Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel energized after eating?

Question Do you feel energized after eating?

(If this has already been addressed please point me in the right direction.)

Do any of you feel energized after eating? Logically it seems that would be the case but I never feel energized after eating no matter what I eat. (I've kept detailed logs looking for a solution.) I guess I should also add that I've never experienced sugar rushes even as a child with an Easter basket too big and too full to carry. And it would take about four venti-sized coffees in a row from Starbucks for me to feel any buzz from caffeine. (I can drink a couple cups and go to sleep.) I'm thinking either a) I was born with compromised adrenals, and/or b) I've got some bizarro metabolism best suited to a plant.

Thanks in advance for insight from the wise ones.

Default Re: Do you feel energized after eating?

Are you eating gluten? Until I went gluten-free all meals left me tired.

Just curious-what does energize you?

If I eat too much I get sleepy; otherwise, nothing I eat makes me feel any different from anything else I eat. If I haven't had meat for a while, I will get a craving for protein...that's about it. Nothing energizes me. If I have coffee after 3 p.m. it will interfere with sleep, but I can't say it energizes me. Sorry. Maybe we share the same genotype?

Sleeping about 10 hours solid will get me through about 12 hours of normal activity. Then I have to just sit and read or watch a movie or some other spud behavior. If I take a 90-minute nap I can go about 6 more hours.

If I eat a piece of fruit with raw nuts or cheese I'll feel ok but not energized. Same with a green salad. If I eat any grain I get even more tired/hungry than before I ate it so I try to avoid them. Eggs, turkey, fish, or protein shakes don't energize me either although they help with hunger more than grains so I can go longer without feeling physically hungry.

Reesacat, when you went gluten-free how long did it take for you to feel better? And would something like gluten in a condiment be enough to drag you back down?

Islander, the first time I heard an "expert" say food should energize you I thought "no way!" Maybe it's Celtic roots rebelling.

Yes to Highlander's question-any gluten tires me out even in condiments. If you have low thyroid/low adrenals, any gluten stresses them (if you are gluten sensitive it is almost like a mild allergic reaction). I had to be totally gluten-free for about 2 months before I really started feeling the difference (this meant giving up corn and beer, sigh!). Rice and quiona don't seem to tire me out, but I do better with small amounts.

I've been gluten-free for almost a full year. At first I lost about 6 pounds but it crept back. I have noticed no difference in the way I feel, though I've been told that the slightest gluten will be a setback. I take it on faith that my intestines have been damaged, and I don't feel it's a great sacrifice to eliminate grains, so I just keep on keeping on.

Highlander, everyone's sleep needs differ; I need 8 as a rule, 9 if I've been stressed, an afternoon nap if I've been really knocked around. But 10 hours of filling your tank, to get only a 12-hour ride...that does seem like an odd ratio. Are you pushing yourself really hard during the course of the day? Under a lot of stress? During the years that I worked in adolescent mental health, I was so stressed that I could sleep instantly, anywhere, when sleep was possible. In any kind of waiting room...on any moving vehicle...in a plane, I was asleep before we left the runway. Behind the wheel, I kept a pillow in the back seat because within 20-30 minutes of leaving home I'd be nodding off and would have to pull over. Would sleep for about an hour, then be good to go for the rest of the day. Clearly a lot of factors affect one's need for sleep.

Highlander, I like Reesacats hinting toward some metabolic disorder, have you had any blood workups for Thyroid function, Adrenal insufficiency etc. ?

Quote Originally Posted by LabDoc View Post
    Highlander, I like Reesacats hinting toward some metabolic disorder, have you had any blood workups for Thyroid function, Adrenal insufficiency etc. ?
    Hey LabDoc, Yep, I am hypothyroid and on natural dessicated thyroid. My personal theory is that I was probably born with compromised adrenals (my mom was under life-or-death stress while pregnant with me) and then I grew up with some off-the-chart family dysfunction. My career was deadline driven and that was stressful, too. By the time I was 34 and had my second child I was living in the perfect stress storm and really hit a wall. I haven't been the same since. So, while I know I have those issues and have been actively reducing stress as much as possible, I'm sure my diet needs some more tweaking in order to feel better. Reesacat has me thinking avoiding gluten can only help.

Islander, I have noticed that if I have a very stressful day it will take about two days of doing virtually nothing but resting in order to recover. This week has been Spring Break for my kids and I've found that I can get by on 8-9 hours of sleep. You're right -- there is a direct correlation between stress levels and sleep requirements. My tolerance level is low.

Highlander, your situation seems so similar to mine. It has taken me a few decades to get used to this gluten-free thing. Last night we went out to our favorite sushi restaurant, and finally I had mustered the courage to bring my own wheat-free shoyu (tamari) in a small jar, which did not even leak all over everything. It's about time I bit the bullet, and quit trying to ignore the little tiny sneaky sources of gluten in all sorts of things.

Anyway, if I can do it, with my stunning lack of self-discipline, so can you!

Maurya, I think you're right. I've just gotta look this thing in the eye and call a spade a spade. I'm thinking about how to drag my husband and children along with me. Half of me thinks that is selfish and the other half thinks it's for their own good. My kids would say I'm overthinking it (until they find out pizza is on the line).

Pizza? What's that? Yeah, I remember it well...

I wonder whether anyone posted the cauliflower pizza crust recipe from (I think) the grain-free foodies blog. The writer claimed her kids raved about it so, they preferred it to the traditional wheat crust.

aha! It's there, I just checked. Organic & GF Kitchen forum, of course.

Fortunately we can buy some really nice GF pizza bases in NZ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information