Thread: Fats? Yes! Carbs? No!

Default Fats? Yes! Carbs? No!

By Edward Martin on 02/01/2011

Forget the low-fat mantra the mainstream has been chanting for generations now, because the consensus is quietly changing.
    Now, top researchers from the nation's leading institutions are singing a new tune, because they're finally recognizing that fat on the belly isn't caused by fat on the dinner plate--but by the sugar and other carbs hidden inside the staples of the modern American diet.

An eye-popping report in the Los Angeles Times offers a who's who of big names joining the Carbohydrate Tea Party: Harvard, Duke, Tufts and UC Davis are throwing the sugar overboard and embracing a common-sense approach that can save millions of lives.
    Let's hope it's not too late--because the latest research shows that today's teens are already suffering from the earliest warning signs of sugar overload.
    Researchers have found that adolescents who consume the most white stuff already have the cardiovascular risk factors that once appeared only in middle age or beyond.
    These sugar-addicted teens have lower levels of HDL ("good") cholesterol, and higher levels of LDL ("bad") cholesterol and triglycerides.

Naturally, they're also far more likely to be overweight and are even showing signs of insulin resistance, putting them at risk for diabetes, according to the study in Circulation.
    The researchers used data from the National Health and Nutrition Survey, and found that today's teens now eat or drink a quarter pound of sugar every single day--nearly double the consumption of kids the same age back in the late 1970s.
    And if that keeps up, we're facing a dark future--because if there's ever been a single ingredient responsible for more death and disease than sugar, I haven't seen it.
    Eliminating sugar in all its forms, even without following an otherwise strict low-carb diet, would do more for your overall health than any other single dietary change.
    And getting rid of the rest of the bad carbs will positively transform you.
    But if you don't want to take my word for it, now you can listen to Harvard:

"If Americans could eliminate sugary beverages, potatoes, white bread, pasta, white rice and sugary snacks, we would wipe out almost all the problems we have with weight and diabetes and other metabolic diseases," Dr. Walter Willett, chairman of the department of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, told the Times.
    Maybe it's time for the low-carb craze to mount a comeback.

http://www.healthiertalk.com/fats-yes-carbs-no-3279

Default Re: Fats? Yes! Carbs? No!

Yes! That is good news-it's a start.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Are potatoes really all that bad, or is it how we tend to cook them?

I think sweet potatoes are one of the best nutritional veggies out there.
    I also eat small white organic potatoes roasted with peel on. Probably the frying in trans-fat veggie oils makes potatoes bad idea.

I don't know this for sure, but I've read that red potatoes are lower in carbs than other white potatoes.

My understanding is that a small amount of white potatoes is OK but it is when you eat an excessive amount, such as a scoop of chips, you are loading in the carbs.

Question Re: Fats? Yes! Carbs? No!

When I eliminate all starchy carbs (no deliberate limit on fat) I feel good for about a day then it’s downhill from there. After about three days I hit a wall and feel similar to how I felt when severely anemic. I have no power (deltoids burn just brushing my hair), want to stay in bed, and get depressed. In contrast I can go on a juice fast and feel good for about three weeks and still do 40 minutes on a Stairmaster.

Does anyone else experience this?

Two days of pizza and chocolate and I feel great. (Shhh… don’t tell the nutrition police.)

A possibility to consider highlander is that the downhill phase may be your body adjusting to the new diet you are eating.

White potatoes without peel are like white rice vs. brown — not good for diabetics, raises BG. Of course if you are on meds it doesn't matter as much, but I avoid them and other root vegetables because of the high starch & sugar content. That doesn't mean never, it means not often.

I'm with you about the white potatoes, Islander, but last night's bubble and squeak qualified as a "special occasion".

Thread Information