Thread: Why 'Natural Flavor' Isn't Necessarily Natural

Default Why 'Natural Flavor' Isn't Necessarily Natural

Written by Erin Shaw
    No Date

It’s at the end of many ingredient lists in processed food: “natural flavor.” But what substances fall under this benign label? What natural sources are they extracted from? If you shop in the center aisles of the grocery store, chances are those natural flavor ingredients came from an unexpected source and spent some time being swished around in a beaker.

Food science defines natural by what it is not: the FDA “has not developed a definition for use of the term natural or its derivatives. However, the agency has not objected to the use of the term if the food does not contain added color, artificial flavors, or synthetic substances.”

This non-definition gives food companies plenty of room to tout “All Natural” on their packages even with ingredients that have been hydrolised, distilled and emulsified to taste completely different. Both natural and artificial flavors are chemicals – the distinction is whether they are completely synthetic or first derived from a natural source.

Read more: http://www.organicauthority.com/food...al-flavor.html

Default Re: Why 'Natural Flavor' Isn't Necessarily Natural

The label "natural" is one of the most misleading tags out there. It makes people believe the product is somehow healthy. Dog poop and arsenic are natural, so is the stuff you blow out of your nose. My favorite is "natural flavoring" which usually means MSG

Default Re: Why 'Natural Flavor' Isn't Necessarily Natural

I thinks I've written about the time we visited a small scale ice cream factory owned by an old acquaintance of my hubby type. While we were walking around I noticed a bottle of "natural flavors" the clear plastic bottle had warnings for fire hazard and to wear goggles for eye protection. Had we not been quests, I would have taken photos.

Thread Information