Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 ways to maintain and even improve your bone health

Default Re: 10 ways to maintain and even improve your bone health

Julieanne, I have a similar recipe and I use 2 Tablespoons of raw organic apple cider vinegar so I think T= Tablespoon.

Bormal, I agree with Julieanne that this might be one of the times you need the time to break down the bones to release the nutrients. I use a crockpot and it really isn't a lot of work since I don't have to monitor the stove. Hope you have great bone broth success!

Quote Originally Posted by bormal View Post
    Has anyone tried to make bone broth in a pressure cooker? I just don't have the hours available to make this otherwise...
    TIA,
    Laura
    Not sure how helpful this may be for you, but as a frame of reference, I pressure cook nutrient rich, very tough, organ meat, chicken gizzards for about a half hour at full heat. And the resultant broth is superb, nothing needs to be added, just drink it straight and hot. And the gizzards are dipped in shrimp sauce or mustard, and my dog loves them too. And priced very reasonable.

But anyway, with that said, I would venture to guess that the bones could be pressure cooked in about one hour, perhaps, and with plenty adequate water. Trial and error will probably be needed, but really nothing to lose, as you can resume pressure cooking for, say, another half hour if the first hour proved inadequate. But as always, be careful, those pressure cookers can be very dangerous.
    Last edited by grulla; 04-13-15 at 06:17 PM.

Did I miss magnesium and vitamin K2 in the article?
    mitakuye oyasin na akita mani yo!

Traditionally, T meant tablespoon and tsp was teaspoon, at least in the U.S. These days there seems to be no consistency among anybody anywhere. I still type what I grew up with all my life.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Stephen, I'm surprised they were omitted since they are important co-factors.

I saw some talk of chicken feet throughout the thread. My health store has them labeled as free range, and they are more expensive than the cooped up ones at the regular supermarket. You would think that the free range feet would be cheaper, since they are more worn out...

Ok, on a more serious note, I must tell you all about our most recent stock investment. We've been testing out duck as a broth, and we love the resulting dividends. The roasted duck doesn't yield as much meat as a chicken, but the duck bones pack huge returns in the form of a healthy, tasty, fat saturated, collagen rich broth. We use the same cooking strategy for the duck as we do for everything else. I saw numbers like 12 and 24 hours mentioned for cooking time. About three days at 180dF - 190dF is amount of time for which E and me cook our broths. Duck broth is our new commodity in our health portfolio.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

"You would think that the free range feet would be cheaper, since they are more worn out..." Ha ha! Good thinking!

Thanks all for the responses to my question. Reesacat, you make this in a crockpot? Do you have a special crockpot or would you just do it on high? I ask as I thought broth in a crockpot was too pale and flavorless. At least that was the way my first crockpot endeavor went...although I am admittedly not all that knowledgeable about this stuff.
    Thanks again,
    Laura

bormal, maybe there wasn't enough meat on the bones? I save up all my meat scraps and trimmings in the freezer until I am ready to make stock. Roasting beforehand gives a lot more flavour, especially the fatty bits. You can skim the fat off the top when it's cold (but you probably already knew that!)

And keep it on low. You need the long, slow cooking to extract all the minerals - and the flavour of course.

I use a regular crockpot.
    I turn the crockpot on high until it is good and boiling and then down to low. You want a good long simmer to extract the nutrients. I get a very gelationous broth since I also save chicken skin. Hope that helps!

Hi All- sorry to keep belaboring this but I really would like to make this stuff for both me and my collies. I tried making this in my crock pot for 24 hours- starting it on high and then switching to the low heat as suggested and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happened to the bones. They were still in the same shape as when I put them in when I took them out. I ended up with good broth, but not gelatinous at all. I was afraid to leave it cooking too long for fear that it might actually go bad in the pot.

When I tried this on the stove top in the winter, I did it in my 6 quart enameled cast iron dutch oven and the bones turned into a concrete like mess at the bottom after a couple of days and it was really hard to remove. Both times I followed this recipe exactly. Thanks again in advance for any help you can give me on this.
    Laura

I am so sorry — I don't know what the problem is.

I do bone broth in a big kettle on the stove top or the wood-burning stove in winter. I cover it, bring it to a boil, skim off the scum, cover it again and reduce it to simmer. I leave it at the simmering level for 48 hours. Always comes out just right. I'm thinking that slow cookers may have different levels in their temperature settings; I've owned several and have never seen a rolling boil on the high setting. So I'm thinking, Bormal, that you might try leaving it on high for the entire time... or maybe check it after the first 24 hours and see whether you're getting the results you expect. Just my wild ass guess!
    Last edited by Islander; 07-05-15 at 07:33 PM.

This is not a solution, but just an idea. I have found that the amount of vinegar suggested by most bone broth recipes is too little for a given quantity of liquid. Enough vinegar, along with the proper temperature, is essential for adequate gelatin formation.

Hello Julieanne - I am still here. T means tablespoon and lower case t means teaspoon!

All the best...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information