Thread: Adie and the Magic of Coconut Oil

Default Adie and the Magic of Coconut Oil

Jane Chitty
    14 March 2012

My young granddaughter was recently found to be lactose intolerant which meant that we had to take her off dairy products as they were causing a red rash on her face and elsewhere on her body. We found that instead, she could have the occasional organic dark chocolate treat, she could add rice milk or almond milk to her breakfast cereal and in place of ordinary butter, she was very excited to have magic butter (namely coconut oil). She called it magic because as she spread it with her knife, it disappeared completely into her toast or her bread.

And of course Adie was not far off with her “magic” butter because coconut oil offers a myriad of magical health benefits whether you use it internally or externally.

- Coconut oil works wonders as a moisturizer for all skin types and even more so if you have dry or ageing skin. It is the fat in the oil that helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles without any irritation. In addition, coconut oil can help to moisturize other skin conditions such as psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and more. Coconut oil is a popular ingredient in some of the more expensive skin care products – but now you know their secret too!

- We all get the odd stressful situation but you can actually help diffuse such occasions by giving yourself a bit of a coconut oil massage which works in two ways. One, you will relieve the stress and tiredness by applying the coconut oil in a circular, massaging motion to your head and two, the lovely soothing coconut scent will actually lower your stress level.

- Do you suffer from digestive problems including irritable bowel syndrome? Coconut oil can come to the rescue yet again because the saturated fats in the oil are high in properties that firstly, help you absorb vitamins, minerals and amino acids in your other healthy foods and secondly, help to control any parasites and fungus that could be causing indigestion and other gut problems.

- Many people shy away from oils and fats because they fear putting on weight. Well, coconut oil is a natural low calorie fat so you can safely use it by the spoonful, as a spread or in your baking, in your quest to lose weight. It is said that coconut oil will stimulate your metabolism, improve your thyroid function and escalate your energy levels, helping to decrease any unwanted fat but increasing muscle.

- Coconut oil has healing properties too. You can safely apply some of the oil to any scrapes, cuts and bruises where it forms a thin protective layer for any wound, keeping out dust, bacteria and other nasties while at the same time helping to repair damaged tissue.

- For a wonderful and 100% natural hair conditioner, think coconut oil. After you have washed and rinsed your hair with shampoo, massage some coconut oil into your hair and leave it on for up to 30 minutes to do its work of nutrition for the hair and the scalp. when the time is up, rinse it off again and notice the difference!

Get into the coconut oil habit by making sure you always have a jar in the house. If the weather is warm, the oil will become runny and in time could even go rancid, so pop it into the refrigerator for safe keeping and build up your habit by starting with a teaspoon of coconut oil daily. Too much to begin with and you might find it upsets your stomach. It is rather rich – and magical – after all!

http://www.amoils.com/health-blog/ad...f-coconut-oil/

Default Re: Adie and the Magic of Coconut Oil

Good information. I keep some chunks in a jar lid by my computer. I take a taste now and then, and use it as a moisturizer as well.

One question. You say, "coconut oil is a natural low calorie fat." Actually the calorie count is about the same as butter or mayonnaise. It's just absorbed/metabolized differently, as I understand it, so those calories do not go to body fat. Is that fair to say?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    You say, "coconut oil is a natural low calorie fat." Actually the calorie count is about the same as butter or mayonnaise. It's just absorbed/metabolized differently, as I understand it, so those calories do not go to body fat. Is that fair to say?
    Sounds good to me!

A delightful article about one of my favorite foods!

Jane, you say 'in time it will go rancid'. I had understood that coconut oil will keep for two years without refrigeration. Certainly my house gets very hot in summer, and the oil goes liquid, but no problems with rancidity.

Julieanne, this was just my personal experience. I definitely had a jar go rancid in my kitchen in the height of summer (also very hot here in SA) and even after I had put it in the fridge, it just did not taste right. Ever since I have kept in the fridge during the summer months. May be it was just a fluke?

I haven't had trouble but I use it up pretty quick and keep the air conditioning on as heat makes me ill.

I'm tempted to drink it when it melts in its container.

I recently found a small jar in the back of my pantry that has to be at least 3 years old. I had been opened. It still smells and looks fine. I'm not throwing it away!

All the organic coconut oil I have bought appears to keep well at room temperature however I did once buy a jar of non organic coconut oil. It was rancid.

Does anyone else get troublesome insomnia when they have coconut at night?
    I get absolutely wired on the stuff. I guess it is the antithesis of a goitrogen?

Samurai, everything wires you. Please please please do not ever try cocaine!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Samurai, everything wires you. Please please please do not ever try cocaine!
    Oh man. I have tried it. Summer of 1989 in Santa Fe. I had some cocaine with sparkling wine.
    It would be the last time I would ever have either.
    Oh, how our youth is wasted on the young!

It actually took me a while to be convinced that coconut oil was even edible. My only experience with it had been many, many years ago in Sri Lanka, in a cheap hostel. They cooked the eggs in coconut oil and it tasted like soap! Put me off for years.

Doubt if it was anywhere near the quality you can buy today - organic, cold-pressed etc.

Thread Information