Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have their mower quit and decide to use a scythe instead of a new $3000 mower?

Default Re: Anyone have their mower quit and decide to use a scythe instead of a new $3000 mo

An update on Scything vs Mowing and a push for inspired action:

A week ago my mower's belt shredded. It took a week and $76 to get a new one via UPS. Meanwhile, I watched the weeds go to seed in my yard, threatening to move their percentage from 30% up closer toward 100% over the next 4 months.

I've been reading Dr. Wayne Dyer's Inspiration. Just maybe because I've been thinking a little about going with impulses and inspiration vs "to do" lists and compunction oriented tasks, I decided to check the garage sales on Craig's List this morning. Wham! There was a sale 8 miles away that said "tools, scythes, etc."

That sale was a museum. Two-man cross-cut saws, draw knives, wood-bodied planes, churns, just very exciting. And 3 scythes, $15 each! Yep, I bought one, took it home, sharpened it, and did some trimming at the edge of the woods where I hadn't cared to drive the tractor when mowing.

I'm not saying I'm replacing the mower, but never again will the weeds threaten me with their seeds just because I don't have a "mower" machine.
    Last edited by Stoneharbor; 06-10-11 at 11:09 PM.

Default Re: Anyone have their mower quit and decide to use a scythe instead of a new $3000 mo

Awesome!

Scythe?
    What in the helicopter is that? I don't even know what a mower is. Isn't that what HOA*'s are for??

*home owner's assoc.

I want a CHURN!

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I want a CHURN!

My mother has one. She only used it for butter once. It took too much cream and too much time. After that she made butter with her mixer. (They have not had cows since i was a kid.)

We were making butter using our mixer and had looked into getting a churn. They turn up fairly regularly on Trade Me (NZ equivilent of ebay) but usually go for high prices. Then we were both diagnosed as dairy intolerant......

I used to make the most wonderful butter. I had the old-fashioned grooved paddles to work the butter with, and a couple of old-fashioned butter molds that made just lovely squares. Sold all the butter I could make (that the family didn't consume) and only wish it had brought the price then that it brings now!

We still have the grooved butter pats for making butter sitting in a drawer. They were hand made by my husband. For the uninitiated - this is what butter pats are like.

http://tinyurl.com/4xtdjwt

Whenever we pass through Woodville, a New Zealand village, we always stop to look in the Mart that had the butter pats pictured here. They often have an amazing array of eclectic items, as well as a huge amount of junk, but hey, one man's junk is another man's treasure.

What are they doing with my butter paddles??? And here's the kind of butter mold I used to have. Would love to have another one or 2, but not at $225 each! Attachment 129
    Last edited by Islander; 06-11-11 at 03:38 PM.

[QUOTE=Samurai;29290]Scythe?
    What in the helicopter is that? I don't even know what a mower is. Isn't that what HOA*'s are for??

Nice one Samuri, but really I scythe my apt all the time. I thought everone knew what one was LOL.

I could use a scythe on the freeway when people drive rudely. bmc, scythe your apartment? I like that; you must have a lot of hair.

You guys are killing me! Is it something in the water?

I hope Stoneharbor doesn't see what you all have done to his thread!

I think Stoneharbor can tolerate a couple of 'cut-ups'....ducks....

Good thing you ducked — did you hear that whooshing sound as my scythe whizzed above your head?

This is shear nonsense.... :: runs away ::

Very punny you non- dangler guys :p

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information