Thread: Guidelines for Avoiding Gluten (Unsafe Ingredients for Gluten Sensitivity)

Default Guidelines for Avoiding Gluten (Unsafe Ingredients for Gluten Sensitivity)

November 2, 2011
    Dr. Peter Osborne

TRUE Gluten Free Diet Guidelines – Avoid All of These…
    Wheat
    Barley (malt)
    Rye
    Oats
    Sorghum*
    Millet*
    Teff*
    Triticale
    Spelt*
    Durum (semolina)
    Einkorn
    Emmer
    Corn (maize)* (for a list of hidden corn ingredients: http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/glu...d-ingredients/
    Rice (does not include wild rice varieties but does include brown rice)*
    Groat
    Graham
    Amaranth***
    Buckwheat***
    Quinoa***
    *These grains are classically considered gluten free, but are not recommended on a TRUE gluten free diet.
    *** These items are technically not grains, but are at high risk for cross contamination and not recommended on a TRUE gluten free diet unless verification can be obtained. These pseudo cereals are also very high in glutamic acid and should be discouraged as substitutes for patients with neurological symptoms.

For a list of other foods and food additives and hidden sources, read the rest of the article at:
    http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/glu...n-sensitivity/

Default Re: Guidelines for Avoiding Gluten (Unsafe Ingredients for Gluten Sensitivity)

I just came to post this, lol. Wonder how you get verification about a product, like quinoa?

Default Re: Guidelines for Avoiding Gluten (Unsafe Ingredients for Gluten Sensitivity)

Maybe the quiona package is labeled like gluten-free oats with certification it has been processed away from grains containing gluten?

Here's a weird one: if I have really expensive fancy-shmancy- seven-dollar-a-loaf- bread from Whole Foods, my kidneys hurt the next day.
    If I have cheap, 99 cent white bread from Wal-Mart, no issues whatsoever.

WT Heck???

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

I saw a brief segment on the news last night that folks with "gluten allergy" have to be careful about make up as well. They mentioned foundation but the most of the focus was on lipstick.

I mention this only because i had to stop using lipstick 5+ years ago because my lips would crack and get dry and would not heal as long as i was using lipstick.

It might not be related, but it is possible.

Samurai, I don't know the answer but it's another example of why it's so hard to go organic on a tight budget. I noted the exact same thing when I shopped at Hannaford today: cheap house brand white bread, 99¢. I needed fresh green peppers: $1.29/lb. Organic? $3.99/lb. Since I was cooking mainly for people who are not as obsessive as I (and because I'm on a tight budget), I bought the conventional. Others will eat most of it anyway. I would normally have used my own home-grown, but I had a pepper crop failure this year.

I was chatting with a friend this afternoon who told me about someone who stopped by and had a cup of tea. My friend had fresh home-grown carrots, tops & all, on the counter. The visitor looked at them and said, "Oh, I couldn't do that!" I asked, did she mean she couldn't garden? No, said my friend, she meant she couldn't cope with whole fresh carrots.

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather restraints in the morning.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information