Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the point? Coffee clatch?

Default Re: What's the point? Coffee clatch?

Well I don't have time to listen to the interview, but I must be missing something because other than that, the only thing I saw is an ad for Capt Randell's book. That snake is a little phallic don't ya think?

An example of current redox research from the Alzheimer's Research Foundation:
    Taos: Redox Redux—Putting the Oxidative Stress Theory to the Test

6 April 2011. Suggesting that oxidative stress precipitates cell death in neurodegenerative disease is one thing; proving it is quite another. If seeing is believing, then researchers may have brought us one step closer. At Neurodegenerative Diseases: The Molecular and Cellular Basis of Neurodegeneration, a Keystone Symposium held 21-26 February 2011 in Taos, New Mexico, Brian Bacskai of Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, showed that cell death does indeed follow oxidative stress in normal mice, but more so in models of Alzheimer’s disease. Bacskai presented work performed by postdoctoral fellow Hong Xie using a redox-sensitive reporter to illuminate oxidative stress in the brains of living mice.

Rest of the article:
    http://www.alzforum.org/new/detail.asp?id=2750

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Randall View Post
    !Why not spread Hawkes ' link around for a bigger readership?
    I'm happy with the speed at which we are expanding. If you notice, we have (like any alt. health site) easily 10x the guests as we have active members...sometimes 100x. We pick up a few from mercola, a few from twitter, a few from Facebook, a few from friends of friends. I daresay I spend an hour out of every day screening applicants and dumping spammers. I run the site out of my own pocket (with occasional support from members) and will soon have to purchase more disk space and more bandwidth — all good signs, but they have a cost. I intend to maintain it free of advertising, as a repository for all alternative viewpoints, not a vehicle for promoting an isolated approach to optimal health. It's no one's platform; it's everyone's resource.

'Capt.' Randall, interesting theories you have indeed. Wonder if you could give us a little more information about yourself, namely 'Capt.' of what and awarded by whom? You studied Chemistry and Biology at the University of Florida, what degrees did you graduate with?

highlander, 'get that idea into your head' has the same effect on me - like someome pointing a finger and saying 'now look'.

I don't think there is only one cause for all diseases. I got fed-up with that other site, where two posters in particular pound their ideas. One believes gluten intolerance is the reason behind all illness, the other says lack of sulphur. I get a strong urge to give them a thumbs down every time they post, but I resist.

And I have only been here a few times, but I love the friendliness of this site. Thank you Islander for inviting me over.

I keep wanting to say "get a life". All that rambling on meant absolutely nothing to me. If your reader is not from a medical or scientific background then it needs to be spelt out clearly in layman's terms otherwise you will soon lose that reader.

@Julianne: I share your feelings about those two posters that keep shooting that one arrow in their quiver. Like you, I resisted the knee-jerk thumbs down, but a day or two ago I gave in. When one poster repeats the same words 3-4-5 times on a page, that's it for me. From now on, she gets one chance. After that? Thumbs down! Waste of bandwidth.

Same for the Lord of the Sulfur. I held his feet to the fire a week or so ago. I asked him to furnish one source confirming that sulfur had been removed from our diets. He gave me two links, neither of which had anything to do with sulfur. I said so. He tried again — nothing. He claimed 80,000 people in his study showed enormous benefits; later he admits that there were 1200 participants. We went back and forth and I never got a satisfactory answer from him. He is a p.i.t.a. and I intend to give him the thumb the next time he shows up. The whole point of VV is to move valuable contributions to the top of the page, and useless dreck to the bottom. I intend to sink him!

I love Lady Jane's answer-we need to have a "Get A Life" button!!! Julieanne, it is a delight having you and our newer members on the forum...I learn so much from the wealth of ideas and experiences and have fun at the same time
    More coffee, anyone?

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    I don't think there is only one cause for all diseases. I got fed-up with that other site, where two posters in particular pound their ideas. One believes gluten intolerance is the reason behind all illness, the other says lack of sulphur. I get a strong urge to give them a thumbs down every time they post, but I resist.
    I actually DO believe in one cause for disease, but it is nothing as simplistic as lack of sulfur or that the whole population has Celiac disease (that poster certainly plucks one string in an amazingly annoying way, and i only visit that site on rare occasion now).

When i first began to get into natural health, i read Raymond Francis' book Never Be Sick Again. It recommends many of the things Kevin Trudeau says, but without all the conspiracy theorist ranting. It was a good start for me on this path. Francis' model of illness states one cause of disease: Cellular malfunction. So, cancer has one type of cell malfunction, heart disease another, gluten intolerance another. Cell malfunction has two causes, toxicity and lack of nutrition/deficiency. So, lack of sulfur would be one type of deficiency, celiac would be a toxicity (leading to deficiency). I don't remember him saying, but it is my belief that toxicity/deficiency turns on or off certain genes to which a person may be pre-disposed.

Thus, for example, someone who can't clear the toxins from a vaccine may have specific genes exposed that the cell malfunction creates autism for them, another might then struggle with ADHD, another with gut issues. Or a combination of these or others. But while the problems are different, at a cellular level the issues are the same: Cells are malfunctioning.

He has a six fold plan for addressing the toxicity and deficiency. However, i am coming to agree with what Mellow said elsewhere: Sometimes there is just too much damage for full recovery to occur. I do believe that following his tenants will lead to a healthier life, but i think some of us have been damaged in a way so that full health cannot be restored. I feel defeatist saying this, but several of us have followed this natural health path for a long time now. I think i am not as sick as i would be, but i can't say that i feel full health or vitality.
    Last edited by Islander; 04-25-11 at 10:41 AM.

Katee, I'm following your logic and I see your point. One thing I have to say: I've read Kevin Trudeau and he's wrong just about as often as he is right. Proceed with caution!

Kevin Trudeau is first and foremost a salesman. He looks for things (ideas) that he can put together in a package (book) and sell. Anything that raises eyebrows has a good selling point but he's not a good filter. He bundles both the wheat and tares then he's off to infomercial land.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Katee, I'm following your logic and I see your point. One thing I have to say: I've read Kevin Trudeau and he's wrong just about as often as he is right. Proceed with caution!

The only reason i ever read Kevin Trudeau is because a friend of my hubby's gave us the book (& encouraged us to pass it on). Which i will never do because it was the most chaotic book i've ever read.

He has good ideas here and there, but the book follows no logical form. If i remember (i think it was 2003/2004 i read it) i had to wade thru 4 chapters before i hit any info that was concrete and helpful. I thought that from there the book would continue with helpful recommendations, but it diverged again into conspiracy theory rants - "They" were out to get him and run him out of business. From what i could tell in the book, "they" were probably right. He comes off as a sleazy, slick con-artist, even if some of his recommendations seem to make sense.

A couple of years ago, i saw a sequel book to his first on sale. It was a paperback and had been marked down to $1, so i got it, simply curious to know if he said anything of interest or if he was able to make more sense. I think i skimmed it and saw nothing whatsoever of value.

I know KT has written a number of books, but they all seem to appeal to the conspiracy theory set. I know i said this before, but i've never read a more chaotic, poorly outlined book in my life. The conspiracies he was outlining would involve everyone from the highest gov't official down to the lowliest farmer. They simply were unbelievable. I would never recommend his books to anyone.

Raymond Francis, on the other hand, writes with a rational voice. He follows a pattern that is easy to understand. He does not fall into the trap of claiming everyone in government is out to get him. If read with critical thinking skills and approached with the intelligence to listen to the wisdom of your own body, i think his recommendations are sound.

I do agree that cell malfunction is a core issue in disease-but there is more beyond that.
    New research into Quantum Mechanics looks at the energy fields around the electrons, and works by Dr. Bruce Lipton and others are offering a fascinating glimpse into this field.

I honestly think you can explain disease up to a point-and then the Unknown has to be acknowledged. Humans are very complex, and there is Mystery in Life that can't be explained.
    People that try to have an explanation for everything miss out on the Mystery of Life and for me just aren't fun to be around! (I tend to run screaming in the opposite direction).

Sometimes you just have to have a glass of wine, eat some chocolate and go: "I don't have an idea why so-and-so yaddda yadda yadda-and don't need to!"

Thumbs up Re: What's the point? Coffee clatch?

Reesacat... applause.

Reesacat, I'm with you.
    Finishing up my second cup of coffee by the way.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information