Thread: FDA staff seek new warning on Baxter anesthetic

Default FDA staff seek new warning on Baxter anesthetic

Fri Mar 21, 2008

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. regulatory staff have recommended updating the prescribing instructions for a Baxter International anesthesia drug after three reports of cardiac arrest in children, documents released on Friday said.
    Food and Drug Administration staff said it was possible the cases were associated with the Baxter drug Suprane. But they also said each of the patients was being treated with other drugs that may cause cardiac arrest.
    The label for Suprane, known generically as desflurane, already carries warnings about other cardiac problems including heart attacks, irregular heart beats and unstable blood pressure.
    "The contributory role of desflurane could not be excluded" in the three reports of cardiac arrest in children, FDA staff wrote in a summary prepared for an outside advisory panel.
    "However, the simultaneous use of concomitant medications during anesthesia confounded the causality assessment of these cases," the agency reviewers said.
    All three of the patients recovered with treatment.
    The FDA reviewers said Suprane's label "should be revised to include cardiac arrest."
    Baxter spokeswoman Erin Gardiner said the company would review the FDA staff analysis.
    "Patient safety is our top priority and we will accordingly evaluate the information in FDA's document with our clinical data," Gardiner said in an e-mail.
    An FDA advisory panel meets Tuesday to hear reports about the safety of Suprane and other drugs used in children.
    (Reporting by Lisa Richwine; Editing by Leslie Adler and bill Trott)

###
    http://tinyurl.com/229j3c

Veteran Member

Default Re: FDA staff seek new warning on Baxter anesthetic

Did these children survive the cardiac arrests? I would have liked that information. Why is Reuters so crap these days?

Article says, " All three of the patients recovered with treatment."

You're making progress, GammaGirl. Have another B-12.

Veteran Member

Ah - dear me, my editing skills need work! What I don't get is this drive for new drugs when the old ones were fine. Desflurane offers no benefits over halothane and its adverse effects much less well known. Halothane has been used since the 1950s and its effects well documented. Oh silly me - it's so they can charge more.

Thread Information