, #4 is something I deal with on a daily basis. When I am in better alignment I am less tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    I have a curved spine and my shoulders and hips are not aligned, which throws my balance off. On days where I am tired and my muscles are tight, it is worse. So for me, #4 is something I deal with on a daily basis. When I am in better alignment I am less tired.
    I have a similar problem Reesacat which stems from one leg being slightly shorter than the other. It throws the rest of the body "out of balance". This is not obvious though unless you are looking for it

Thread Information