Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overdiagnosed

Default Overdiagnosed

This looks like it could be an interesting book. It is being released tomorrow.
    http://www.amazon.com/Overdiagnosed-...5529164&sr=1-1

Default Re: Overdiagnosed

That does look interesting! Hopefully library will have it in a few months.
    Thank you Aaltrude

Moved this thread to Member Recommendations.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I despise going to doctors' offices. They always try to foist drugs on me. Case in point, when I first go in they take my BP immediately. As I am anxious just by being there, my BP is around 130/80. The first thing they want to do is put me on a beta blocker or put me on some anti-anxiety drug. Make them take your BP at the end of the visit. Then my BP is 110/65 (just what it is when I take it at home). They always act a little disappointed at this, as they have lost an opportunity to medicate me....ha! My latest doctor (a pretty good guy) now asks me questions about natural remedies and supplements. Akita mani yo!

Good strategy, Stephen X. I also tell patients to bring in their wrist blood pressure cuffs that have a log of readings on it show what a person's blood pressure actually is, not what you get in the doctor's office.

Definitely looks like it might be a worthwhile read. Thanks Aaltrude! @StephenX: You are so lucky to have a doc that asks you about supplements etc and doesn't throw your list in the trash in front of you, unread! LOL

So, I'm not the only one who feels this way. I once had a dr tell me to get counseling, ordered no labs, but took my co-pay! Wouldn't have been a good time to retake bp - lol I do appreciate this forum!

I just got this from my library, starting to read it. Right away he has a list of minor dysfunctions he experiences and then gives the "diagnosis" he would receive and tests he would be administered for them, should he decide to pursue them.
    Immediately this little excercise is fascinating........

Particularly fascinating to me since my friend just spent 3 days in the hospital for acute pancreatitis, caused by a med her gastro prescribed. She had a few attacks before the one that was bad enough to send her to the ER. She is already on a $250/month med for "auto-immune hepatitis" diagnosed because her liver blood tests were a little high. Other tests too I think, but I don't know what they are (she doesn't ask for either result print outs nor does she remember stuff like that). Now when this idiot put her on the second med he was hoping to wean her off the very expensive Rx. He told her NOT to read the side effects for the new medicine, and she DIDN'T. I simply do not understand that kind of non-thinking.

Agree, Solly. I never leave the doctor's office w/o hard copies of test results, and what doesn't show up on a test, I make a note of. Yesterday's 90-day diabetes/thyroid visit:
    TSH: little low, gonna do complete thyroid panel for next 90-day review.
    BP: 126/70
    A1c: 5.2, down from 5.4

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Quote Originally Posted by sollyb View Post
    He told her NOT to read the side effects for the new medicine, and she DIDN'T. I simply do not understand that kind of non-thinking.
    When i used to use meds regularly, i would make them give me the insert (not the page they print out for the patient, but the actual insert that contains all the info that is in the PDR). Then i would NOT read it until i had been on the med for several days.

My reasoning was that i was always afraid of being a hypochondriac and "talking myself into" having side effects. I felt confident that if i waited until i had side effects, i wouldn't have been psychologically influenced, and then i could read the info a doctor would have to "verify" what i was feeling was indeed due to the med. (I never had a doctor tell me not to read the info.)

This idea makes sense from a certain point of view. However, that point of view was that i did not trust my body, my feelings, my experience. I put all my trust in a doctor who was telling me, "Your problem is X. To solve that, you will take medicine M, and you will be better." Honestly, i often told myself, "Well the doctor tells me that even tho i'm experiencing this pain, i'm not REALLY in pain. It is psychological. I'd better work on my thoughts/feelings so that this pain i feel but don't really have will go away."

I had a brain (in those days) but i didn't trust it or my own logic. I totally bought into the idea that a doctor is the expert and always knows what he is doing. I don't live there any more. My goal is to never take another Rx in my life. I may not manage it, but i'm headed that way.

It is what 90% of Americans seem to do. We have given away our power, and in doing so have become a very sick nation. I attribute 30% of my current state of (ill) health to my trust in those doctors and lack of faith in my own ability to trust what i was feeling. (I attribute 60% to poor diet and taking the meds that were recommended and other bad choices, and 10% to circumstances beyond my control. I had the 30/60% reversed at first, but once again, i think that is giving them too much power and not taking enough responsibility for my own choices.)

Sadly, many people will never "wake up" to the fact that trusting doctors at the expense of using their own brains is a very dangerous and deadly way to live.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Good job, Islander! You are doing great at keeping your BS controlled. Congrats.

Have you all seen that new commercial that shows a quartet (?) on stage playing music and the violin player is wearing a white lab coat and sounding atrocious? The narrator states that you wouldn't want your doctor to do your job so why are you doing your doctor's job.
    It's similar to this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m_ocIvUI24
    They so badly want us to stay uninformed.

Another one to add to the collection of "List of reasons why Islander doesn't have a television." Not that commercials would convince me of anything. They must work for some people — otherwise why would they keep making them?

Katee,
    Well said. My personal goal is to get to where I never have to take another supplement.........I'm not as worried about Rx meds because I am so very careful with them. But I certainly hope I don't ever have to have any new Rxes.

I don't expect ever to go w/o supplements. No way could I get 4-6 grams of C or keep my D levels up w/o supplementation, not where I live.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information