Thread: All about Medical Marijuana, Uses and Benefits

Default All about Medical Marijuana, Uses and Benefits

Marijuana is the dry, shredded parts of the plant Cannabis sativa. Medical marijuana is the controlled use of the plant as medication for some illnesses.

Humans have used marijuana since the earliest times. The earliest known reference to cannabis was found written in Assyrian tablets of the 7th century BC. In England, around 1597, it was used to ease pain and to treat jaundice. The 1975 Marijuana and Health, Fifth Annual Report to the U.S. Congress stated that Cannabis is one of the ancient healing drugs. (Nat'l Institute on Drug Abuse, 117)
    What does medical marijuana mean? "Medical marijuana" refers to the use of the drug Cannabis as an herbal therapy as prescribed by a licensed doctor to a qualifying patient to help treat his or her condition. A "qualifying patient" refers to the one that has been diagnosed by a licensed doctor as having a debilitating medical health condition.
    Is Marijuana Medicine?

The ruins of the Nile civilization in Egypt have had indications that humans used marijuana as an aid to some health conditions. There were also evidences that the herb was used to aid childbirth. When chewed or smoked, marijuana influences the Autonomic Nervous System, wherein it expands the lungs, and relaxes the body. As tension is released by the action, mental pressure changes into a feeling of well-being.

Default Re: All about Medical Marijuana, Uses and Benefits

I am in favor of medical marijuana-if it helps cancer pain or glaucoma or ease the effects of treatment for AIDS, etc. please let people have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    I am in favor of medical marijuana-if it helps cancer pain or glaucoma or ease the effects of treatment for AIDS, etc. please let people have it.
    I want to compare 2 patients I had at the same time while doing hospice.

Patient #1 was a man in his 40s. He was extremely active, out riding his motorcycle, going out with friends etc until almost the very end. He lost some weight but wasn't startlingly thin. He rarely actually threw up. We did not have a hard time controlling his pain, even at the end. He was usually in a very good mood and dealing with things well. He died peacefully in his sleep. He smoked a LOT of joints.

Patient #2 was a female about the same age. She was a skeleton weighing maybe 70lbs at the end. She was extremely depressed and stayed in bed all the time, even before it was physically necessary. She vomited constantly and her pain was very difficult to control. She had an agonizing death even with us pumping sub q morphine. She was on prescription THC.

Now, I realize every one is different with various unresolved issues etc. However, I wasn't the only one noting the differences. Even the CNAs would talk about it. I really think there are many more biologically active compounds in marijuana than just THC and I believe, for best medical benefit, the whole plant needs to be used. Not sure about the smoking part but that doesn't really matter if a person is dying anyway but AFAIK, it is also active when consumed or chewed. I totally agree with Reesacat that people should have access to medical marijuana.

There's an issue coming up about building a "privatized" prison in a small, isolated town a bit north of me. I plan to attend a meeting on it. (We don't want it here). But the deeper issue is, why is the U.S. prison population higher than that of the rest of the world combined? I would personally like to see all drugs legalized and end the absurd, money-sucking "war on drugs." No, we're too stupid to go that far, it would put too many federal employees out of work...but legalizing marijuana would empty out probably half the prison population. It would be a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    No, we're too stupid to go that far, it would put too many federal employees out of work...but legalizing marijuana would empty out probably half the prison population. It would be a start.
    My oldest daughter and I were having a similar discussion several years ago and she almost fainted when I stated I would love to see marijuana legalized and talked about the wasted money and more so, the wasted lives of those who have gone to prison for it. Not sure I can say legalize all drugs but the "war on drugs" is a huge failure and has no hope of ever succeeding.

The war on drugs is a sick joke especially when they allow prescription drugs to be rammed down our throats. Marijuana should never have been criminalized. I've always thought that prison should be reserved for people who physically hurt other people. Other crimes can be punished in other ways.

I don't have a bouquet of statistics, but I know that marijuana is Vermont's biggest cash crop. I can't speak for all of California, but it's Humboldt County's biggest cash crop too. When I had the garden center, a helicopter came every August to hover over our woodlot, looking. Anyone with commercial greenhouses and a woodlot was at the top of the DEA's A-list. Imagine the wasted resources diverted to looking for weed!

Ah, but pointless, time wasting, money wasting, going in circles, useless, busy work now is our major industry, and soon will be our only industry. Just like the lobbyists who insist that the prison population must continue to grow, because this provides job security for the prison guards, and other employees of the prison industry.

It is not too much of a logical stretch to see how the job security issue is involved with the agribusiness/drug industry. When there are no jobs available that involve producing genuinely useful, non-harmful goods and services, then any pointless, harmful job will do.

Too late now I think, but I signed this last week. I usually sign all Avaaz petitions - this one was about stopping the war on drugs.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co....google.com.au
    Last edited by Julieanne; 06-07-11 at 04:33 AM.

Victory Against the War on Drugs!

The war on drugs has cost billions in tax money, funneled trillions of dollars into organized crime, cost countless lives, and achieved zero results.

Yet, for decades, any debate around ending the war on drugs has been quashed. In official circles, it's "taboo" to talk the about regulation or decriminalisation -- some even lose their jobs for doing so.

Then a group of former presidents formed The Global Commission on Drugs to boldly speak out for reform. They faced one problem -- politicians claimed they couldn't act because there was no public support for change! So Avaaz joined the fight.

We launched the campaign, and in one week, our community proved the politicians wrong, with over 600,000 Avaazers calling for an end to the war on drugs. The ex-presidents and billionaire Richard Branson called a press conference, presented their expert report proposing reform, received the Avaaz petition -- and the response was incredible! Over 2000 media articles were written (AP, IPS, The Guardian), virtually all of them positive!! The taboo was broken...

In a strategy meeting that afternoon, the ex-presidents repeatedly looked to our community to help take the campaign forward, stressing that only grass roots pressure can create the political will for action.

The next day, the Global Commission and Avaaz met with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. In 30 minutes of discussion, the Avaaz petition was presented and repeatedly cited as evidence of public demand for an end to the war. Ban took an important step and decided to create a task force to look at new solutions to the problem of drugs! A real and desperately needed debate has finally begun ...

A Huge Thanks to Everyone

It may be too much to hope that some good will come of this...but hope is alive nonetheless.

Thread Information