Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vitamin D - have you been tested yet?

Default Re: Vitamin D - have you been tested yet?

I so hope you have good results, Jane

Well I just got my results today. Today it was 158! I recently saw an alternative doctor and she's the one who tested. She didn't freak but said that most of her CFIDS patients don't do well starting in the 120s and feels like it may be causing some of the pain and fatigue increase I've been having; not "toxicity" per se. So, she wants it below 100 which I think is very reasonable. She advised me to stop D3 for 3 weeks, then go back to 5000IU/day and retest in 90 days.

Sounds like a plan. I had a friend who topped 100 and I suggested she back off a mite! Forget the redline at which toxicity is reached...250? Agree, Mellow, some of that could rebound in unanticipated ways.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Wow, Mellow! That must have been a bit of a shock!

I said I would post my results and, as Islander said, I have received them but nothing so spectacular...from being deficient this time last year at 23 ng/mL, I have risen up to 62 ng/mL so I am very pleased. I also spend some 30 minutes a day in the sun almost nude plus during the winter months, I took 8000 IUs per day. I have stopped taking that again now that it is summer here but will go back to it when I move to England at the end of February.

That's a healthy rise Jane. I'm not worried about the result; actually happy because it shows I've reversed the malabsorption.

@Jane Chitty: Congratulations on numbers that are almost triple what they were last year this time. I've never been anywhere near 60 ng. That's fantastic news!!

In October (annual comprehensive blood panels) my vitamin D, 25 Hydroxy was 26.5 [lab range 30.0 - 100.0]. 4th year of testing, and this is the lowest it has been. Highest result was first year of testing 2009 when it was 35.7. It has gone down every year since.

Quote Originally Posted by sollyb View Post
    In October (annual comprehensive blood panels) my vitamin D, 25 Hydroxy was 26.5 [lab range 30.0 - 100.0]. 4th year of testing, and this is the lowest it has been. Highest result was first year of testing 2009 when it was 35.7. It has gone down every year since.
    Solly, what have you been doing to raise it? Are you including the co-factors as well?

Not to beat the dead horse, but magnesium and vitamin K2 are important for the proper assimilation of D.

Islander and Maurya
    My efforts to raise D levels through supplements continually meet with frustration because of my allergies, and sensitivities. Supplements are a big problem for me.

I am sorry to read of your frustrations, sollyb. I am wondering if it is worth sending a question about it to the vitamin D Council to see if they can come up with a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by sollyb View Post
    Islander and Maurya: My efforts to raise D levels through supplements continually meet with frustration because of my allergies, and sensitivities. Supplements are a big problem for me.
    Can you tolerate a supp made from lanolin rather than fish? For example, Nature's Answer D3 in EVOO are derived from lanolin.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong View Post
    Can you tolerate a supp made from lanolin rather than fish? For example, Nature's Answer D3 in EVOO are derived from lanolin.
    Yes, D3 from lanolin is what I take. I can't take it daily on a regular basis as it begins to cause me to feel worse. The supporting supplement magnesium is the worst for me. I have never found one that doesn't cause me to have diarrhea at even 100 mg doses (though sometimes I can get away with one dose without the GI effect, but if I take 100 mg two days in a row, I will have the runs much worse). Since I tend to always be on the verge of diarrhea, and lately leakage has been a bad problem........makes magnesium impossible. I do have mag threonate to try, but with the current ongoing problem I'm not willing to try it now. From all sides all I read is how wonderful magnesium is, how I'm probably deficient.....but I can't tolerate it. Vit K has also caused problems, but I can't even remember exactly what they were........but I'm about fed up with supplements. I may end up pitching them all.

Solly, have you ever tried external applications of magnesium, like magnesium oil or a soak in epsom salts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information