Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the safest material for eyeglass frames?

Veteran Member

Default What's the safest material for eyeglass frames?

I need a new pair of glasses, and I'm wondering what material is best for the frames. I think I remember hearing that titanium is good, but I can't find the specific information I'm looking for.

This might sound orthorexic, so to speak, but one of the main things that concerns me about metal frames is that they might be conductors of EMR. Being so close to the head, and therefore the brain, I want to avoid that. I don't have a cellphone, and only rarely use my husband's, which, like him, I use on speakerphone at those times. But still, EMR is almost ubiquitous today.

As I said, I think I remember reading that titanium might be a good choice in this aspect, but I can't find that information now. (I did find out that titanium is a relatively poor conductor of electricity, but I don't know if that mean is logically follows that it is also a poor conductor of EMR. I'm disastrous in physics!) Does anybody have any information on this, and in general, what the best material/s might be for frames?
    Last edited by Pattypans; 06-30-11 at 08:41 PM.

Default Re: What's the safest material for eyeglass frames?

Quote Originally Posted by Pattypans View Post
    I need a new pair of glasses, and I'm wondering what material is best for the frames. I think I remember hearing that titanium is good, but I can't find the specific information I'm looking for.

This might sound orthorexic, so to speak, but one of the main things that concerns me about metal frames is that they might be conductors of EMR. Being so close to the head, and therefore the brain, I want to avoid that. I don't have a cellphone, and only rarely use my husband's, which, like him, I use on speakerphone at those times. But still, EMR is almost ubiquitous today.

As I said, I think I remember reading that titanium might be a good choice in this aspect, but I can't find that information now. Does anybody have any information on this, and in general, what the best material/s might be for frames?
    I'm fairly sure they use titanium in gadgets used to deflect EMF so I think it is fine for frames. I can't find specific scientific information but doing a search of electro-magnetic radiation and titanium, I got a bunch of jewelry made of titanium to protect you from EMF. I've used titanium frames for years until finances last winter forced me to go to plastic.

I can't find anything different-kept coming up with the same information Mellow did.
    I have had titanium for a over a decade-when I was having seizures they didn't get bent.
    I was very sensitive to EMF fields (still am) and can't tell a difference between wearing my titanium frames and not wearing them. A plain metal frame might be a different conductor, though.
    I got a pair of Laura Ashly titanium frames over 12 years ago-I needed new lenses and they made them to fit these frames (the newer ones are so narrow it is hard for bifocals to have enough room) and they look brand new and fit wonderfully. Not bad for hard wear for over a decade

Veteran Member

Thanks, Reesacat and Mellow, for that helpful info. I don't even know how much the titanium ones cost, which means I don't know if we can afford them. Of course, if they last that long, it's sort of an investment in terms of long-term savings. (I like to read a while in bed, and sometimes I end up lying on my side reading, and I think this must put a lot of strain on my frames. If titanium can stand up to that, it would be nice.) Also, I'm wondering whether or not I can trust the 'titanium' frames to really be titanium, and not some cheap alloy or something. One thing for sure, I don't want regular metal frames--seems to me they would just act like a horizontal antenna! So knowing that they're really titanium is important. How often I wish things like this were less complicated! Reminds me of water filters.

The last pair of frames I got I had to choose very quickly, as my only others had just broken (truly beyond repair that time.) Financially, it was a bad time to have to buy anything. On top of that, I was very much not in the mood to shop for anything, and I didn't have time to shop around much. Just went to my neighborhood eyeglass place. (Funny, there are several within very close walking distance of my house, and I was so rushed AND so not in the mood, that I only went to one of them. Very unlike me not to compare prices, etc.) Not surprisingly, they turned out to be a bad buy. I got plastic ones. They bent within a short time (probably from reading in bed.) When I took them back for the guy to reshape them, he did a rotten job and now they're permanently out of shape, and actually bother me. Been that way for many months.

When I get new ones, I'm thinking about keeping the bent ones for horizontal reading so the new ones stay unbent!

I really appreciate your input, and apologize for the boring ramble. Thanks again.

Pattypans, I've fallen asleep plenty of times with my glasses on and it never hurt the frames. I get titanium usually because I'm allergic to the nickel in stainless steel and cheap alloys. I've been using it for years and I've never had a problem. They hold up really well. I got my glasses through the VA last time and they have to ship out so can't use my current frames...hence the plastic. I think, if they claim titanium that that is what you get. However, make sure you are getting titanium and NOT titanium alloy frames. The alloy contains copper and/or nickel. Straight titanium is more expensive. There are also flexible titanium frames and aluminum frames. I'm not really sure what the cost is...I know when I bought mine about 6 years ago, they were about $80 more than regular metal frames. Check around...also if you belong to Sam's Club or Costco, you'll get a better price.

As to your current frames...most places will do simple repairs free in hopes of getting you back later as a customer. Possibly, if you go somewhere else, they can reshape your plastic frames.

Don't know if this serves to help or confuse http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freea...number=4090380
    "... Voltage drops due to structure currents are larger in titanium than in aluminum airplanes. Return currents in structure are distributed widely instead of being relatively concentrated. For representative skin thicknesses, magnetic field shielding effectiveness is rather insignificant even at frequencies in the ADF range. Achieving electromagnetic compatibility in titanium airplanes will require greater than previous use of wire rather than of structure returns for susceptible circuits. To obtain a given magnetic field, isolation between a source and a receptor will require greater reliance on physical separation than on intrinsic magnetic field shielding of the structural material."

I think what they are saying is that for the small amount of titanium in glasses frames the shielding is insignificant. Indeed, to take it one step further, metal frames may indeed act as an antenna for EM waves but I imagine you would have to be fairly close to a high emission source.
    Last edited by LabDoc; 07-04-11 at 01:58 AM.

I know that you weren't asking about the laser surgery; however, I want to offer to you that I know many people that have had it done, and all of them say the same thing: "I love it, but I always have dry eyes now, and I cannot tolerate wind in my face."
    For me, surgery is not an avenue, so I stick to my glasses/ contact lenses. I know, I know, contacts aren't good for you. But, my glasses are really thick, and sometimes they give me headaches.

Veteran Member

Thank you, Labdoc and Sam, for all the tips and info. Still don't know what I'm going to do. Labdoc, I'm not thinking the titanium frames would shield me; I was just hoping they'd not act as antennae. But you reminded me of another question: do regular metal frames conduct EMR anyway? Or am I unnecessarily concerned? I'd actually like to finally get some pretty frames, but it seems the pretty ones all have metal on the part that goes next to your head. (I think they're called the arms, but I'm not sure.)

Patty, a friend who teaches physics told me that in his opinion you are worrying unnecessarily about metal glasses frames and EMR. You would have to be very close to the source of high EMR output, considering the shape of glasses frames and their small mass, EMR conductivity whilst going about your daily business outside would be miniscule.
    I say go on, get those pretty frames

Thank you, LabDoc, for the information

Veteran Member

Yes, thank you, Labdoc. That was awfully nice of you to ask your friend for me! I still haven't decided what to do yet, but I'll post here when I do, since you've all been so supportive and helpful!

Don't forget to look fabulous, Pattypans!::::fluffs feather boa, adjusts tiara::::

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    Don't forget to look fabulous, Pattypans!::::fluffs feather boa, adjusts tiara::::
    Oooh, see if I ever leave YOU in charge for a day again! All you can think about is what you get to wear when you play Admin! Do you see me in a jewel-studded crown? Well, do you? What'll it be next — fishnet stockings and spike heels? I think for the good of all concerned, I'd better stay right close to home!

I really want to have the picture of Reesacat in feather boa, tiara, fishnet stockings, and spike heels! Yes we do!

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    I really want to have the picture of Reesacat in feather boa, tiara, fishnet stockings, and spike heels! Yes we do!
    I second it and shout "Hooray!" :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information