Thread: Antidepressants Being Prescribed Needlessly

Default Antidepressants Being Prescribed Needlessly

David W. Freeman
    August 5, 2011

Not depressed? That doesn't mean your doctor won't hand you a prescription for antidepressants.

More and more doctors are prescribing the drugs for patients who aren't suffering from depression or any other mental illness, according to a provocative new study.

"We've seen a marked increase in antidepressant use among individuals with no psychiatric diagnosis," study author Dr. Ramin Mojtabai, an associate professor at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, said in a written statement. "Between 1996 and 2007, the number of visits where individuals were prescribed antidepressants with no psychiatric diagnoses increased from 59.5 percent to 72.7 percent."

The study, which involved an analysis of medical records for 230,000 patient visits, involved only non-psychiatrists - who may be less knowledgeable about just which conditions respond to antidepressants and which don't, Dr. Mojtabai told CBS News. It was published in the August 2011 issue of Health Affairs.

In addition to major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, other emotional problems, antidepressants known to be effective for certain kinds of pain and other physical complaints. But Dr. Mojtabai said there's scant evidence that antidepressants offer any relief from the vague complaints for which some non-psychiatrists prescribe them, including stress, relationship problems, low self-esteem, and ordinary ache and pains.

The biggest outrage? Some patients were prescribed antidepressants even when the medical record indicated no reason.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...-10391704.html
    Last edited by Islander; 08-05-11 at 04:12 PM.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Default Re: Antidepressants Being Prescribed Needlessly

Many many years ago, long before i began antidepressants (probably the doctor's reaction to CFIDS rather than a real need for them), i was given a "sleeping aid." Learned later that it was an antidepressant with the side effect to make you sleepy. Hmm.

I've said before: I had a difficult home life and learning to deal with that was a challenge. But i do believe my major problem was CFIDS/ME and the depression only happened after years of attempting to get better and hearing docs say, "Oh, you're just depressed." I did take their pills (which almost certainly made the CFIDS/ME worse), but was able to stop them once i took chemicals, toxins, and junk food out of my life. I still have the CFIDS/ME (and it is worse), but i am not depressed. The psychologist i still work with confirms this, so it is not wishful thinking.

Thread Information