Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study to reveal causes of chronic fatigue syndrome

Default Study to reveal causes of chronic fatigue syndrome

21/12/2011
    HealthCanal.com

Scientists at the University of Liverpool are the first to use a new laboratory technique that could reveal the causes of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).

CFS is a severely debilitating illness, characterised by prolonged fatigue that can be triggered by minimal activity. Fatigue is accompanied by symptoms that may include painful muscles and joints, disordered sleep patterns, gastric problems and cognitive impairment.

The causes of the condition are unknown, but some studies have suggested that a defect in the energy producing components of muscle cells, called mitochondria, could be responsible. Other studies, however, have not been able to demonstrate this defect. It is thought that limitations in the methods used to determine mitochondrial function in human muscle fibres could be the reason why the causes of CFS have been difficult to explore.

Read More: http://www.healthcanal.com/disorders...-syndrome.html

Default Re: Study to reveal causes of chronic fatigue syndrome

This is good news — any tests they can come up with that show the mitochondrial dysfunction will help stop the "it's all in your head, you are not really sick" abuse patients suffer from the medical and legal community.

Anyone suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome may want to look into Acetyl-L-Carnitine. Ever since I began using just one 150 mg capsule before my workouts, I have experienced tremendous energy, both during and hours subsequent to working out!!
    Based on my research, acetyl-L Carnitine helps the mitochondria (each cell's energy-producing factory) to transport fatty acids into the mitochondria, where they are burned to produce energy. It has also been recommended, but I have not personally tried this, that combining acety l carnitine and R-Lipoic Acid provides an even greater boosts to the cells.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 10-10-12 at 08:03 PM.

I did start on Acetyl-L-Carnitine thanks to Aaltrude and your sharing your experience, Mr. Wizard.
    I am doing well on 500 mg a day (lower dose than the 1500-2000 mg recommended at some CFIDS websites). Thank you for sharing that it works well at a lower dose — I have some heart weakness from the CFIDS and can't overdo stimulating supplements as I get rapid heart beat.

Reesacat--Glad to hear you started with ALC. It has never failed to give me an energy boosts. I've experimented with taking it at different times of the day, and even missing taking it before some workouts. In every case, I've reaped immediate benefits in terms of almost instantaneous energy--and all at 150 mg. I lean more toward taking lower doses of supplements---I mean why take more of anything than you have to...or just because someone else recommends a higher dosage. I believe we are all individuals and need to experiment to see what works best for you. Again, I firmly believe that anyone suffering from lack of energy--either occasionally or chronically--should give ALC a try.

I took ACL for a few months, then let it go. After info was posted here, I decided to go back on it. I also have to go with lower dose (taking 500/day) because I get palpitations and tachycardia. I wonder, if lower strength and taking more often would mitigate the heart stuff?

I am taking 588 mg per day of ALCAR (that is the capsule size and the abbreviation I have noticed is usually used for Acetyl L Carnitine). Once again due to my intolerances, I started with very minute amounts and worked up. By the time I was taking half a capsule per day, I noticed that the ulna nerve compression symptoms I had been getting while sleeping had improved significantly. Now that I am taking a full capsule, there is even more improvement. Eventually I plan to try taking two capsules per day.

With the reactions I was getting to foods, supplements etc that I took, I was also getting heart palpitations however I have now noticed that rarely happens now. In fact the only time it has happened recently was a few days ago and even then it was relatively mild and only lasted a short time. That was caused by a probiotic I decided to try taking. I took it cold so to speak, no build up - just took one whole capsule the first time I tried it. I did not get away with it as I was hoping though I am sure the reaction was a lot less than it would have been prior to taking the supplements I am now taking. I am sure the reaction was due to the vege cap though rather than the contents.
    Does anyone know if it would still be effective if I took the probiotic by mixing the contents with food or water and taking it that way?

The supplements I am taking that I consider are most likely to have caused the reduction in palpitations when I do react are: RNA, CoQ 10, Taurine and Magnesium Malate.
    Last edited by Aaltrude; 12-22-11 at 04:37 PM.

People are so different in the ways we respond to various foods and supplements. Since I have been taking ALCAR at the rate of about 2000 mg a day, along with R-ALA and benfotiamine, I have found that many symptoms of "old age" have dissipated. Good news for me, although I do understand that 500 mg might be plenty for many other people. Sort of wish I were one of those, who can respond favorably to the lower amounts.

Aaltrude, is the capsule/delivery system
    labeled "Enteric Coated" or something like that?

It says " Enteric coated to protect against stomach acid. The ability to enteric coat live bacteria is yet another advance in the supplementation of probiotic stains for health".

When I was doing medications in the hospital we were not alowed to open enteric coated capsules as it would screw up the delivery system. Don't know about probiotics -- you might lose most of the dose......but hopfully some would get in.

Reesacat, what would you begin to work on for energy; boosting overall health? Weight loss/diet, detox, supplements? I'd go to a health/life coach if I had the money, just for discussion and accountability!
    I also would like to know recomendations for a good probiotic. Sorry for your fatigue, but I see strong spirits - thank you.

The thing I would recommend would be Dr. Terry Wahls' protocol (going grain, dairy, soy and chemical/preservative free organic diet with 9 cups vegetables and fruits a day minimum).
    It has changed my life. I can actually drive a bit now and can go to the grocery store once a week and change cat litter — things I couldn't do just a couple of years ago.
    You can find more here:

http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...r.+terry+wahls

Terry Wahls, M.D.
    Saturday, January 14, 2012

One way to adopt the Wahls Dietâ„¢ is to use a phased approach:

Phase 1 = Eating 9 cups of non-starchy vegetables and berries each day (greens, sulfur, color).

Phase 2 = Going gluten free, dairy free and soy free to reduce the risk of food allergies.

Phase 3 = Going Paleo by reducing/eliminating grains, legumes and potatoes.

Phase 4 = Getting evaluated for potential food allergies, toxic load issues and more personalized nutritional needs by a practitioner of functional medicine. The Institute for Functional Medicine can help you find a provider in your area.

Many ask if a vegetarian diet that stresses grain and legumes, such as what is advocated in the China Study, is healthy or harmful. Certainly, a plant-based diet that is low in saturated fat is superior to the standard American diet. But my interpretation of the science is that a Paleo diet is likely superior.

To read the rest of the article go to:
    http://www.terrywahls.com/_blog/Terr...Diet%E2%84%A2/

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post

The thread on probiotics didn't list Lactobacillus reuteri which Greenmedinfo.com says counteracts side effects produced by VB12 deficiency. i wonder if there's a greater benefit ti taking it with reuteri? I do take B12, but know probiotics aren't all the same and want to take a good one for awhile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information