Thread: Marinated Meats Less Toxic

Default Marinated Meats Less Toxic

Jon Barron
    11 August 2008

Even vegetarians sometimes admit that the smell of meat cooking on the grill makes them swoon with pleasure (or pain). But that sultry aroma masks the fact that grilled meats are highly carcinogenic, because cooking at high temperatures causes meat to produce compounds called heterocyclic amines (HCA), which have strong links to colorectal, stomach, lung, pancreatic, breast, and prostate cancers. And it's not just grilling that causes this problem; it's cooking meat at high heat, whether by broiling, frying, or barbecuing. In fact, cooking in any form at temperatures above 375 degrees F (190.5 degrees C) raises the HCA levels by enormous amounts. One study found a threefold increase in HCA levels when cooking temperature was increased from 392 to 482 Fahrenheit.

Read more : http://www.jonbarron.org/natural-hea...pplements-meat

Default Re: Marinated Meats Less Toxic

Good to know the temps that are considered "high temperature". My husband doesn't like crispy browned meat, so we both probably benefit from his preferences. Left to myself, I'd cremate everything, at least on the outside. Maybe that grilled kinda burned crispy brown surface on meat is addictive, LOL.

I wish he had given recipes for the marinades, and stated whether they were dry rubs or mixed into a liquid of some kind so that the meat was soaked in liquid marinade. I brine a lot of meats, but probably that doesn't do the same thing.

I could be wrong but I think brining would accomplish much the same thing. I thought marinading was soaking in liquid....different from a dry rub.

I have gone without meat since 1965. I draw my line at creatures with backbones. I am thin and healthy and in better shape than most people 30 years younger. But I do admit that the smell of quality bacon being cooked can still make my mouth water.

Been there, done that, got steadily sicker and sicker. Possibly I did not do it right, but my health did not begin to turn around until I added meat and animal products back into my diet about 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sollyb View Post
    Left to myself, I'd cremate everything, at least on the outside.
    When I ate meat (growing up) that's the only way I would eat it. I would order steaks well-done. People were horrified and my family made fun of my skimpy charred burgers. If I found pink anywhere I wouldn't eat it. I think that I just don't like the actual taste of red meat but I do like that grill flavor -- love grilled veggies.

I eventually went vegetarian for about 15 years but added fish back in on occasion (and very rarely white turkey) because I think I struggle to get enough protein.

It's good to know that the herbs help with reducing the HCA levels in meat cooked at high temps. It's probably the same basis for putting herbs in sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by sollyb View Post
    Been there, done that, got steadily sicker and sicker. Possibly I did not do it right, but my health did not begin to turn around until I added meat and animal products back into my diet about 10 years ago.
    Mind you, I do eat eggs and dairy products for an animal protein source. I don't eat fake meat. I had some lobster tonight (no backbone) and it was most delish.

Thread Information