Thread: Phosphatidyl Serine

Default Phosphatidyl Serine

01-09-06
    Dani Veracity

The link between old age and forgetfulness is cliché enough to be the subject of greeting cards, sitcoms and jokes. We take it for granted so often that very few of us take the time to question why it happens. However, experts may have found the answer in an essential fatty acid called phosphatidylserine. Our bodies need this phospholipid to build brain cell membranes that are fluid enough to release the neurotransmitters acetylcholine and dopamine, but luckily, our brains normally manufacture enough phosphatidylserine (PS) to keep us in top mental order. However, when we reach middle age, our levels of PS begin to decline -- an effect that is worsened by deficiencies of other essential fatty acids, folic acid or vitamin B12. Because PS is necessary for effective neurotransmission, PS deficiency is linked to mental impairment, including Alzheimer's and non-Alzheimer's dementia, depression and Parkinson's disease among middle-aged and elderly people.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/016646.html#ixzz1oIsgF0pb

Default Re: Phosphatidyl Serine

Good post. Taught me something I hadn't heard about. Pilamaya yelo. Akita mani yo!

Thx for the reminder, WR. Now there's a 5-mg. B12 under my tongue!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I don't personally consider any polyunsaturated fats to be "essential".

Whoo! Have you seen how much this stuff costs? At 300mg per day it would be way beyond my budget!

I'm inclined to think that a diet with adequate meat, fish, eggs and dairy would supply sufficient phospholipids for brain health. Keeping the brain active is the other half of the equation — and that part is up to us. It's the old use-it-or-lose-it cliché but it works for brain circuitry as well as muscle tissue.

• Use intention, be in the moment. The older brain is more easily distracted. When you go to the workbench to get a screwdriver, keep your mind on the screwdriver and not on your daughter's upcoming visit or the bills waiting to be paid. Focus!

• Don't let your brain slip into passive mode. Reading keeps it active. Writing is even better. Thinking and writing about what you read here (as I'm doing now) is exercise for the mind.

• Engage in mind challenges like crossword puzzles, logic puzzles and sudoku. That's calisthenics for the brain too.

Letting the mind slip into neutral is sure to leave your memory at idling speed. Keep it engaged, busy and productive, and I don't think you'll require pricey supplements for brain health!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information