Thread: How Common is MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity)?

Default How Common is MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity)?

BY STANLEY M. CARESS, PH.D. AND ANNE C. STEINEMANN, PH.D.
    Created on April 24th, 2007. Last Modified on January 11th, 2010

This study determined the prevalence of chemical hypersensitivity and the medical diagnosis of multiple chemical sensitivities (MCS) in the American population. The etiology and symptomatology of MCS were also investigated. A telephone survey of 1,054 randomly selected individuals within the continental United States was used, which produced a 95% confidence level and a +/– 3% confidence interval.
    The study found that 11.2% of Americans reported an unusual hypersensitivity to common chemical products such as perfume, fresh paint, pesticides, and other petrochemical based substances, and 2.5% reported being medically diagnosed with MCS. Additionally, 31.1% of the sample reported adverse reactions to fragranced products, and 17.6% experienced breathing difficulties and other health problems when exposed to air fresheners. While chemical hypersensitivity was more common in females, it affected individuals in all demographic groups studied.

Despite concerns that hypersensitivity to low levels of common chemicals is a ubiquitous public health problem, until now its prevalence in the American population had not been established. Chemical hypersensitivity, often called multiple chemical sensitivities (MCS), is also referred to as toxicant-induced loss of tolerance or environmental illness. It is typically acknowledged to be a condition characterized by acute reactions that occur after exposure to even low levels of common chemical products such as fragrances, household cleaners, fresh paints, newsprint, pesticides, and other products that contain petrochemicals. MCS can produce a wide range of symptoms, and individuals with the hypersensitivity can encounter great difficulty functioning in normal working and living environments.

Read more: http://www.healthyhouseinstitute.com...al_Sensitivity

Default Re: How Common is MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity)?

It's good to see some actual numbers rather than speculation!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Sadly, from my experience, when people have MCS, they are also labeled as hypochondriacs.

This is great Aaltrude...now of only it would be accepted over here as more than a psychiatric problem. The new ICD-10 (international coding book for diagnosis) actually has a diagnostic code that sort of relates to MCS, however, MCS as an illness is only formally recognized in THREE countries: Germany, Austria and Japan. This is something that has got to change but I don't see it happening soon. If they recognized it as real, then they would have to accept that people are disabled by it, they would have to take a serious look at chemicals etc etc. The government is NOT going to willingly allow more disability and big business will make sure that they continue to buy silence on the hazards.

I use fragrance/color free laundry detergent for my family due to skin sensitivities. Is there anything to use/add, non irritating, to give a clean scent?

Jane might know of some essential oils -- I have heard you can put a drop or two on washcloth and toss in dryer if I remember correctly but I don't do that.

Laundry isn't supposed to be scented -- the chemical industry has brainwashed the general population to think our laundry has to have a certain smell to be clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Good-day View Post
    I use fragrance/color free laundry detergent for my family due to skin sensitivities. Is there anything to use/add, non irritating, to give a clean scent?
    If you are having problems with odor in your clothing, try adding 1 to 2 cups (depending on load size) white vinegar to the rinse cycle. Essential oils, if you can tolerate would help but they need to be real, food grade, not anything with artificial ingredients/fragrances. Like Reesacat said, you can put a few drops on a cloth and toss in dryer if you really need a scent. I find that the vinegar works just fine even for the dog beds. Vinegar has an added bonus of helping soften clothing too without the need for fabric softener.

Quote Originally Posted by reesacat View Post
    laundry isn't supposed to be scented -- the chemical industry has brainwashed the general population to think our laundry has to have a certain smell to be clean.
    support!!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Laundry that is washed using soapnuts and line dried in the sun has a lovely "clean" smell without any scents.

If you had a little boy, you'd know why I'm asking! Thanks -

Thread Information