Thread: Statins: The side effects 'are worse than feared'

Default Statins: The side effects 'are worse than feared'

By Jenny Hope
    21st May 2010

The side effects of statins can be far worse than previously thought, a study suggests.
    For the first time, the level of harm posed by the cholesterol-lowering drugs has been quantified by researchers.
    They found some users are much more likely to suffer liver dysfunction, acute kidney failure, cataracts and muscle damage known as myopathy.
    For some patients, the risk is eight times higher than among those not taking statins. Overall, the risk of myopathy - which may be irreversible - is six times higher for men on statins and three times higher for women.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz1JvdkYUwA

Default Re: Statins: The side effects 'are worse than feared' Read more: http://www.dailymai

It makes a lot of sence considering the building block of cell walls is choleserol. Take away the cholesterol and it just seems reasonable that there would be all manner of cell break down.

Default Re: Statins: The side effects 'are worse than feared' Read more: http://www.dailymai

I was one of the early documented cases of "statin induced myopathy". It is about 11 years since it was diagnosed and statins discontinued but I know I never regained my strength. Things were so bad, they were certain I had multiple sclerosis and were shocked when the MRI showed no plaque. I was then told I had some kind of neuro-degenerative disorder but they didn't know what. I was waiting for an appointment at University of FL, Gainesville, when my doctor read an article about statins and myopathy in a medical journal. He had me stop the drug immediately. It was months before my balance returned to normal but as I said, I never regained my strength.

Default Re: Statins: The side effects 'are worse than feared'

Mellow,
    <- Encouragement smiley.

What Samurai said!

I'll add my ditto

oceanforkids

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong View Post
    ... when my doctor read an article about statins and myopathy in a medical journal. He had me stop the drug immediately. It was months before my balance returned to normal but as I said, I never regained my strength. SNIPPED FOR LENGTH
    Thank heavens you had a doctor with some foresight who was not afraid to say "stop the drug". Pity they don't find/know these things before they write the scripts. I'm seconding that encouragement smiley from Samurai.

(I hope my smiley face shows up this time!)

Quote Originally Posted by oceanforkids View Post
    Thank heavens you had a doctor with some foresight who was not afraid to say "stop the drug". (I hope my smiley face shows up this time!)
    This guy, though conventional, I think is a real life Dr. House. He had the most amazing diagnostic skills and treated his patients so well. He was new to the hospital I worked at and I was new and signed up with him. Within 6 months, his practice was full and a good portion was hospital staff, lol. If I ever move back that way, I would go back to him because he'd listen and would probably know about the stuff I'm doing.

When he called me and told me to stop, he also ordered blood work. I was bordering on kidney failure (rhabdomyolosis) where the protein from muscle break down plugs up the kidneys. BAD DRUG!!!

Man there are some good smiles tonight. Mellow, so glad you were hooked up with this doc. What a difference to have someone who is wise and can listen. I once had a patient on statins who came into the hosp with rhabdo. When I questioned the fact that she had not been taken off the statins, is was told, "well there are other causes of rhabdo". Unbelievable, you'd think the docs would immediately remove any possible causes or anything that could contribute to making it worse. Then several months later I got a patient and the docs were flat out admitting that she was in for statin induced rhabdo. So, it appears they can get it right some of the time. Where does this inconsistency come from?

Thread Information