Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soil Testing - how to get your plants their "multi-mineral" supplement

Default Re: Soil Testing - how to get your plants their "multi-mineral" supplement

Quote Originally Posted by Aaltrude View Post
    Whenever we visit the beach we try to come home with bags of seaweed and bottles of sea water to help fertilize the vege garden.
    Good practice. Lake Michigan has lots of Cladophora on the beaches. I am always tempted to bring some home for the garden. Alas the lake is high in mercury and PCB's. Too bad, it would make a great fertilizer.

Default Re: Soil Testing - how to get your plants their "multi-mineral" supplement

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneharbor View Post
    I bet you searched within the HH forum? I meant to search inside the link mentioned in my post:
    Don't be a silly goose, of course I searched w/in your link. Could not bring it up. Nor did I get it w/ Stephen's help. Finaly gave up & Googled it since I wanted to get the current price anyway. Amazingly, the cost of the basic test has not gone up in 12 years: still $15.

1. Standard Soil Test (pH; Lime Index; Available Phosphorus, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfur, Boron, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Sodium, Zinc by modified Morgan method; Organic matter; Lead scan; Calculated Cation Exchange Capacity). Recommendations for corrective amendments.
    method; Organic matter; Lead scan; Calculated Cation Exchange Capacity). Recommendations for corrective amendments.

For another $7:
    1A. Comprehensive Soil Test: Standard Test plus Available nitrogen (Nitrate plus Ammonium) – Most appropriate for samples taken from May to September.

I suspect that any Land Grant university offers the same service.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    .... Recommendations for corrective amendments.
    What I liked especially about the NCAT Sustainable Agriculture Project link was that it provided a thumbnail of services available for each soil testing laboratory, but since the whole page was about "alternative" agriculture, it seemed to make sure the reader was aware of any tests that organic farmers might appreciate, and any recommendations that could be made in terms of organic soil amendments instead of just "NPK".

For instance, for the University of Maine Soil Testing Service it mentioned "Organic fertilizer recommendations available on request.", so you might try asking for the recommendations in terms of organic material.

As to any Land Grant University offering the same services, I shudder to admit that South Carolina does not come close to offering all that you described on their soil test. Or at least did not 4 years ago when my soil was tested. I got no measurement of sulfur, iron, organic matter, lead, or calculated CEC!

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneharbor View Post
    I bet you searched within the HH forum? I meant to search inside the link mentioned in my post:

It's here again: https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/viewhtml.php?id=285

It is such an awfully long page, I thought I'd give you an easy way to find it instead of reading through all that prose. Why can't people just write technical articles as poems?
    Oh. I knew I had to be doing something wrong, so I went back and tried AGAIN. It's just a communication mishmosh. When you said, "search inside the link," I thought you meant Go to the link and type "Maine soil testing service" into the search box on the page — which brings up something irrelevant. What you actually wanted me to do was scroll down through that page until I found it — or better yet, do a FIND for the page (Command + F) which only occurred to me now as I was typing this. Anyway I found it, and thank you, and sorry to cause all this much grief!

Oh. I knew I had to be doing something wrong, so I went back and tried AGAIN. It's just a communication mishmosh. When you said, "search inside the link," I thought you meant Go to the link and type "Maine soil testing service" into the search box on the page — which brings up something irrelevant. What you actually wanted me to do was scroll down through that page until I found it — or better yet, do a FIND for the page (Command + F)
    Yikes! You are right. Search and Find have technical definitions with respect to internet browsing and I used the wrong word! Sorry for the mishmosh communication. I just learned something. I didn't even notice there was a "search" box on that particular web page. I should have said "Find".

While I'm on the subject of finding things, I will repeat that if one finds the following heading in the reference:
    Web Sites on Soil Testing (It is also reachable from the table of contents at the top of the web page)

Then from there on to the end there are a lot of marvelous links to how to do organic gardening. Some I've found are dead ends, but others are to very informative articles. (No wonder our government removed funding for this project - It's SO anti-Monsanto!). Harvest ye rosebuds while ye may.

I generally wait till they bloom. Then I harvest the hips.

Glad we got THAT cleared up!

I generally wait till they bloom. Then I harvest the hips.

Glad we got THAT cleared up!
    Oh, Islander, you are way too practical. Once in a while pick that choice rosebud! You won't notice it's missing when you harvest the hips.

Well...only if it's about to bloom. Everyone keeps telling me to smell them, you know.

And everyone keeps telling me that "a rose is a rose". So I try to see them all as equal, buds, blooms, hips. Aha! This bud's for me.

I have to stop here. I can't top that!

Well, just remember, when everything's coming up roses next year, it's because you harvested so many hips and let the seeds get into the compost. Don't say I didn't tell you.

Hahaha, I can tell you think this is funny. How about this: 15 years ago I planted a stick. It was about a foot long. I stuck it in a sandy place and dared it to survive. It leafed out and grew into a pretty rugosa rose with fragrant white blooms.

And grew. And grew. I thought, How nice, a rose hedge. But it kept going. I was running a horticulture business, I didn't have time to chase errant rosebushes! Damn things invaded my perennial bed. After I retired, I paid a handyman to don leather gloves and go in after them. He cleared out a few, but not nearly enough. If anyone would like a deterrent hedge...to keep out the neighbors' dogs (or even the neighbors themselves), let me know. I'll send you a stick.

Does it grow high enough to act as a wind break. We could use it in areas where we need one that won't be eaten by animals

Easily 5' in poor soil. Maybe 6', I wasn't paying attention.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information