Thread: Survey - Impact food allergy on quality of life

Allergic Student

Default Survey - Impact food allergy on quality of life

Hi,

I am a student in my final year at high school and have allergies myself. I am doing my personal project this year, and I am doing it on the topic: the influence a food allergy has on the quality of life.

If you have allergies I would really appreciate any help by filling in this survey. Your answers to this questionnaire will help me in finishing my project and research.I will use your answers only for my project, and this shall only be seen by me and my assessor.

Link to survey: https://www.kwiksurveys.com/?s=OHOOGM_28ab6ceb

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by Islander; 11-10-11 at 10:36 AM.

Default Re: Survey - Impact food allergy on quality of life

Done! Best wishes for success for your project

Allergic student, Impressive survey. I may have skewed it a bit though. I'm allergic (or was) sensitive to MSG in high school. Somehow I'm now mostly over it. Had I taken this survey back then I would have very different answers. Back then I liked a lot of processed foods like frozen eggrolls you heat up in the oven. Unfortunately all that stuff had MSG and it would make me break out in giant hives all over. Also my lips would swell several times their normal size and my eyes would swell shut. Once the swelling went down and the hives resolved, I'd be left exhausted and in pain where ever the hives had been. My mother somehow found a doc who told me it had to be MSG and he taught me how to read labels. He put me on an all natural diet for a month. It took awhile just to figure out how to eat an all natural diet, but somehow following it made the reactions go away and now years later those types of foods have long lost their appeal.
    Now days I also have issues with soy, but not all forms. Edamame for instance will make me light headed, and give me an itchy tongue and throat. Other forms like soy sauce have no effect. Anyway it's a bit mute because reading labels and avoiding foods with labels in general has been a way of life for me since my MSG experience.
    Now I'm grateful for the food problems I've had. Without them I could still be eating the typical SAD diet like most people. I feel for those that have life threatening reactions to foods (my MSG reactions were pretty severe and I was carrying around a syringe with epinephrine just in case I went into anaphylaxis). I do understand eating can be like Russian roulette. But, if it also helps others eat a better diet and to read/avoid labels, a positive can come out of it.
    Last edited by bmc65; 11-10-11 at 10:03 PM.

Great survey. Good luck with it

Thread Information