Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking suggestions for dry skin

JaiJai

Default Re: Seeking suggestions for dry skin

Organic sesame oil (not roasted! ... unless you want to smell like an asian snack ) is excellent for dry skin and also for what, in Ayurvedic medicine, is called vatta derangement, (simply put, too much nervous energy, anxiety, restlessness, etc.) which is often exacerbated in hot and/or dry climates.
    I spend a lot of time (when not on the coast) in the higher elevations of Idaho and the dry heat and the wind drive me nuts and dry my skin to the point of discomfort.
    Sesame oil is both moisturizing and calming and since it's very warming it's a wonderful treatment in the colder months.
    For the ayurvedic treatment you rub the sesame oil into your skin (and scalp ... important for the vatta condition but it's also great for the hair!) and then get into a very hot shower in order for the pores to open and absorb the oil.
    After the shower just pat (don't rub) your skin dry with a towel.
    I do this at times but often just use sesame oil as a body oil after a shower.
    You can add a drop or two of your favorite essential oil to your rub down if you need a little extra smell to go with or mask the smell of the sesame oil.
    In the summer, organic coconut oil (which is very cooling) is a great moisturizer and relatively inexpensive as you're bypassing the cosmetic industry and just buying a large jar from most markets and for under ten dollars.
    The only problem is that if it doesn't stay fairly warm it gets very hard so in the cooler months it's good to keep it in the warmest place in the home.
    Last edited by JaiJai; 09-08-11 at 01:33 PM.

As well as coconut oil, I also find flax seed oil very good for my skin.

Thanks, JaiJai. Sesame oil sounds like something I should try.

Hemp oil works for me.

I'll have to check into it. I can put three layers of oils, etc. on my face (muck up my hair in the process), go to sleep, and wake up with patches of peeling skin.

I had rosarea (not sure that's spelled right as it freaks out the spell check). I took krill oil and took spoonfuls of olive and hemp oils. Hemp oil also feels good on the skin. My sweet wife loves it. Get a small spray bottle and put aloe vera juice in it and spray it on your face, feels really good. All this helped a lot. Heal from the inside.

I've heard that giving up gluten helps rosacea as well.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I've heard that giving up gluten helps rosacea as well.
    Hasn't done much for me, tho since dieting i think my redness is a bit less. When i can do more amino acids, that might help too. Reesacat said her hair went back to normal color when she was taking aminos, i think mine was as well, but the doc has had me discontinue most of them for now.

Highlander, have you tried the aloe vera juice with glycerin? That works for me when nothing else will, and i've known people for whom it cleared up some pretty severe dry skin patches, too.

Going gluten free really helped my rosacea. Going grain free it has almost cleared up.
    My skin looks very good now. It used to literally crack in winter no matter what I did.
    I do think it has corrected some since I went on the HCG diet — I now just moisturize with organic Miessence moisturizer a couple of times a day and do a bit extra with coconut oil or aragn oil when I have the heat turned on. I have somewhat dry skin (post-menopausal 50 something) and cranky hypothyroid but this is the best it has been for a decade or so.

I did not know so many of you suffer from rosacea. Healing Natural Oils makes a very successful product for this condition with essential oils and my next door neighbour here in Cape Town suffers badly along with her brother so that she tried H-Rosacea and now I have to bring back an order for her and her brother from San Diego every time! I have written quite a few articles on the condition so I must look one up and post it on HH.

Please do, Jane — I would be very interested in what the essential oils do for rosacea.
    And I always enjoy your articles!

Quote Originally Posted by Katee View Post
    Highlander, have you tried the aloe vera juice with glycerin? That works for me when nothing else will, and i've known people for whom it cleared up some pretty severe dry skin patches, too.
    I did, Katee. It became super sticky on me. I couldn't leave it on long before I had to wash it off. Thank you for the suggestion, though. Maybe I'm just an anomoly.

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    I now just moisturize with organic Miessence moisturizer a couple of times a day and do a bit extra with coconut oil or aragn oil when I have the heat turned on.
    I did a search for that moisturizer and that seems expensive to me. Do you have a source with a lower price? Is the product super awesome and worth $50-ish? (If it lasted for a year and solved my problem it would be worth it.)

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I did a search for that moisturizer and that seems expensive to me. Do you have a source with a lower price? Is the product super awesome and worth $50-ish? (If it lasted for a year and solved my problem it would be worth it.)
    Afraid not. I'm sure it's pure enough to eat, but I once ordered the $25 size and it came in a tube you could fit in your mouth. Well, not exactly, but waaay too pricey for what you get. I use both coconut oil and something called Desert Essence Organic Body Care, 100% vegan, certified organic, slight coconut fragrance. I like the way it feels and absorbs. Get it from vitacost, very reasonable, other sources may have the same or similar product.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Just adding my 2 cents worth. The only cream I have used on my skin for the last 30 years has been a simple, cheap moisturiser with jojoba oil mixed in. I add a little more oil in winter than summer. Maybe genetically I have a basically good skin, but most people think I am younger than my 74 years.

BTW, I was eking out the oil at $35 a bottle, till I found the same thing at iherb for $7!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information