Thread: Open Sesame! 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of This Super-Seed

Default Open Sesame! 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of This Super-Seed

April 26th 2012 by Sayer Ji

Sesame (Sesamun indicum) is one of the oldest cultivated plants in the world, prized as an oilseed for at least 5,000 years. While it is beginning to regain favor due to its exceptionally high calcium and magnesium content, few realize it is also one of the most potent medicinal foods still commonly consumed today.
    In fact, its history as a medicine goes back 3600 years to Egyptian times where it was listed in the scrolls of the Ebers as a favored medicine. Also, women in ancient Babylon were believed to use a mixture of honey and sesame seeds (havla) to prolong youth and beauty, and Roman soldiers ate the mixture for strength and energy.
    In the past twenty years, a glut of scientific information has poured in demonstrating that sesame seed, and its components, have over three dozen documented therapeutic properties [see sesame research page]. Given these new revelations, it would seem that sesame would be just as at home in a medicine cabinet as it would be a kitchen cupboard.
    Here are just 10 evidence-based medicinal properties of this food-medicine:

Read more: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/ope...its-super-seed

Veteran Member

Default Re: Open Sesame! 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of This Super-Seed

Don't have time to read the whole article now (will later, though), but I'm glad to hear that sesame may be even better than I realized! It's one of the things we can get very reasonably priced from our organic coop, so we always have it on hand. I soak it a bit and roast it on low heat in the oven. Then bit by bit my husband crushes it for me (usually with a bit of salt) with a wooden mallet-like kitchen implement used mainly for mashing potatoes here. We use it on green salads and such. Well, actually, my husband uses it on many things! When he likes something, he's not particular about how he eats it! It's delicious!

Thread Information