Thread: Gluten Sensitivity vs Celiac Disease

Default Gluten Sensitivity vs Celiac Disease

August 6, 2011 Dr. Osborne – AKA The Gluten Free Warrior
    The battle for legitimate recognition of gluten sensitivity is being fought and won! Consider the following statements…

Recent studies are showing the gluten sensitivity may be much more common than previously thought. It may, in fact, be a separate disease entity that involves different organs and different mechanisms than celiac disease. While there is no doubt that the condition exists, the lack of definite criteria for a diagnosis has resulted in a skeptical attitude on the part of many doctors.He goes on to say: The acceptance of gluten sensitivity as a valid condition has evolved.– Dr. Peter Green – Director of The Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University

60-70% of those who think they have celiac disease and seek help from his research center are actually gluten sensitive – they do not have celiac disease.
    Read more: http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/glu...fic-consensus/

Default Re: Gluten Sensitivity vs Celiac Disease

"60-70% of those who think they have celiac disease and seek help from his research center are actually gluten sensitive – they do not have celiac disease."

Reassuring to think sensitivity rather than damaging disease when undiagnosed. I have a child who has wheat allergy, however he eats gluten free. Do you think that's wise for a child? I'll have to check out your gf recipe page.

Quote Originally Posted by Good-day View Post
    "60-70% of those who think they have celiac disease and seek help from his research center are actually gluten sensitive – they do not have celiac disease."

Reassuring to think sensitivity rather than damaging disease when undiagnosed. I have a child who has wheat allergy, however he eats gluten free. Do you think that's wise for a child? I'll have to check out your gf recipe page.
    Good-day, all that means is that there is a difference between gluten sensitivity and celiac disease. However, gluten sensitivity is also extremely damaging to the body, not just the gut but the brain and entire body.

Quote Originally Posted by Good-day View Post
    I have a child who has wheat allergy, however he eats gluten free. Do you think that's wise for a child? I'll have to check out your gf recipe page.
    Not only wise, it's a must if he is gluten-sensitive. Keep in mind: not only are grains a very recent addition to our diet (the last 10,000 years, vs. 8 million years of primate evolution), meaning our body has not had time to adapt well to utilizing this "food," but recent wheat hybrids have tripled the gluten content over the original domesticated varieties. That high gluten content helps to explain why so many people are now becoming gluten-sensitive. It was hardly an issue a generation ago.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

The only way you can avoid wheat with all the food processing going on is to do a gluten free diet. It is wise and it protects your child.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

I'm glad the writer feels this is being better recognized. However, i recently caught a segment (i think on the news?) with a doc who was discussing Celiac disease and touched on gluten sensitivity, but his feeling is that most folks are not gluten sensitive and are deluding themselves, somehow. And he stated, "There is no benefit for people who are not Celiac or gluten sensitive to eating a gluten free diet. They are missing too many nutrients from good whole grain by limiting this part of their diet."

Typical, standard BS. I do understand liking bread and even went thru a period (many years ago) on Weight Watchers where i felt, for my body, i was getting too many veggies and not enough bread because i was having a hard time digesting the food and more bread helped. But just like sugar, breads can become addictive. They certainly are quickly turned to sugar and promote weight gain as well as a plethora of other health issues.

I think most of the population would benefit from a very low grain diet, based on all that i've been reading the past 6 years or so.

I recently decided to go gluten free, cheated and had stomach pain/bloating or like to think could be my waning cycle - new to me also! To think I used to buy wheat berries from a co-op and grind for flour. Thanks for the info.

Thread Information