Thread: CoQ10 Can Ease Symptoms of Gulf War Syndrome

Default CoQ10 Can Ease Symptoms of Gulf War Syndrome

By Kelly Kennedy, USA TODAY
    June 27, 2011

Anti-oxidant supplements can significantly reduce the symptoms of Gulf War Syndrome, suffered by tens of thousands of veterans, according to research to be presented Monday to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The study by Beatrice Golomb of the medical school at the University of California-San Diego tested the value of giving doses of the coenzyme Q10 to veterans of the Persian Gulf War. "Every single one of them … improved," Golomb said, adding that there was improvement for all 20 symptoms. "For it to have been chance alone is under one in a million."

More than 20 years after the end of the Gulf War, the 1990-91 conflict that liberated Kuwait after an invasion by Iraq, Golomb's study is the first research that offers potential relief for sufferers of Gulf War Syndrome, said Jim Binns, chairman of the federal panel investigating the condition.

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/news/militar...Syndrome_n.htm
    Last edited by Islander; 06-27-11 at 03:55 PM.

Default Re: CoQ10 Can Ease Symptoms of Gulf War Syndrome

I wish they had given the doses of CoQ10 used in this study. I've been researching mitochondrial disease and CoQ10 is the main supplement recommended. They suggest doses of 2 to 15mg/lb for those with mitochondrial disease. I've been taking 4mg/lb for about 3 months without seeing much difference. I simply can't afford to go higher. Also, notice they call this a "medication" and not a supplement.

There is a lot of overlap with Gulf War Syndrome and CFIDS-this makes a lot of sense since we know in CFIDS there is a mitochondrial disfunction and CoQ10 helps just about everyone.
    Thanks for a great article, Mellow!

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong View Post
    I wish they had given the doses of CoQ10 used in this study. I've been researching mitochondrial disease and CoQ10 is the main supplement recommended.
    Patty, are you using the Ubiquinol form of CoQ10? It is far better absorbed by older women with a bit of extra avoirdupois. But you probably knew that.

There is a new Liposomal CoQ10 out-I don't know how good it is, but if it works like the Vitamin C I am going to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Patty, are you using the Ubiquinol form of CoQ10? It is far better absorbed by older women with a bit of extra avoirdupois. But you probably knew that.
    I was using the regular ubiquinone but a friend sent me several bottles of the other. I took 400mg/day of ubiquinol for about 6 weeks and still saw no difference. From what I've been reading about mitochondrial disease (CFIDS doc believes I have that on top of the usual mitochondrial dysfunction that goes with CFIDS) some people require up to 15mg/lb/day before seeing any changes. Unless I go buy a lottery ticket and win, can't do more than what I'm doing.

There is a liposomal CoQ10 out now. It is very expensive because first, it has to be converted to a water soluble form and then made into a liposomal formula. However, if it is truly absorbed as well as the claims state, reaching blood levels equivalent to receiving it IV, then the need to take less would offset some of the cost. I am seriously considering trying this. I also believe, after the difference I saw with liposomal C and liposomal glutathione, that liposomal formulations are not hype!

I also researched buying the water soluble form in a powder and making my own liposomal mixture but the costs came out the same as buying it pre-made.

Thx for replying, I figured that was the case.

Thread Information