Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home-Made Liposomal Vitamin C (and Glutathione)

Default Re: Home-Made Liposomal Vitamin C (and Glutathione)

The whole point about the liposomal formulation is that it doesn't sit in the GI tract but is absorbed up to 8 times better so using ascorbic acid in the formulaton is not a problem. I can take 4,000 mg liposomal C with no GI side effects but if I took the equvilent in regular vitamin C (32,000 mg) I'd be in the bathroom nonstop!

Thegratefulgardener

@Reesacat - Thanks. I didn't understand that at all. Makes it much easier to get this going for my friend.

I buy mine -- use LiveonLab brand I get at Iherb, but Mellow makes hers and takes up to 4,000 mg liposomal C with no probems (we both have CFIDS/MCS).
    Last edited by Reesacat; 08-26-11 at 12:18 AM.

Let us know how it works for your friend?
    And your friend is blessed to have you to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Thegratefulgardener View Post
    Thanks, Mellowsong! I was about to get that one when I read that with high doses, like my friend with Lupus will need, the ascorbic acid will bother her tummy. You tolerate it well - what kind of doses are you taking, if you don't mind my asking.
    I take 1.5grams twice a day. When I feel like I might be trying to catch a bug, I'll take 4 to 6 grams/day. Even the higher doses do not bother my stomach at all nor does it cause diarrhea. No way I could take that much regular Vitamin C without problems. Most of the ascorbic acid is encased in a phospholipid bubble and is absorbed with the phospholipid so it is very different than regular vitamin C in how it affects the GI tract.

Aaaaand I'm different (again!) in that I routinely take 4 grams daily in capsules (spaced out 4 times/day). If I hear a bug knocking on the door, I take a gram every 2 hours above and beyond the usual dose, along with echinacea and olive leaf. That would be roughly 10-12 grams/day — usually one day of that is all I need. I have never experienced any GI distress at that level. Maybe that's a signal that my body is putting it right to use?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

You do great, Islander! Taking the Vitamin C in divided doses is smart and increases absorption of the regular form.
    Intolerance to supplements is often found with MCS and CFIDS. Mellow and I have long-standing malabsorption problems, so for us or someone else with chronic health issues the liposomal form is close to a miracle.

I edited the sticky but: Last night I had to make more liposomal glutathione. I didn't even have the energy to open or pound the capsules. Saw some kitchen shears on the counter and light bulb flashed. I snipped the ends off the caps, shook the contents into a jar and that was the end of it. I think this is the easiest way to open all those caps

mellow, what sort of dose do you take - of the glutathione? Have you ever tried inhaled glutathione?

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    mellow, what sort of dose do you take - of the glutathione? Have you ever tried inhaled glutathione?
    I tried inhaled glutathione. Initially it was very helpful but over time, started causing major bronchospasms and I discovered that this is because it forms sulfites in the airway. Apparently I'm sulfite sensitive and could not continue using it nebulized. When I first started making liposomal glutathione, I was taking 2g/day. I took that much for about 6 months, then cut back to 1g/day. Very high dose but home-made is not as potent as what you buy and also, I really wanted to make sure some was getting to my lungs. I recently switched to a prepared liposomal glutathione and now take 500mg/day. One problem with prepared glutathione for me is that they all use preservatives and many use ingredients I just can't tolerate. I thought I found one brand that was good but it tastes horrid and honestly I think it's oxidized because the taste gets worse the longer it's opened, even in the fridge.

Thanks mellow. I have been taking N-Acetyl Cysteine 600mg 3 x day for a while now. I have no idea how much glutathione the body might make with this dose, I guess there is no way to measure it.

Still thinking about the liposomal. Can you overdo it? (I'm not sulphite sensitive).

@Julieanne, I took a hefty dose of NAC for a long time (I think 1200mg 3X/day but can't remember) and did not see the improvements I have with liposomal glutathione. I definitely cough less and don't get as short of breath. I've been doing liposomal for probably close to a year now. It took a while to see a change. I doubt you can overdo it but it is expensive and most research I've seen (on liposomal) recommends 500mg (actually most are 420mg) to 1g/day.

Thanks again. It's so useful to get someone's personal experience, rather than Google the information. I guess that is what this forum is all about, among other things.

Mellow,
    I'm curious about your first post about the liposomal C. The buffered C you had that would not work, what was it buffered with?
    I routinely use sodium ascorbate (that I mix myself) to make liposomal C.

I'd also like to ask if anyone knows why C makes such major changes in my mood/emotions? Calming and smoothing out anxiety and irritability and emotional over-reactions.This effect that I get isn't because it is liposomal, I get the same effect if I take the sodium ascorbate straight.

Quote Originally Posted by sollyb View Post
    I'm curious about your first post about the liposomal C. The buffered C you had that would not work, what was it buffered with? I routinely use sodium ascorbate (that I mix myself) to make liposomal C.
    When Vitamin C (usually the ascorbate salt) says buffered, it means they added minerals like magnesium, calcium and potassium to buffer the acidity. For some reason, buffered would not hold in liposomal form...it would separate in a few hours no matter how long I blended it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information