Thread: Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Default Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Pete Guither
    undated

Many people assume that marijuana was made illegal through some kind of process involving scientific, medical, and government hearings; that it was to protect the citizens from what was determined to be a dangerous drug.
    The actual story shows a much different picture. Those who voted on the legal fate of this plant never had the facts, but were dependent on information supplied by those who had a specific agenda to deceive lawmakers. You’ll see below that the very first federal vote to prohibit marijuana was based entirely on a documented lie on the floor of the Senate.

You’ll also see that the history of marijuana’s criminalization is filled with:
    • Racism
    • Fear
    • Protection of Corporate Profits
    • Yellow Journalism
    • Ignorant, Incompetent, and/or Corrupt Legislators
    • Personal Career Advancement and Greed

These are the actual reasons marijuana is illegal.

http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/...juana-illegal/
    Last edited by Islander; 04-16-12 at 10:11 AM.

Default Re: Why Is Marijuana Illegal?

Interesting coincidence - three articles on cannabis in one day!

I'm tired so maybe am missing something, but I think this article is saying industrial hemp and marijuana are the same plant and my understanding is they are different....

The differences are:

Marijuana and hemp are different varieties of the same species of plant, Cannabis sativa L. There are different varieties of Cannabis, just as Chihuahuas and wolves are different breeds of Canis lupus. They are scientifically different and cultivated in different ways.
    Marijuana is the flowering tops and leaves of psychoactive varieties of Cannabis that are grown for their high THC content.
    It is used legally in some states, excluding Wisconsin, for medical reasons, and is used for recreational purposes as an illegal drug.
    Unlike hemp, marijuana has a high THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol) content and a low CBD (cannabidiol) content. CBD blocks the psychoactive effect of THC in the nervous system. That means in all plants in the Cannabis family, there is a chemical that will induce a psychoactive effect and another that will block it. The illegal drug is cultivated to have a THC content of anywhere from 3 percent to 22 percent. The ratio of CBD to THC is less than one.
    Hemp, or industrial hemp, is a cultivated, low-THC variety of Cannabis. It is grown for its seeds, oil and fiber.
    Industrial hemp has a low THC content compared to its CBD content. THC is typically less than 1 percent. Certified varieties in Canada and Europe are bred with the THC level purposefully decreased to less than .3 percent, the same THC level under recommendation if hemp farming is legalized in Wisconsin.
    Ditch weed is hemp found growing in the wild, usually near places where it was once cultivated. It has a low THC level.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/ct/article_f...#ixzz1sDY2xVbo

Reesacat is quite right. You could not possibly get high on hemp; visually they appear the same, but what you see is phenotype, not genotype.
    What some lawmakers fear (or so they say) is that in the middle of a field of legally grown hemp, one could cultivate tens of thousands of dollars' worth of illegal mary jane, which would go unnoticed.

I think the day may come when we see marijuana legalized, controlled and taxed everywhere. Though I don't personally care for the buzz, I can't wait for that day to come!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I would really like to see a return of the growing of hemp since it is so useful and sustainable. I used to want marijuana to be legalized, but now not so much. After being around various people who use it regularly, I'm turned off by the notion.

My contrarian view on this subject is much like my view on others: Don't like to get high on reefer? Just don't smoke one.

I'll chime in here and say that police and prison resources are wasted on non-criminals who've been busted for having less than half an ounce of weed on their person. It makes absoluitely no sense to me that alcohol, which involves drunk drivers and addiction, and costs lives, should be legal while a harmless herb (which most users do quietly, and who are unimpaired when they drive home, if they ever left home) should be criminalized. And it has more medicinal uses than brandy!

Because it can get a person high. and for being high I mean making the person does things that are the result of being high. Some are just extremely outrageous and out of control. If you know a person who is suffering an addiction with weeds try checking him into a Sober Living Homes. or visit Casanuevovida.com which specializes in addiction treatment. Giving you the second chance that every one deserves.

Jordan, marijuana is not physically addictive.

Veteran Member

Jordan, not all "highs" are the same, some will make you rambunctious and hostile or violent. Pot actually makes you mellow out and has very few physical effects other than the munchies, along with enhanced perception. Avoid the chemicals and man made stuff and go with what Mother Nature gave you. And as Islander pointed out, it is NOT addictive or ever been shown to cause any deaths from overdosing. Do you speak from personal experience or do you work for Sober Living Homes? It affects different people in different ways, keep that in mind.

William Randolf Hearst funded the movie "Reefer Madness" to protect his timber industry. He did not want any competition from hemp fiber, which is far superior to wood pulp for making paper. The best way to destroy outdoor cultivation of cannabis is to allow farmers to grow hemp. That way the psychoactive cannabis would cross with the industrial hemp and make the seeds useless for future cannabis crops. The genetics of the seeds determines the potency of the cannabis. Why do you think growers pay $10 a seed? Is it 4:20 yet?
    mitakuye oyasin na akita mani yo!

Back to say I've changed my mind. I wish we would just hurry up and legalize the stuff. It's gonna happen eventually anyway. I'm now thinking the sooner the better so we can move onto more important topics, like getting our constitution back.

Just FTR, there are 2 type of cannabis, indica and sativa. Indica has an intellectual effect; it's cerebral, stimulates creativity, fights depression. Sativa is calming, relaxing, stimulates appetite, relieves nausea, stress, anxiety, induces sleep. Most weed on the market is a blend — some a bit higher in one, some in another.

Quote Originally Posted by bmc65 View Post
    Back to say I've changed my mind. I wish we would just hurry up and legalize the stuff. It's gonna happen eventually anyway. I'm now thinking the sooner the better so we can move onto more important topics, like getting our constitution back.
    The "war on drugs" has cost over a trillion dollars; and has destroyed the 4th amendment to the Constitution. On another note: Islander you continue to amaze me. Lila washte!
    mitakuye oyasin na akita mani yo!

There is a really good video here on Hawkes' Health about juicing raw marijuana for MS and other diseases — you get some amazing immune system benefits but not the psychotrophic effects so you can stay alert and take care of your children, etc.

The link to the video LEAF: The Health Benefits of Juicing Raw Cannabis:

http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...ad.php?t=11807

Thread Information