Thread: Tips for Handling Vision Problems Common in CFIDS

Default Tips for Handling Vision Problems Common in CFIDS

Visual problems common in CFS don't usually get much attention, but they were the topic of discussion for several days on our Facebook page in April 2010. At the bottom are of the page are two articles from the Chronicle archives about visual disturbances that many people with CFS experience (from the FB post):
    http://www.cfids.org/cfidslink/2010/050302.asp

Compiled from Comments Submitted by our Facebook Fans
    April 2010

TV and Computer Tips
    When lights start flashing, etc., on the screen, I close my eyes, turn my head to the side and put a magazine or pillow in front of my eyes.

Vision problems are common in CFS, but are often overlooked. We posted articles by two experts describing visual disturbances and asked Facebook fans to share their tips. Links to the visual dysfunction article are at the bottom of this page.

Go into the TV “menu” and lower the “brightness” setting on the screen to a level you can better tolerate. It helps a LOT if you're watching TV in the dark (as I always am since lights are my arch-nemesis!). This also works with computer screens to keep the bright glare from being so painful.

I got some good tips for making computer viewing less straining: http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/irritated.htm

Read more: http://www.cfids.org/cfidslink/2010/050302.asp

I'd definitely recommend reading the articles listed at the bottom
    Last edited by Reesacat; 08-10-11 at 02:47 PM.

Default Re: Tips for Handling Vision Problems Common in CFIDS

I really found a lot of this fascinating because for 2 years, I've been complaining to multiple ophthalmologists about some of these problems. For example, slowness and/or difficulty focusing near to far or far to near. I've been telling them that even if vision is 20/20, it's not functional because it takes so long to focus. For example, I cannot read a street sign unless I'm stopped. Even the huge signs on the interstate are often gone before I can focus on them. Depth perception is so bad, especially at night that I will hold up traffic to cross an intersection until nothing is visible because I can't tell how close a vehicle really is. I've adapted pretty well to most of the problems (and cataract surgery did NOT fix these) and still feel I'm a very safe driver even if everyone around me hates me because I don't speed, tailgate etc, lol.

Thank you Mellow — I thought the two articles at the bottom were so good I posted them.
    For those of us with CFIDS one thing they taught us early on was to take a piece of paper and use it to block out text except for the line you were reading. It cuts down on the visual overload.
    Hard to do with the computer, but I find enlarging the text helps cut down the amount of stuff my eyes have to sort through.

Thanks for posting those Reesacat

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    Hard to do with the computer, but I find enlarging the text helps cut down the amount of stuff my eyes have to sort through.
    Actually, I find that I can do this on the screen, by scrolling slowly with the mouse thingy. The parts of text that I have read are kept off the screen, and only the line I currently am reading, along with all text below it, will appear on the screen. Does this make any sense? Either the mouse scroll button or the up and down arrows will work for this, depending upon my mood at the moment.

I do do that, Maurya. It does help on days I can focus.
    But on dizzy days rolling the screen around makes it worse. The problem with CFIDS is the symptoms come and go and change all the time. Trying to find a solution to a problem that keeps shifting drives us NUTZ!

Has anyone tried Flux on their computer? It helps ease me into bedtime. http://stereopsis.com/flux/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Cool — I didn't know it existed!

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Has anyone tried Flux on their computer? It helps ease me into bedtime. http://stereopsis.com/flux/
    Ewwwww, trying it and this orangy yellow HURTS!!! Going to remove it right now :( Well, just saw where you can change setting...maybe I'll play with it a bit before removing. So far, not impressed.

I like Flux so far. My screen is probably different and my eyes are different, also I think.

I did bring the cursor toward the middle last night and that seemed better. I think, if I could figure out how to turn down the brightness on my monitor that it wouldn't be so bad. Still unsure of it but will use it for a bit. I just wish we could select colors.

Last night I noticed no FLUX. Program wouldn't open. So, uninstalled and when I tried to re-install, all I get is error messages. It will not install on my computer. I've made no changes, done nothing different since the other night when it did work. I'm thoroughly confused...whatever the problem is is beyond my paltry computer knowledge. Disappointed because when I found the right setting, it was growing on me.

Very strangely, after typing this, decided to try again and this time it installed. Go figure

I like it because it's the color of sunset, it's subdued, and it reminds me that it's already past my bedtime! (I didn't know you could adjust the color but I'm happy with it right out of the box).

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I like it because it's the color of sunset, it's subdued, and it reminds me that it's already past my bedtime! (I didn't know you could adjust the color but I'm happy with it right out of the box).
    If you want to play with it, click the icon on your task bar, then click change settings. The color doesn't change, the intensity does.

Thanks!

Thread Information