Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking suggestions for dry skin

Question Seeking suggestions for dry skin

I live at about 8200 feet elevation in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. It's semi-arid, often windy, super sunny, and we use heaters nine months of the year. I'm 46 and am constantly battling extremely dry skin. Shocking, I know. I drink lots of water. I take Omega 3 Fish Oil and Evening Primrose Oil. I eat coconut oil, olive oil, pasture butter, fruits, veggies, nuts/seeds, fish. I wash my face with Burt's Bees orange essence facial cleanser. I use Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta facial moisturizer. I put olive oil on my body when I get out of the shower or bath and put cocoa butter on my feet. Sometimes I put EVCO on my face and elbows. If I don't stay on top of the high-maintenance routine my skin will get so dry it hurts.

Any suggestions? (And thanks in advance!)

Default Re: Seeking suggestions for dry skin

Well, being from Albuquerque, I totally understand.
    Shea butter. The real shea butter works wonders for me.

Have you ever tried coconut oil and/or flaxseed oil on your skin as a moisturiser?

How about flax seed oil internally as well as externally on your skin? The flax oil contains a parent Omega 3 fatty acid, which although marginally converted to EPA/DHA in the body, nevertheless serves as a healthy way to bring the epidermis up to a suitably moist exterior. As Aaltrude has said, coconut oil also could be of benefit internally (in food, cooked or raw) or externally on the skin. Hope this helps.

I love the high desert, but due to the necessity for following the work, no longer live there.

Are you sure it is weather related? Hypothyroidism is a frequently overlooked cause as are hormonal changes. Even the items you are using could have ingredients that are exacerbating the problem rather than helping it.

I had the same problem a couple of winters ago. First, the thyroid dropped-not only dry skin but I started losing some hair. So I did the temp graphing via Dr. Rind and got that straightened out http://www.drrind.com/therapies/meta...perature-graph
    I found that I could cleanse my skin with just coconut oil-rub it on, let it sit a few minutes, and either wipe off excess with warm cloth or shower and pat dry. I also put raw honey on my skin (1 tablespoon mix with a few drops warm water) let sit a few minutes and rinse off in shower.
    I also will put 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar in 1 quart warm water and use a microfiber cloth to sponge bath every other day. If I shower everyday my skin is too dry. The ACV rebalances the ph and is very refreshing.
    Last edited by Islander; 02-28-11 at 07:21 AM.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

We live at near 7,000 ft above sea level. Very, very dry here.

I know i've posted this before, but about 2-1/2 years ago my fingers were cracking around the cuticles and nothing would help. I tried just about everything out there including coconut oil and a number of different creams from the health food store. NOTHING was doing anything but making my skin greasy.

I did a number of Google searches, but all the suggestions were everything i had tried before. Until i found one posted by a lady with diabetes. She said that even the Rx creams from her doctor were not working. But she heard of an old recipe of glycerin and distilled water. She couldn't praise it high enough.

So i decided to try it. This is the recipe: 1 part (i usually use 1/2 cup) vegetable glycerin and 4 parts (2 cups) distilled water. If it feels a bit sticky, add a little water.

However, when i was getting ready to make this, i passed by some aloe vera juice, which i know is very watery. Aloe vera is suppose to be good for lots of things, so i decided to substitute this for most of the distilled water. The concoction very watery, so i keep it in a spray bottle.

I've been so pleased with this. I use it all over, on my hands and face and body. My legs had gotten very dry and itchy, but a couple of applications and that problem is gone. I keep a bottle of it in the shower and apply it all over after my shower.

I've shared this with several people. Most of them like it quite a lot. It isn't a lotion, so for some it takes some getting used to. I even use it on my feet when they are dry and cracking and regular applications has softened them up considerably. I can't say enough good things about this stuff. I am so very pleased with it. It is like a miracle for me, tho very simple.

I'll be honest, i don't always make it simply. I purchased aloe vera gel by accident one time and decided to use some of it anyway. It meant more work, using a whizzy stick to mix it & then i strained it several times thru coffee filters. I liked the result - it was even silkier than the other, but much more labor intensive. Sometimes i add a few drops of essential oil for a scent, too.

I think you can still buy rosewater and glycerin in some stores.

I forgot to mention-if you have chlorinated water getting a shower filter really helps. I went to stay with a friend for a couple of weeks some years back when she had a miscarriage and they had well water. My skin got so much better-came home to chlorinated water and within 48 hours my skin and hair were dry and irritated again. Got a shower filter and it really helps.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions. Yep, I'm hypothyroid so that may be part of it. (My hair feels soft and is not dry so I think it's not the whole problem.) I do like coconut oil. I haven't tried flax seed oil on my skin so I may try that. I have shea butter soaps and lotions and I'll look for something with a higher content.
    The glycerin and aloe vera sounds very interesting -- I'll definitely check that out.
    We do have chlorinated water (which I detest) and I've been wanting to get a shower filter. I know that's probably a big problem.
    You all are awesome.

Veteran Member

I think aloe vera is great stuff, and have used it with great success. We have a lovely aloe plant in a planter box on our little veranda. I do have one caution about its use on skin, and I don't know if the reaction I'm going to describe is normal, or only happens to people with sensitive skin, or exactly what.

I once put some straight aloe vera gel, fresh from the plant, on certain parts of my face, then went out to hang up some laundry in the sun. (This was several years ago, when we lived in a house rather than an apartment.) I was out in the sun just long enough to hang a load of laundry, and when I came in, I had bright red (very bright red, like the face of the little guy banging his head against a brick wall on the 'smileys'--though why they're ALL called smileys, I don't understand) blotches on the exact areas of my face where I had put the aloe vera gel. They eventually went away, but just wanted to mention this.

I once saw, but didn't buy, a box of supposedly natural laundry detergent that had aloe vera as one of the ingredients. It had a caution not to hang the laundry washed with it in the sun. (My reaction to that is, Duh, what good is a laundry detergent if I can't hang the clothes in the sun?!?) Anyway, I'm guessing it could discolor the clothes, or some such thing. So perhaps aloe vera doesn't react well with direct sunlight once it's extracted.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 03-04-11 at 02:52 PM. Reason: I cannot get spaces between the paragraphs! Finally used html code to put them in. Can't get quotation marks either, don't know the html code for'm, and don't feel like looking it up. There was also a

Do not understand why you had a problem. This app doesn't even accept html. Very weird!

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

I know y'all will think i'm very biased for the glycerin mixture i use, but frankly i've had amazing results with it.

This last week i decided to do an informal test with it. My feet (like every one elses') tend to get very dry, especially in winter. I'd not been putting anything on them regularly, so i decided to try the glycerin/aloe mixture on one foot, coconut oil on the other. I did that for a week.

During the week, i saw very little difference between the two. They both were moisturized, somewhat soft, not showing dry skin. I kind of shrugged and thought that well, i guess it doesn't matter after all.

But after a week i kind of forgot and slacked off for a couple of days. I went to reapply the two different ones today. The foot i was using the glycerin/aloe on wasn't showing much regression. The foot with the coconut oil had more dry skin and flaking.

Not a scientific test, and i do tend to be biased, but it seems to work well for me. I also prefer the glycerin/aloe because it isn't as greasy as the coconut oil.

I like information like that-personal experience helps me make choices. Thank you, Katee

I have found the flax seed oil works much better on my feet than the coconut oil - perhaps because it is omega 3.

Katee, I've got those ingredients on a list to buy next time I head to Charleston and go to that natural food store. My heals stay dry and cracked no matter what I do and your experience gives me hope

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information