Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cannot eat these

Default cannot eat these

I have unusual allergies. I cannot eat raw tomatoes or avocados. A raw cherry tomato could actually kill me. It's a bummer as I really enjoy growing them, I love the smell of the plants. My wife was doubtful about my allergy to avocados. Until the night we were at a conference. We ate at a Mexican restaurant. I had tostados. As I swallowed my first bite I realized that they had put guacamole under the beans and lettuce even though I had requested no avocado. By midnight my stomach looked like I was nine month's pregnant. I was in agony. My wife finally realized I was serious about my allergy to them. No, I did not sue them. There's too much of that going on in this country. Now, when I go into restaurants (a very rare occurrence) I come right and tell them no tomatoes or avocados. If you put them in my food you will kill me. That gets their attention. Tok'sha.

Read more: http://www.healthy-eating-politics.c...s-in-food.html
    Last edited by Islander; 12-14-11 at 12:04 PM.

Default Re: cannot eat these

Hi Stephen. I feel for you not being able to eat tomatoes or avocadoes! What a shame! I hope there are a lot of other yummy foods you can enjoy.

That is a good link to toxins in food — thank you StephenX.
    I have very bad gluten, soy, dairy, corn and MSG sensitivities so I can understand your severe reactions to tomatoes and avocados.

What does the word 'Tok'sha' mean? I have enjoyed the phrase 'Akita mani yo' (Observe everything as you walk your path) if I have the translation correct.

Reesacat,

Tok'sha means "later" As in Tok'sha mita kola (later, my friend) You have got Akita mani yo right; but it can also denote a philosophy of a lifetime of gaining knowledge and wisdom. Never stop learning. Those "sneaky" Lakota often have a higher meaning to phrases. Hoka hey is often misconstrued as "it's a good day to die"; but no day is a good day to die. It means "let's go!" or let us proceed with great enthusiasm. Could be used as a war cry. If you've ever seen the movie Hildago, (if not you should) As Viggo and his horse get ready for the sprint to the finish line. He reaches down and whispers in the horse's ear "hoka hey; and off they go with great enthusiasm. Hoka hey, mita kola washte (washte means good). In Lakota the adjective follows its noun. Akita mani yo!

Alas no tomatoes or avocado. But I love organic peanut butter, my snack of choice; and I feel sorry for people with peanut allergies

@StephenX

::::::folds hands, respectfully bows head::::::
    Thank you.
    Hoka hey, mita kola washte!

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    @StephenX

::::::folds hands, respectfully bows head::::::
    Thank you.
    Hoka hey, mita kola washte!
    Lila washte. Reesacat, good Lakota. Gungwagaya (I am proud)

I enjoy the language too! Is organic peanut butter considered non-toxic?

How do you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Good-day View Post
    I enjoy the language too! Is organic peanut butter considered non-toxic?
    For someone with peanut allergies no peanut is non-toxic. Although I am a tomato and avocado sissy, I can eat peanuts all day. Although it is expensive, I eat nothing but organic. Because I am getting a rep for Lakota, I am getting a new dictionary and some CD's. It may be time to go to the Black Hills again. Akita mani yo! I know this is off the topic of health: but if any of you wants to learn about Lakota philosophy, the book "The Lakota Way" by Marshall is wonderful. I often give a copy to my favorite students. Their feed back is always "wow!" Hoka hey!

StephenX, what subject(s) do you teach?

There is a mold toxin on peanuts, which may include organic, called aflatoxin.
    It has been linked to cancer and other health problems.
    You can get aflatoxin-free peanuts.

According to Swaze Foster at Fit on Raw there are 2 types of peanuts that are aflatoxin free:
    http://www.fitonraw.com/2011/06/raw-...void-or-enjoy/

"There are two types of peanuts that are free of aflatoxin: Jungle peanuts and Valencia peanuts. Jungle peanuts are completely free of the stuff, while Valencia peanuts are grown in arid climates resistant to mold.
    I’ve tried Jungle and Valencia peanuts and they are both seriously delicious. Next to pistachios, peanuts are my favorite (non) nut!"

Definitely not a peanut fan, but Thai and African cuisine often call for peanuts and I'm good with that. I get house brand jarred dry roasted peanuts, not organic but no other ingredients except — peanuts!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I cannot tolerate peanuts because of aflatoxin, not because of peanuts themselves. Like most of my sensitivities, it is like playing Russian Roulette so I don't even try. I have reacted to Valencia peanut butter. Although, like Reesacat said, Valencia peanuts tend to be safe, if they have been stored for long periods of time or if they get damp while being stored, then they can contain aflatoxin. There are limits set but many many people react at well below the limits plus, very very little is actually tested. Aflatoxin may be the cause of people having reactions to walnuts, grains and legumes also. Jungle peanuts are amazingly tasty and amazingly expensive. I usually substitute cashews for peanuts. Although not organic, I do seem to tolerate cashews. YAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information